Menu

100 ez lessons to read.....

mlgbug

so those who have used it, did it work? how old was your child? did you do only one lesson a day? and, did it take ALL 100 lessons for your child to be able to read?

we are on lesson 4 with my 4 year old and she really enjoys it. its quick and she wishes we could keep going, but im agrain to do more lessons. shes learned the sounds m,s,a....so for fun after the lesson i wrote the word sam, and she did it slow then i told her to say it fast and she got it. i could see this working.

did you do just one lesson a day? i review, we do, but she wants to do more. the only thing she gets bored with is the say it fast, but i can see how that helps them when they combine sounds and say it fast....

my sil just saw the book on your table, and said "only you would be stupid enough to buy that book", now im using it with my 4 year old, her 6 year old is going into first grade catholic school....we'll see whos reading firsT!

I have taught 4 children to read with 100 EZ. I agree with the previous poster; by about lesson 60, they were ready to read other books. It's a great day when they realize, "Hey! I know what words in OTHER books say, too!"

My children have been between 4.5 and 5.5 when I used 100 EZ--it depended greatly on their readiness and motivation. Some times we tried it for a while, and then put it aside if it was too frustrating. Once they "got" it, though, they often wanted to double up on lessons--near the end of the book, there are a lot of two-part stories--and they never wanted to wait an extra day to find out how the story ended!

HTH

Korrie

I used this with B when he was 5. We did only one lesson a day (minus the writing part--he didn't have the motor skills,) and we did go through the whole book, although he was reading before we finished (don't remember at what point anymore, though.) He was and is a strong reader who loves to read. :)

I started using this with T when he was almost 5 (didn't work), put it away, and tried again several months later. It was a total bust. (He had good motor skills, so I tried Spell to Write and Read with him, which worked beautifully.)

I've tried the 100EZ lessons with D, too. I think we've started 3 separate times. It's just not going to work for her. She doesn't get the "say it fast/say it slow" stuff, no matter how many times it's demonstrated. I've since moved on to OPGTR with her (got stuck on blending) and am currently using Phonics Pathways, which seems to be working well. Unfortunately, we haven't been doing any reading lessons lately, due to my "morning" sickness and extreme fatigue. :(

I am hanging on to 100EZ lesson, though, because it may just work for L or the new baby! :D

my sil just saw the book on your table, and said "only you would be stupid enough to buy that book",

Seriously? She said that? That's just mean. :glare: I know so many people who have had success with that book and others like it. Is that an anti-homeschooling sentiment? Does she just not think it'w worthwhile for us to teach our own children something?:confused:

We did more than more one lesson on some of the earlier ones. After about lesson 20 the excitement wore off for my son and he did not get giddy about doing it anymore. We trekked on through and finally finished this summer. He could already read a few easy readers that we got from Starfall before we got 100 EZL. He was reading some Seuss and other things of that nature by 35-40. We did not do the writing portion because he was already learning to make letters and we had a special "letter of the week" that we focused on each week. I also did not go right by the pre-written script. I said things in my own words so it was less like I was reading and more like we were just talking together. He was five at the time.

I have had success with it. My oldest began with it at age 4.5 but it took her a while to finally get it. It wasn't until she was 7 was she finally able to complete the book When we first started she started with gusto then we hit a brick wall at lesson 20 and there she stayed for a long time. It wasn't u ntil my second daughter wanted to learn to read at age 4.5 and my oldest seeing her 2nd sister do it so well that she finally caved in and we finished the book. My 2nd daughter ate through 100 EZ lessons and did so well she was up and reading by the time she was 5. Now at age 9 she reads just as well as her 11 yr old sister.

Right now I am using Headsprout with my third daughter though. I didn't have the 100 EZ lessons book for her ( I think I might of loaned it out and never got it back) but I am thinking of pulling it out eventually. I do bring the book out on occasion because my 2 yr old wants to be like her sisters. She tries. I don't expect much at this age but she wants to and that's all that counts.

Don't let others put you down. You can have great success with it if you know when to keep going and when to slow down.

yeah i think its gonna work. and these early lessons i think ill double up. the 10 mins is too short for her....

i dont know. see dd is still 4 she went to prek last year 2 dauys a week just cause, well i dont know really, try to lighten up the attachment issues....i cant even go to the batheroom alone, forget a date with hubby. and it worked, dh and i are kinda keeping the whole homeschooling to ourselves. they dont ask we dont tell. but, she is just a hater i guess....maybe shes jelous i sit down and teach her, rather than let her run woild ALL DAY...just 1/2 the day :)

We just did lesson 100 today. My ds (turned 7 in April) stumbles his way through it. I plan to start him with some Bob books and other things tomorrow, and in Sept. we'll be doing MFW 1st, which has phonics instruction, which he definitely still needs a LOT of. He is most definitely not a fluent reader at all.

We did a lesson a day. I hope he is a fluent reader by the time he turns 8.:001_huh:

I've used it on 2 kids and am in the process with my third. I wouldn't say that any of them loved it, but they got through it and were reading well by the end. Following up with Pathway readers and ETC cemented things and they really took off. My oldest started right before her 3rd birthday. We sometimes broke the lesson in half. Not sure when we finished it but she loved reading Magic Treehouse books when she was 4. My middle child started late, she needed speech therapy, but then moved through it pretty quickly. My current 4 yo is on lesson 39, she does a lesson a day. Sometimes asks for more but I never go on to another lesson, we might just read a few more words or sounds. I want to give things time to sink in. We do 3 or 4 lessons a week.

Glad it's working for you!

so those who have used it, did it work? how old was your child? did you do only one lesson a day? and, did it take ALL 100 lessons for your child to be able to read?

we are on lesson 4 with my 4 year old and she really enjoys it. its quick and she wishes we could keep going, but im agrain to do more lessons. shes learned the sounds m,s,a....so for fun after the lesson i wrote the word sam, and she did it slow then i told her to say it fast and she got it. i could see this working.

I used it with a 4.5/5yo and also a 6yo. We did only one lesson per day. It did NOT take them all 100 lessons. :)

I can honestly say I much prefer the Ordinary Parent's Guide. While the funky writing never bothered our dd when it came to switch to "normal" fonts, it did bother our ds. :001_smile:

I used it with Alexander. We would sometimes do double lessons when we were at the early lessons and otherwise just one a day. As others have said he was ready to move on to other things around lesson 60 or so--we just moved on to him reading his own books (Magic Tree House, abridged classics while we would read the "real" version during family read-aloud, etc).

Obviously all kids learn differently and have different strengths but here is my anecdotal 'evidence'. With London we were doing Waldorf-inspired homeschooling and she learned to read the Waldorf-inspired way. She ended up needing quite a bit of remedial help with phonics and was a reluctant reader. Now, a couple of years ago she totally took off and now reads high school level books but I really worried about her for awhile (she was also my first homeschooler and, well, worried too much anyway about whether or not I could do it). With that said, she is an atrocious speller.

Alexander learned to read using 100 EZ Lessons and was a strong reader immediately. He is also an excellent speller and I think it's because he had such a strong base in phonics. We did do some of the later lessons in OPGTTR but it was too easy for him so we just put it away.

So because of those experiences I started Holden with OPGTTR (he has a speech delay and is a bit immature in ways so I thought it was a more gentle beginning than 100EZ). It was not a match at all. So I put that away and got out 100EZ lessons. The problem with it was that he could not bridge the gap from "muh-uh-duh" to "mud". He just wasn't getting how to blend the letters. We switched to Readinga-z and he's now reading.

Who knows what will work with Sergei!

My final opinion on 100EZ lessons is that, for the kids that it works for, it is amazing. For the kids that it just doesn't click with, find something else.

It worked well for my dd. We used it when she was 5. We did one lesson a day, and she was reading before we finished all of the lessons. She is now a fluent reader, and she reads well above her grade level. :)

I started with my dd when she turned 4 and she caught on right away and was thrilled to be "reading." She's now 4-1/2 and we're on lesson 75 but she's losing interest in 100EZ so I think I'm going to have to drop it. She much prefers BOB books now. My plan is to start OPGTR in the fall to continue with the phonics training, although I'm also looking at the Explode the Code books.

I would caution you not to combine lessons even though your child seems ready for it (especially when you get to the combined sounds like "ch," "sh," etc.). I was amazed at the way things would "cement" in my dd's mind between lessons--you just need to give them space and time to process the information before you load them up with more info:)

There's something so wonderful about witnessing the world of reading open up for you child! Enjoy the journey:)

• 1 month later...

i was just re reading my own thread! we are at lesson 32 and doing good. she still sounds out the words then reads them, but i think thats still okay. she is getting confident. we use to do it was a night time lesson, i moved it to morning/afternoon. i also printed out a 100's chart and she gets to do a sticker in each box. this has REALLY helped~

I have a question - did everyone's kids know all their letters and the letter sounds before starting? My ds is 5, just turned last week, and I got the book off the shelf today to get started with him. He still doesn't know all his letters by sight, nor all the sounds. We're doing Little Hands to Heaven as our main pre-k program, but I thought I could get him started in this. Should I wait until he knows his letters, or let him learn them as we go through the book?

I used it with all 3 of my children starting the summer before K. Somewhere around lesson 50 it gets harder so some days we broke the lessons in two and did 1/2 lesson per day. Two of my kids needed addition reinforcement so about 1/2 through the book we added Phonics Pathways.

I have a question - did everyone's kids know all their letters and the letter sounds before starting? My ds is 5, just turned last week, and I got the book off the shelf today to get started with him. He still doesn't know all his letters by sight, nor all the sounds. We're doing Little Hands to Heaven as our main pre-k program, but I thought I could get him started in this. Should I wait until he knows his letters, or let him learn them as we go through the book?

B did not know any letter sounds before starting this; he learned through the program. I'm trying this one more time with D, and she does already know her letter sounds, but only because we've been working on that for a while. (She'll be 6 in October. B started this program only a few months after his 5th birthday.)