Menu

Non-Standard degree. Are these ridiculous?

I'm talking about accredited colleges where you never literally set foot in a classroom. Thomas Edison College is one of them. I think there are three other prominent ones. But I think "prominent" is a relative term. Would anyone take you seriously for a moment if you had a degree from Thomas Edison College? How are they viewed in the workplace?

I'm talking about accredited colleges where you never literally set foot in a classroom. Thomas Edison College is one of them. I think there are three other prominent ones. But I think "prominent" is a relative term. Would anyone take you seriously for a moment if you had a degree from Thomas Edison College? How are they viewed in the workplace?

I wouldn't get one from one of those places when there are so many colleges that offer degrees online that have B & M schools. Especially considering how much they cost and that financial aid is not available!

I think the only time degrees from those places are worth the effort is for working adults who need to quickly finish their degree in order to advance in their career/get a promotion.

I would definitely not recommend a for-profit online program to a high school graduate.

There are a lot of companies that want a diploma from a college before they will promote someone. They really don't care where...they just want a sheepskin. This mentality is what led to a lot of the 'diploma purchasing' in the 90's. People would apply to a college and then write simple papers about life experience and then the college would basically just give them whatever credits the person was willing to pay for. The colleges were often based oversees. I had even heard of a few that didn't even require the paper, they just sent the diploma....for a price of course. I do think there can be some real value in life experience credits in college, just not the entire diploma. These schools often were not accredited in the US.

Dh's company is one of those companies. He is one of the rare few that has been promoted from within without a college diploma. But he is topped out at a District Manager without one. I don't think he is even allowed to apply for a higher up position without a diploma. Thankfully he really likes his job :0). They will hire a brand new grad with little experience, and then try to train them for a hard job in 6 weeks. The new managers are managing grown men/women in a demanding job without any real experience to back up their position; so I don't think this policy is really used to the best of the employees. This translates into a lot of disrespect for the management. Several of Dh's employees have mentioned that they like to work for dh because he has done their job and respect him more than the other college hires.

To me this is backwards...the degree gets the employee respect from the upper management but not from the people who matter the most...the managers 'charges'.

Sorry, off my soap box now :tongue_smilie:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's actually Thomas Edison State College (NJ) and it is not meant for students out of high school but for working adults who have life experiences from working that they can get credits toward a degree.

The college offers prior learning assessments and if you can show the professor that you have expertise equal to a college course then you may be granted credit and it is not a joke. My dh had to get letters of confirmation from employers, show proof with certificates, 20 page papers describing the areas that were covered and how the knowledge was gained etc.

BTW, classes are not always all online. My husband is getting his degree from TESC and there are some classes (forensic science was one) that he has had to take at our local community college and a local State College. But for things like math, art history, criminology he does them online. He purchases the textbook and then does the assignments. He has to submit written papers and final research papers as well as post on the class board for "discussion". I would say he has at least 2 hours of homework every night and sometimes more.

It is a real college with real expectations that college level work is being done (O.K., it's not Princeton :lol:) but similar work to other state colleges. My dh was granted prior credit, he has taken many CLEP tests, some brick and mortar college credits and online credits.

I wouldn't consider it ridiculous and I don't think employers (at least in NJ) would consider it ridiculous either. Because it is part of the State College system in NJ, it is a real college but based on distance learning. I'll let you know in a year or two ;)

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Well, I'm in the process of getting an MEd from an online-only university. I am *always* embarrassed when I tell people this. However, I have to say that I am almost done with my first course and I've been working a lot harder that I ever did as an undergraduate. It takes a lot more discipline that just going to school did. I have to learn everything actively--meaning I can't just sit in the lecture and get by on what I remember. I think online schools are totally underrated by those who know nothing about them, namely, people who've never had experience with them, that is, just about everyone.

I think one of the reasons people think it is a joke is because, remember when we were young, on tv they would list 100 things that you could get your degree in by mail order (hair dresser, vet, artist, nurse, etc!) and it was so cheesy and scammy and cheap.

Now real universities are offering distance learning because the internet has given a plausible way to educate and communicate with a group and a prof. but there still is a little stigma b/c of the old correspondence degrees. My dh isn't embarrassed at all to say he is working toward his degree at Thomas Edison.

My sil got her degree from Thomas Edison as a distance learner before distance learning was through the computer. Getting that degree meant she could finally get promoted out of low paying dead end job situations and onto a career path--despite having excellent skills employers exploited she could not get ahead. She is grateful to have had the chance to get a degree and the better opportunities which have come her way.

I believe Thomas Edison has a good reputation in general. I also believe that in some cases employers don't care where the degree comes from, just that you have one. Many jobs today don't necessarily require skills that come from the education involved in a BS or BA degree, but the degree is used as a weed out among applicants.

I will be earning my degree through a distance learning university. It is a respected University in my province and I know several people who have used their program to complete a degree. They do have online options but I will be doing mine with pen, paper and text book rather than online. Out here it is taken seriously, and does provide proper requirements for transferring in to B&M university to get an after degree distinction, or a Master's.

My BA is from Thomas Edison State College. I already had an AA from a b & m, and taken other courses at another university.

They have been around a very long time and catered mostly to the military at first, especially those overseas. They've grown by leaps and bounds. They are a brick and mortar as well. They are accredited enough that I got a Pell Grant to help me finish my BA, so yes, federal financial aid covers them. They also have many of their programs (such as nursing) accredited by national organizations.

I've also taken courses with University of Phoenix. They are for-profit, but have excellent, high-quality courses. I had to stop because we ran out of money. I always tell people that if they want a quality education that will kill you slowly, go to UoP. It was a LOT of work. I don't get where people think online courses are easier. It was very, very challenging. Did I mention they were challenging?

I'm currently taking courses with Western Governors University. They are fairly new, but the governors from 19 western states (including NM, where I am) got together and said there needed to be another affordable option. WGU is the only online University (no b & m) that is accredited by ALL the regional accreditation bodies. Many of their programs are also accredited by different national organizations. So, although new, and have no b&m classes, they are quite real.

Workplaces view these degrees just fine, because there are so many colleges around, no one has them memorized. No one really cares- they want to know if you have a degree (and if it's accredited). I finished my BA in 2004. A lot more doors have opened for me since I've earned it, including many jobs that required a degree. I get no flack (from workplaces or other higher education universities) when I say I did classes via distance. I've never been embarrassed. Most people are impressed when they learn I worked full time, went to school full time, homeschooled, took care of my family, and periodically ate and slept :tongue_smilie:.

The important thing is, to look at their accreditation. If they are accredited by the same regional bodies as other b & m schools, you have nothing to worry about.

Just because a college offers their degrees via distance learning doesn't make them any less real than other schools. I've done both (sometimes at the same time), and I like being in charge of what I learn.

DH was in the Navy. He attended school/training for two years in the nuclear field before he ever went to sea. Thomas Edison evaluated the training he had in the Navy and required him to take some classes at the local community college before awarding him a two year degree in nuclear engineering. Yes, his degree did help at work (Hewlett Packard) though he obviously doesn't work in the nuclear field.

" I always tell people that if they want a quality education that will kill you slowly, go to UoP."

I'll have to agree with that statement. I'm working on getting my associates in elementary education and UoP is literally killing me. The work is very hard and I'm finding I may not be able to continue because I just don't have enough time in the day to be successful with it. They are also very strict about when things are turned in and I even unfortunatley had to fail a class because I was out of town and had no internet service available to me.

I'm finding that I'm not enjoying online classes as much as I wish I would be. I'd like to finish my degree but with four kids, homeschooling , my youngest has health problems and finding that by the end of the day my brain is burned from teaching my children all day that I just want to rest and vegetate and not do more school work. I may not be able to continue.

" I always tell people that if they want a quality education that will kill you slowly, go to UoP."

I'll have to agree with that statement. I'm working on getting my associates in elementary education and UoP is literally killing me. The work is very hard and I'm finding I may not be able to continue because I just don't have enough time in the day to be successful with it. They are also very strict about when things are turned in and I even unfortunatley had to fail a class because I was out of town and had no internet service available to me.

I'm finding that I'm not enjoying online classes as much as I wish I would be. I'd like to finish my degree but with four kids, homeschooling , my youngest has health problems and finding that by the end of the day my brain is burned from teaching my children all day that I just want to rest and vegetate and not do more school work. I may not be able to continue.

I'm so sorry to hear that. There are other options that are high quality, but not so intense. For example, UoP is the only one I know of (so far) that has group AND individual assignments due each week, on top of the discussion questions you answer and respond to during the week. I was taking grad courses in early childhood education, and yes, I've also failed a class (silly me thought I could take two classes at the same time). Those group papers used to stress me out so much. I'm a writer, and... no one else in my group really was. I don't want to sound stuck up, but there was stuff I didn't want to put my name on. I always volunteered to do the editing. I tried very hard to just edit spelling, punctuation, and grammar, and not interject "me" too much into those papers. I used to stress so much about that.

I'm in WGU right now, which is a bit more self-paced. You still have to complete so many hours per term, but each term is 6 months and you manage yourself. The discussion boards and teleconferences are optional, but I've found them helpful at times. I've learned a lot just by homeschooling, and find myself able to go through some assignments rather quickly, and others...not so quickly. I like the level of challenge of these courses. I love to learn.

My sil got her degree from Thomas Edison as a distance learner before distance learning was through the computer. Getting that degree meant she could finally get promoted out of low paying dead end job situations and onto a career path--despite having excellent skills employers exploited she could not get ahead. She is grateful to have had the chance to get a degree and the better opportunities which have come her way.

I believe Thomas Edison has a good reputation in general. I also believe that in some cases employers don't care where the degree comes from, just that you have one. Many jobs today don't necessarily require skills that come from the education involved in a BS or BA degree, but the degree is used as a weed out among applicants.

There is nothing wrong with obtaining a distance learning degree from this school.:001_smile: Some big companies prefer seasoned adult applicants from a distance learning program over young applicants with little experience in the job market.

Quote:

Thomas Edison State College is regionally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. This prestigious accreditation is part of a national system of quality assurance which requires colleges and universities to reach a common understanding and agreement as to the standards of quality for American higher education.

P.S This recession don't care what school you have obtained your degree from. Many Harvard graduates have been forced to take lower paying jobs; causing them to question what was it all for.

Harvard, Hit By Recession

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124578082408042905.html

Edited by LUV2EDU

My BA is from Thomas Edison State College. I already had an AA from a b & m, and taken other courses at another university.

They have been around a very long time and catered mostly to the military at first, especially those overseas. They've grown by leaps and bounds. They are a brick and mortar as well. They are accredited enough that I got a Pell Grant to help me finish my BA, so yes, federal financial aid covers them. They also have many of their programs (such as nursing) accredited by national organizations.

I've also taken courses with University of Phoenix. They are for-profit, but have excellent, high-quality courses. I had to stop because we ran out of money. I always tell people that if they want a quality education that will kill you slowly, go to UoP. It was a LOT of work. I don't get where people think online courses are easier. It was very, very challenging. Did I mention they were challenging?

I'm currently taking courses with Western Governors University. They are fairly new, but the governors from 19 western states (including NM, where I am) got together and said there needed to be another affordable option. WGU is the only online University (no b & m) that is accredited by ALL the regional accreditation bodies. Many of their programs are also accredited by different national organizations. So, although new, and have no b&m classes, they are quite real.

Workplaces view these degrees just fine, because there are so many colleges around, no one has them memorized. No one really cares- they want to know if you have a degree (and if it's accredited). I finished my BA in 2004. A lot more doors have opened for me since I've earned it, including many jobs that required a degree. I get no flack (from workplaces or other higher education universities) when I say I did classes via distance. I've never been embarrassed. Most people are impressed when they learn I worked full time, went to school full time, homeschooled, took care of my family, and periodically ate and slept :tongue_smilie:.

The important thing is, to look at their accreditation. If they are accredited by the same regional bodies as other b & m schools, you have nothing to worry about.

Just because a college offers their degrees via distance learning doesn't make them any less real than other schools. I've done both (sometimes at the same time), and I like being in charge of what I learn.

:iagree::iagree:

I wouldn't take them too seriously but I understand many feel that is their only option. There are so many real accredited Universities that offer distance learning these days.

Thomas Edison State College is a real accredited college that offers distance learning.