Menu

Has anyone here participated in a Civil War Re-enactment group?

We attended one on July 4th (I just now got photos ~lots~ up on my blog) and it was quite the production. I simply could not believe how many people participated, including families (babies and all!). The camps went on and on and on. Really elaborate, in many cases. The costumes. The tent set-ups. Wow! Very impressive.

In theory, I could imagine my boys having a blast doing that for a couple years (what a way to make history come alive), but the practical side of me can't imagine wearing that clothing in 90 degree weather and figuring out how to cook for my family over an open fire pit.... Does anyone have any first-hand experience they could share with me?

We went to one last fall and it was so interesting. It can be a very expensive hobby, though. A lot of these people have the real weapons, instruments, tents, etc. One guy we met had a $20,000 cannon! It was fun seeing the costumes and learning what the kids did to occupy themselves. I did have quite a blonde moment, though. I asked the dumbest question in the history of stupid questions. I actually asked one of the soldiers if they ever used real bullets. :001_huh: I swear it was out of my mouth before I could stop it. I felt like such a tool...

We would love to, but the cost and the time is what is stopping us. Not only that, but last I heard, rebs aren't too welcome at Gettysburg.

Actually I have been told by re-enactors that it is the Yankee....oops I mean Northern Units from the War of Northern Aggression that have a hard time getting re-enactors.

We went to one last fall and it was so interesting. It can be a very expensive hobby, though. A lot of these people have the real weapons, instruments, tents, etc. One guy we met had a $20,000 cannon! It was fun seeing the costumes and learning what the kids did to occupy themselves. I did have quite a blonde moment, though. I asked the dumbest question in the history of stupid questions. I actually asked one of the soldiers if they ever used real bullets. :001_huh: I swear it was out of my mouth before I could stop it. I felt like such a tool...

:lol: No, but the women use real frying pans ;)

We do this as a family and it is a phenomenal family hobby! There can be a bit of a set-up expense, but the most important thing is to know someone who can keep you from making the unnecessary/wrong purchases. You can check out my blog for photos of our family at the Fort.

As for the heat, women wore "sheer" dresses during the period made out of very thin cotton and they are completely breathable. Trust me, I am no hotter in period clothing than I am in modern garb. As for cooking over the fire, we try to do breakfasts and lunches cold if we are staying overnight (many people are also "Motel Militia" and just come in for the day- a great solution with young kids) and since we are at a historic site, we are usually just there for the day. If you do cold breakfasts and lunches (which is really easy - hard-boiled eggs, sausages, cheese, fruits, & bread) then you don't have to get your fire going until it cools off in the evening and you only have to cook one meal per day. We've cooked chicken stew, fried chicken, etc. for dinner. Most reenactments also have a nightly meal and each camp contributes one dish to a huge potluck, so you don't have to do all the cooking yourself.

Any other questions? I'd be happy to answer them! We'd love to have more families in this hobby!

You know what I wonder? (Not that you asked.:tongue_smilie:) I wonder...why. Why is endlessly re-enacting wartime a form of family entertainment? What is it about wars that took place on American soil that leads people to glorify them? Now, that's not to say I can't appreciate the historical aspect of it. I like history. I love history! But what strikes me as beyond odd is how common these re-enactments are becoming (and out West here, of all places) and how into it some people get. And yet, not really. Because let's face it. It's a play. And war's not play. War's hell, as anyone who's actually fought in one knows. Which is why those people (at least the ones I know) aren't impressed by the glamourized re-enactments.

Oops. Pardony cynicism. I'll be off now...;)

Actually I have been told by re-enactors that it is the Yankee....oops I mean Northern Units from the War of Northern Aggression that have a hard time getting re-enactors.

They may have a difficult time getting re-enactors, but that doesn't mean they are welcoming to southerners on their turf.

You know what I wonder? (Not that you asked.:tongue_smilie:) I wonder...why. Why is endlessly re-enacting wartime a form of family entertainment? What is it about wars that took place on American soil that leads people to glorify them? Now, that's not to say I can't appreciate the historical aspect of it. I like history. I love history! But what strikes me as beyond odd is how common these re-enactments are becoming (and out West here, of all places) and how into it some people get. And yet, not really. Because let's face it. It's a play. And war's not play. War's hell, as anyone who's actually fought in one knows. Which is why those people (at least the ones I know) aren't impressed by the glamourized re-enactments.

1) The history aspect.

2) It's a way of honouring those that fought, on both sides.

3) It's a hobby. Most people have a hobby. This is a hobby to some people and why they "get so into it".

You know what I wonder? (Not that you asked. ) I wonder...why. Why is endlessly re-enacting wartime a form of family entertainment? What is it about wars that took place on American soil that leads people to glorify them? Now, that's not to say I can't appreciate the historical aspect of it. I like history. I love history! But what strikes me as beyond odd is how common these re-enactments are becoming (and out West here, of all places) and how into it some people get. And yet, not really. Because let's face it. It's a play. And war's not play. War's hell, as anyone who's actually fought in one knows. Which is why those people (at least the ones I know) aren't impressed by the glamourized re-enactments.

Oops. Pardony cynicism. I'll be off now...

In the United Kingdom alone there are the following WWII reenacting groups.

American

29th Infantry Division Normandy 44 War Time Living (N.I.) 1st Infantry Division All American Pathfinders 4JAS Thunder From Heaven

The 514th Q.M. Truck Regiment Re-enactment Group

German

Das Heer Living History Society Second Battle Group 21st Panzer Division

2/Pz.Aufkl.Abt.Grossdeutschland Grenadier Regiment 916 Infanterie Regiment 208 Axis 42 Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 The Luftwaffe Society

FJR6 Luftwaffe Airfield SSJF

British

2nd Battalion Royal Ulster Rifles No 4 Commando Just Ordinary Men

Hampshire Regiment Summer of 44 South Wales Borderers Normandy-Arnhem Society 4th Wiltshire's Living History Group

VERA (Victory in Europe Reenactment Association) 4th Indian Division

D-Day Dodgers 1st Airborne Reconnaissance Squadron Forgotten Tommies

East Yorkshire Regiment Lovat Scouts Ack Ack Living History Group

Chatham Home Guard The Garrison An Airfield Somewhere Grey Funnel Line Group Soldier Blue

Soviet

Za Oberonya2nd Guards Rifle Division

There are also Roman, Civil War, Peninsula War, Empire, WWI and other periods that have their own reenacting groups.

Germany, France, Italy, Spain all have reenacting groups. While popular in the States it is not a solely American hobby.

They may have a difficult time getting re-enactors, but that doesn't mean they are welcoming to southerners on their turf.

Quite right. Last time it was such a close cut thing that perhaps they do not want to chance it again :-)

[While popular in the States it is not a solely American hobby.

I didn't say (and didn't mean to imply) that it's solely an American hobby. I do believe that Americans are particularly enamoured of reenacting the two wars that took place on soil here ~ in part because we are removed from them by time.

The battle itself wasn't as fascinating to me as the other historical re-creation of things. I'm sure it wasn't realistic (obviously we wouldn't want it to be). After reading April 1965 (fabulous book, by the way), I realized how little the current generation, or maybe I should just speak for myself, truly knows about the Civil War. It wasn't all that long ago and was one of the most significant events in the history of our country. I haven't been a part of the Civil War Re-enactment scene, so I don't know how the actors feel about the glamourization/glorification aspect. I considered it a learning time for my family, much different than going to the water park or to see a movie. The battle ended with the reading aloud of a dying soldier's letter to his father and taps played on a bugle. It was very sobering and respectful. Everyone was silent. I don't think they tried to make the battle look like fun.

My grandfather fought in WWII, and he seemed to appreciate the re-enactment. They (he and my grandmother) had just returned from Luxembourg where they attended, for the third time, a large annual WWII event where American soldiers are highly honored.

Do you feel differently about watching stage productions that include battle or fighting scenes? I'm thinking of Les Miserables in particular, but there are many other plays in that category. I know we discussed watching A Tale of Two Cities, as well. The book was incredible, but it was a powerful poetical tale of blood running through the streets and heads beyond number rolling from the guilloutine.

I don't think that re-enactments glorify the war itself, as much as pay tribute to some important times in our history. I have only been to a few and one of them was here in TX, the Battle of San Jacinto.. which was the defining moment of Texas getting their independence. It was an opportunity for my young child to "see" history and not just read about it. Many people did die in these wars, but for us, seeing the re-enactment allows us to honor their memory and the gift that they have given us (our freedom)...we are very interested to see what it takes to get involved in the future.

For the record, we don't do Civil War reenacting. We volunteer at a Living History museum, that reenacts actual events that happened here in WA during the 19th century at an agricultural fort. It is a completely civilian site. We are in the business of preserving the history of the region and the complex cultural relations that come from westward migration and racial interactions. I think that is a fantastic hobby for families to be involved in and as we are a museum, we have paid curatorial staff who ensure that we don't glamorize aspects of the past. So please understand before you and your friends judge reenactors or reenactments that there are a variety of ways to do living history that are completely regionally and historically appropriate.

And as for why people do it...it is one thing to read that laundry took from sun up to sun down to do and it is quite a different perspective to have to haul the water, heat the water, fill the tubs, clean the clothes, rinse the clothes, blue the clothes, bleach the clothes, hang the clothes, make the starch, heat the irons and iron the clothes. Living history produces hands-on knowledge and experiences of history in a way that no amount of reading or visiting landmarks can.

Edited by FairProspects

The battle itself wasn't as fascinating to me as the other historical re-creation of things....I considered it a learning time for my family, much different than going to the water park or to see a movie.

Oh, yes ~ absolutely! No comparison there, I grant you that.

The battle ended with the reading aloud of a dying soldier's letter to his father and taps played on a bugle. It was very sobering and respectful. Everyone was silent. I don't think they tried to make the battle look like fun.

I wonder, though, if that sobering reality is limited to the moment at hand. Can it also serve as a precautionary tale? I realize this is totally removed from what you were originally asking about; I'm going down another path here, musing aloud. We can ask ourselves, and our children: When we study history ~ and particularly when we bring it to life through re-enactments ~ what are the lessons learned? It's all well and good to be sobered by the reading aloud of a dying soldier's letter penned a century and a half ago, but how does that influence our response to events around us today?

Although I have no problem with those who do enjoy military reenacting, I personally don't. It makes me very sad to think of all that was lost--on both sides and to all the civilians in the middle.

The reenactment I really enjoyed was the Lewis and Clark journey that was done a few years back. They did a fabulous job and the focus was on exploration, not battles. I have also been to a few of the Rendezvous reenactments. They are often shunned by the more hard core, period correct reenactors, but I have enjoyed them all the same. These people portray the traders and trappers of the late 1700's up to the 1840's. Their focus is more about trade/commerce and exploration. And of course, both events highlighted the history of their activities.

The reason we don't do CW or ARW reenacting is that in my area there is a strong contingency that are rabid about what they have deemed historical accuracy. They literally have a device called a stitch counter, and often people who use them proudly proclaim themselves "stitch Nazis". It offends me that people with vaccination scars on their arms, teeth straightened by dental work, and eyes full of contact lenses would have the gaul to say I'm not PC because my dress has a few too many or too few stitches per inch. Particularly, as a farmer, I find their superior attitudes maddening. I once had a PhD clothing expert tell me that farmers did wear nice clothing when performing their chores, even jeweled sock garters. Ridiculous! Sheep are still the same as they were 200 years ago, and would suck the jewels right out of your garters if they got the chance! Those wealthy farmers did not achieve that status by being stupid. All that just to say that in my area, the self-appointed history police are sucking the life out of historical reenacting as a fun family hobby.

Edited by hillfarm

I did when I was a teen with my parents. We did Civil War and Rev. War. My dad did alot. He gave us a few of his uniforms but he sold all the best. At the time, he didn't think about my ds wanting them.

He was in the 1776 re-enactments in Trenton, Washington Crossing, Valley Forge etc. And many more.

When I parents moved I found my scrapbook and all the newspaper clipping pictures are fading away.

:confused:

I wonder, though, if that sobering reality is limited to the moment at hand. Can it also serve as a precautionary tale? I realize this is totally removed from what you were originally asking about; I'm going down another path here, musing aloud. We can ask ourselves, and our children: When we study history ~ and particularly when we bring it to life through re-enactments ~ what are the lessons learned? It's all well and good to be sobered by the reading aloud of a dying soldier's letter penned a century and a half ago, but how does that influence our response to events around us today?

Absolutely there are lessons. Burke said

“Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.â€

and I believe him to be correct.

The soldier's letter should teach us that there are things worth dying for. More importantly as men of courage died for their freedoms, and ours, we should do whatever is necessary to keep them. Further we must honor those who bought our freedom with their blood.

With a group called Historical Happenings. It is a blast and they make it easy for us. We gals (nurses) dress in cotton dresses with a pinafore and a sunbonnet and black tights with lace up boots. We have had it in awful heat and in torrential rain and it is always a blast.

We also love to go visit the Redcoats and Rebels weekend up at Old Sturbridge Village where the pro and family rein-actors go. That is one amazing weekend. There are camps set up on the entire property. They have units from the French and Indian War, through the Civil War. These folks are pros.

I definitely think we need to engage in dialogue about those questions with our children. What lessons can we learn? How is this historical period (political atmosphere, war, etc.) different than now, what is the same? What might have happened if this or that had been done differently? How does our Civil War compare to civil wars in other countries? What countries have managed to avoid civil war/upheaval, and why? How and what did the soldiers think and feel going into a battle vs in the middle or at the end? What was it like for families to live during that time, especially when they had fathers/brothers/sons fighting in the war. Some of that hits harder when a person can see with their eyes, rather than superficially in a book, especially for the more visual learners amongst us. :tongue_smilie: Even the fact that is was very hot and watching the soldiers in their uniforms (and tents out in the sun) brought a realization of the 'weathering the elements' in addition to the harshness of the battles, illnesses, long marches, and lack of food.

That is another thing I appreciated about the book April 1865, the author compares various parts of the Civil War to other wars and situations around the world, in history, in our more recent past, and even in our current world. I'm looking forward to having more in-depth discussions with my boys about those issues as they get older. (Don't worry, I won't assign April 1865 to Levi quite yet. :tongue_smilie:)

Edited by Heidi @ Mt Hope

For the record, we don't do Civil War reenacting. We volunteer at a Living History museum, that reenacts actual events that happened here in WA during the 19th century at an agricultural fort. It is a completely civilian site.

I know. I grew up down there.:) I am addressing here not historical reenactment in general, but battles specifically.

......I did have quite a blonde moment, though. I asked the dumbest question in the history of stupid questions. I actually asked one of the soldiers if they ever used real bullets. :001_huh: I swear it was out of my mouth before I could stop it. I felt like such a tool...

But they do use real amputation saws! The guy next to ds's gurney in the ER was in full Civil War regalia. He needed stitches after an almost successful amputation. :lol:

(the shield stopping the saw slipped)

I definitely think we need to engage in dialogue about those questions with our children. What lessons can we learn? How is this historical period (political atmosphere, war, etc.) different than now, what is the same? What might have happened if this or that had been done differently? How does our Civil War compare to civil wars in other countries? What countries have managed to avoid civil war/upheaval, and why? How and what did the soldiers think and feel going into a battle vs in the middle or at the end?
But must those questions be stimulated by engaging in or viewing simulated warfare? And isn't there, after all, a romantic element to all of this? I certainly think so. Chronological distance breeds romanticism.

I'm looking forward to having more in-depth discussions with my boys about those issues as they get older.
Yes, as they get older. But if they can't yet engage in the dialogue, how are the lessons learned? Again, I'm not referring to general history lessons, but those related to war itself. (And again, I'm musing, asking these things of myself as much as I am of you. But I trust you know that.:))

But they do use real amputation saws! The guy next to ds's gurney in the ER was in full Civil War regalia. He needed stitches after an almost successful amputation. :lol:

(the shield stopping the saw slipped)

:eek: I wonder if that guy reconsidered golf or fishing as an alternative hobby after that. yikes...

You're right, but there is a lot more to reenactments than refighting battles.

Often times just a few reenactors will review the lifestyle and equipment of the soldiers. Some reenactors actually teach about medical care, both for the military and civilians. Some focus on food. I've also seen sections devoted to laundry, :glare: soap making and other aspects of daily life. Oftentimes no battle reenactment is scheduled with these demonstrations.

And around here the reenactments take place generally on the actual battle fields, which can help you better understand what roll terrain and strategy played in how a battle fell out.

What may seem strange is the number of reenactors specializing in the Roman empire or various times though the middle ages. OTOH, the state sport here IS jousting and the state flag is a mideval banner.

I think books often romanticize wars/rebellions/political upheaval as well, or at the very least convey a sort of passion that can be very compelling. Do you think the re-enactments do more so? Quite possibly.

On our family trip across the U.S., we visited so many historical sites on the east coast. I've often lamented the lack of tangible history here on the west coast. The thing that appealed to me about this re-enactment group is that it isn't tied to a particular location and is more readily available to us.

I'm off to have a conversation with Levi to see what he thought about the battle... I'm guessing my boys would all say the cannon made the biggest impression (a chest-thumping impression), but then our favorite piece of music is the 1812 Overture performed live with real cannons. (Hmm. Romanticizing another battle. You're going to be rethinking that e-harmony match. :lol:)

You know what I wonder? (Not that you asked.:tongue_smilie:) I wonder...why. Why is endlessly re-enacting wartime a form of family entertainment?

)

I don't do American Civil War re-enactment, obviously, but many people get into re-enactment because it is so different from modern every day life. It's a bit more communal and educational than disconnecting by watching soaps on telly, huh?

I can see how it would definitely depend on the people and atmosphere in specific groups. Those history police don't sound very encouraging...

You get jerks everywhere...

Rosie

I think books often romanticize wars/rebellions/political upheaval as well, or at the very least convey a sort of passion that can be very compelling. Do you think the re-enactments do more so?
I do.

On our family trip across the U.S., we visited so many historical sites on the east coast. I've often lamented the lack of tangible history here on the west coast.
I always felt that way ~ no doubt one reason I went across the country for college. But as I, ahem, mature (yeah, I'm getting older ~ what about it?!) I'm reconsidering. I mean, yeah, of course our nation's history jumps off the page when we visit The Sites One Visits On Educational Field Trips to Boston, Philly, etc. And yet, again, do we perhaps romanticize that which happened in the more distant past? That which took place farther away?

There are all manner of wonderful opportunities to appreciate history in our own (big) backyard. It may involve more travel, the sites and events may not be as well-known as The Big Events in American History. But it's here! It's so moving to visit the Whitman Mission. The Royal BC Museum in Victoria is an excellent means of familiarizing oneself with the First Nations people (and borders are, after all, relative). Astoria is the oldest settlement west of the Mississippi! And so on. (Once again, I'm talking both to myself and to you. Funny how I do that.)

You're going to be rethinking that e-harmony match. :lol:)
Oh, no. I'm thinking the sooner we head down there, the better, so we can talk about all this in person. Don't worry, I'll bring my own wine.:tongue_smilie: Edited by Colleen

...They are a homeschooling family and I think most of their participants were homeschoolers. They did this for several years until they moved to another area of the state. Their whole family loves all things outdoors, so this was really a great thing for them. They still love outdoor cooking -- especially with dutch ovens. And it is yummy!

I think books often romanticize wars/rebellions/political upheaval as well, or at the very least convey a sort of passion that can be very compelling. Do you think the re-enactments do more so? Quite possibly.

Quite deliberately too, at times.

Rosie

We belong to a Civil War Era Marine Unit.

Like you, I didn't want to be stuck in a Civil War Era woman's costume while preparing my family an authentic meal. It turned out that that wasn't what the unit wanted from me either.

They needed a rifle bearer. I wear a uniform, carry a rifle and do the traditional things Marine Privates of the era do. There is a retired police officer with significant physical handicaps who is the camp cook. He is a very good friend of ours (20+ years). When my daughter was younger she was his helper. Now it's my son's turn.

My daughter also discovered that reenacting isn't much fun in women's costumes. She's chosen the liberty of boy's clothing and roles too, and she's having a great time.

We've been at this a while, so we've started to have enough extra gear to bring their friends along in full costume. Our daughter's friends will be reenacting with her on Halloween this year. The young ladies are all very excited. It's going to be quite a thrill, all the best of Halloween with none of the pitfalls. They'll have the costumes, the stories, the thrills and chills, but not much candy and no supernatural themes to worry the parents who are concerned about such influences.

Reenacting has stretched my sewing abilities, which previously stretched no further than curtains and mending! Costumes are expensive, and the best bet is to make them or buy them used. The thrift stores and the internet have proven invaluable when it comes to picking up gear.

Edited by Elizabeth Conley

Now that I've bothered to read the entire thread, I'll briefly touch on the following issues:

1. Which side to "fight" on, Confederate or Union? Is it a big issue?

Our unit "goes both ways". Yuk, yuk, yuk! Seriously, for about a 35% greater investment in uniforms, we've outfitted ourselves to fight on either side. For some events we're Confederate, for others Union. Geography largely dictates which side they ask us to represent. Ironically, an area with a great many people who prefer to represent the Confederacy is extremely gracious to guests who are willing to fight Union, and vica-versa. It's a huge issue in some minds, but very minor to us. We are keenly aware that some families had sons who fought on opposite sides. When we reflect on the divisive issues, we feel the lingering pain of the division more than a partisan interest in either side.

2. Why do you run around glorifying war? Is this healthy?

Reenacting doesn't glorify war, it explores the reality of war. War is not a glorious thing. A deeper understanding of the realities of war has been good for all of us. It's hard to march onto the field of battle next to friends of long standing and family without reflecting on what the consequences would be to our community if 20-60 % of us did not return. It brings armed conflict into its proper perspective.

3. Boy o boy, is that expensive!

Yep, it sure is.

4. ...and time consuming.

I am always grateful for activities that get my kids away from their electronic entertainment. It stretches their minds. In the case of our unit, I like the people they're associating with. These people are good role models, and they bring out the best in my kids.

2. Why do you run around glorifying war? Is this healthy?

Reenacting doesn't glorify war, it explores the reality of war. War is not a glorious thing. A deeper understanding of the realities of war has been good for all of us. It's hard to march onto the field of battle next to friends of long standing and family without reflecting on what the consequences would be to our community if 20-60 % of us did not return. It brings armed conflict into its proper perspective.

I understand what you're saying. I agree about the increased perspective, although the idea of people dying is of course not comparable to the reality of watching a comrade blown to bits and pieces. What I'm pondering is how exploring the realities of war genuinely affects our reaction to the world around us. Does reenacting age old battles in any way limit our involvement in war? Does it affect change in that respect? (Rhetorical questions, posed merely as food for thought.)