Menu

Anyone have a favorite salmon recipe?

I'm getting a little sick of tilapia and would like to start eating more salmon. The problem is the taste- I really don't like salmon at all. Does anyone have a great recipe for salmon? Oh, and I keep hearing about wild and farm-raised salmon; is one supposed to be better for you? Thanks!

Salmon has a strong flavor. I don't get excited about it, either, despite knowing what a nutritional powerhouse salmon is.

With this exception: KULEBIAKA !

If any Russians pick up on this thread, maybe they will post a beloved family recipe.

Until then, here are two from the Internet:

http://www.russianfoods.com/recipes/item00266/default.asp

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/cookbook/2008/international-cuisine/kulebiaka.htm

Favorite, easiest and will help with the strong flavor if you don't like it!

1 Salmon, sliced into 2" fillets

I bottle French dressing

Arrange salmon fillets in 9x13 dish; pour dressing over til well-coated. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45-55 minutes, 350 degrees. That's it.

I broil the salmon with some olive oil brushed on it and herbs of choice sprinkled on top. After it's cooked, I use a fork to pull it apart into flaky bite-size pieces. We use it either hot or cold on top of greens, with chopped celery, grape tomatoes, fresh Parmesan cheese, and Italian dressing on top. The flavor of the dressing kills some of the salmon taste, if it's bothersome to you.

Erica in OR

I found a great recipe on Ree's website when she was preoccupied with Nova Lox (GRIN) after a trip to NYC.

Anyway...someone posted in the comments on her blog a recipe that was so simple. They layered 1/2" slices of orange under and over the layer of salmon fillets. The fish got some fresh nutmeg, some red wine and some orange juice to steam, and then baked the whole thing. It was pretty darn good. :)

There were other variations of recipes I'd tried before. My family loves salmon patties (fried) as well. My DH makes them with mashed potatoes as the "base" of the patty, so it's as much a potato pancake as it is a salmon pattie.

Check out www.thepioneerwoman.com/cooking for even more recipes in the comments on her Nova Lox threads.

There were other variations of recipes I'd tried before. My family loves salmon patties (fried) as well. My DH makes them with mashed potatoes as the "base" of the patty, so it's as much a potato pancake as it is a salmon pattie.

Would you share your dh's potato/salmon pattie recipe?

:001_smile:

I'd love to (we had them last night) but there is no recipe. He just mixes a bunch of stuff together. LOL!

Seriously, leftover mashed potatoes, cans of salmon (usually 2 makes a lot), he uses crushed crackers, diced green onion, salt and pepper, egg (1 or 2, depending on how big a batch he's making)...a splash of milk if it's too dry, some cornmeal if it's too wet. :) Fries it up in olive oil until it's nice and crispy, about the size of a hamburger patty. Sometimes we eat them on buns.

HTH! Sorry it's so vague. We cook like that a lot! (Vague, I mean...)

My favorite is from a South Beach diet book. It is actually for orange roughy, but we like it better on the salmon. It has a strong flavor which is good if you don't like the flavor of salmon all that much.

1/3 cup rice wine vinegar

3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce (we use a low sodium tamari)

2 teaspoons sesame oil

1/4 cup finely chopped green onion

1 tsp freshly grated ginger

1 tsp finely chopped (or crushed) garlic

1 lb salmon fillets

preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix all the ingredients except salmon in a small bowl. Put fish in an ovenproof casserole dish. Drizzle the marinade over the fish. When oven is preheated, bak for 12 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.

I have also used this recipe on a plank on the grill. I marinate for about 15-20 minutes before putting on the soaked plank on the grill.

We serve it over brown rice.

About farm vs wild ... wild is definitely better for you. Farm raised is fed all sorts of junk not in their natural diet and the fish is often contaminated. Wild salmon is only fresh when in season, but is available frozen other times. Farm raised is available fresh all year or so. Atlantic salmon is the variety in farmed salmon. I thought I had read that several salmon fisheries were closed this year due to low counts. The price will be higher as a result.

My dh did not like any fish until we started breading it.

I'd salt and pepper the salmon nicely or use whatever favorite seasonings/herbs you have and bread it.

You could also try some marinades that will alter the taste a bit.

Depends on which taste you would prefer - BBQ style, lemony tart or...

Experiment! My kitchen is a lab. :lol:

This recipe is from Penzey's magazine. I love it! Although we usually bake it rather than grill it.

Grilled Pecan-Crusted Salmon

2 8 oz. salmon fillets (sockeye salmon, if available)

2 tbsp. butter

1/2 tsp. Trinidad Lemon-Garlic Marinade or lemon pepper

1 tsp. Herbes de Provence, Tuscan Sunset or Italian Herb

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup crushed pecans

aluminum foil

cooking spray

Heat your grill to medium-high heat (or preheat oven to 400 degrees). Spray a large piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray. Place the salmon on the foil, skin side down. Melt the butter. Remove from heat and mix in the Lemon Pepper and Italian Herb seasonings. Brush on the fillets. Seal the aluminum foil, do not wrap tightly, leave a bit of "breathing" room. Place on the grill and cook for 6-10 minutes (or bake for 20 min), until salmon is flaky but not dry. Remember, the fish will continue to cook after it is removed from the heat. When cooked, remove from heat and open packet. Sprinkle with the brown sugar. Close the packet and the heat from the fish will melt it. Pat on the pecans and serve.

I have 2 that I LOVE!

First, w/ a fruit salsa on top. Diced Mango, red onions, tomatos w/ olive oil & salt & pepper to taste (let sit for 15 minutes for flavors to combine). Spread over cooked, lightly seasoned salmon - YUM!

Secondly, a maple glazed salmon. You can double the recipe and marinate it for up to 5 hours first. :)

Sauce: Add 2T. olive oil, 1T chopped garlic, 1T fresh grated ginger, 1 T soy sauce, 2 T maple syrup (adjust to taste)- pour over salmon and bake until done. SO good! A family favorite, for sure!

Laura

I definitely think that wild salmon has a better (but richer) flavor and will usually ONLY buy wild.

I, myself, am not a big fish eater. But I do like my salmon recipe.

Mix olive oil, some balsamic vinegar, pressed garlic, and italian seasoning together and brush over one side of the fish. Sprinkle with enough parmesan cheese to give a good crust to the fish. Broil for about 6 minutes...flip the fish over and brush on the oil seasoning and recoat with parmesan. Broil the other side for about 6 minutes (the time depends on the size of your salmon). The parmesan makes a nice crispy coating.

I live in WA and we have salmon, a lot of salmon. First by wild not farmed. The texture and color is all wrong. One simple recipe I've won over non salmon lovers with is a very simple soy and brown sugar baste baked salmon. This one here is similar to mine except I add butter to my baste too. Another variation on the same line is using honey and worchester (sp) sauce. The sweet and salt tend to take away the fishy thing. Also be sure not to over cook. Over cooked salmon is yucky dry.

I'd love to (we had them last night) but there is no recipe. He just mixes a bunch of stuff together. LOL!

Seriously, leftover mashed potatoes, cans of salmon (usually 2 makes a lot), he uses crushed crackers, diced green onion, salt and pepper, egg (1 or 2, depending on how big a batch he's making)...a splash of milk if it's too dry, some cornmeal if it's too wet. :) Fries it up in olive oil until it's nice and crispy, about the size of a hamburger patty. Sometimes we eat them on buns.

HTH! Sorry it's so vague. We cook like that a lot! (Vague, I mean...)

Thank You! This sounds much like how I make salmon patties (minus the mashed potatoes!) - Next time, I am going to add the potatoes. Never thought about eating them on buns, either . . .:001_smile: