Menu

Bob Books mastered, so what next?

Sahmqui

I used flash cards and songs to teach DD the sounds of letters and then we started reading bob books sets 1 and 2. She can read these by herself nowand level 1 HOP books.

My question is where do we go from here? Now she only wants books she can read herself. Do I continue the BOB BOOK series or move to something else. I feel like with this series we are missing the phonic rules (ex. silent e, silent k, etc.).

Any advice?

Edited by Sahmqui
sorry for sp and grammar but nursing while typing

I used flash cards and songs to teach DD the sounds of letters and then we started reading bob books sets 1 and 2. She can read these by herself nowand level 1 HOP books.

My question is where do we go from here? Now she only wants books she can read herself. Do I continue the BOB BOOK series or move to something else. I feel like with this series we are missing the phonic rules (ex. silent e, silent k, etc.).

Any advice?

You could continue the BOB books if she's enjoying those, plus add easy readers from the library. I used Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, but even that only took the phonics so far. I also used the Explode the Code workbooks until I felt my kids' grasp of phonics was really solid. And we read, and we read, and we read ...

Good luck!

Tiffany

We just moved onto step into reading level one and other level 1 readers at the library. We are using OPG but if we encountered a rule (like silent K) that she hasn't reached yet in the book I told her as we read. The biggest thing I realized my dd needed help on are sight words. I ended up making flash cards for the sight words we encountered as we read. I saved the cards as a word document on my blog if you are interested.

Edited by JESSICAinMD

Bob sets 3 and up really ramp up the phonics, so you do need to explicitly teach the long vowels (silent e and teams) and r-controlled vowels to keep going. Dd already covered some of these in LLATL Blue and isn't upset by new combinations as long as I explain them, so Bob 3-5 have been good practice for her this summer.

I'm also using Tanglewood phonics and readers with dd. A lot of the readers are out of print, but you can get them cheap on half.com.

http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/ReallyReading2.pdf

http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/bksrd.htm

Something I did for that level is to write a story for her to read using the Bob book words. It might only be a four or five sentences but it was a little something for her to read. I would substitue our pet names and family members. Like Mom sat on a rug. Dad sat on a bug. A bug sat on Mom. etc.. I would have her illustrate them for fun.

I also agree that the library has a lot of good early readers I liked the series written by Heller (I think), she has taken familiar stories like The Gingerbread Man and made it simple.

There are numerous Bob books series out now and I believe that once you go through all/most of them, you will have covered most of the phonics rules. It's been a while since I did these with my younger son, but I believe that was the case. I had him work through all of those, then we moved on to other graduated reader series that my library carries. I started with level 1's and 2's and then moved him up.