Menu

Our trip to the Creation Museum

One of our best trips ever also!

We spent the morning at the Zoo and the afternoon at Creation Museum. I guessed kids would have more to tell about the zoo... but NO WAY... they were so excited about the museum and told almost no one about polar bears and other animals that we don't have down here. They were just crazy about the museum.

I wish that we had skipped the zoo!

Any advice on how much time we should spend on a trip to the creation museum (ie. one or two days and/or a trip to the zoo on another day)? We would be doing a 12 hour drive to get there. Also, any favorite hotel recommendations for that area?

Thanks!

Brenda

OH, WE LOVED the Creation Museum!

When we went in January, the petting zoo and botanical garden were closed, but we spent a good 4 hours in the museum itself.

We stayed in the Travel Lodge in Florence, KY. I wouldn't recommend it, really, but there are other motels in the area that are far less expensive than the ones suggested on the Creation Museum website.

We stayed at the Comfort Suites in Hebron, KY. It was nice and the floors were very shiny :) We also bought discounted tickets at the hotel for the museum.

We were at the museum from 10AM to 5PM. The only things we didn't do were the Planetarium, the Special Effects Theater, and other "event" type things....

OH, WE LOVED the Creation Museum!

When we went in January, the petting zoo and botanical garden were closed, but we spent a good 4 hours in the museum itself.

We stayed in the Travel Lodge in Florence, KY. I wouldn't recommend it, really, but there are other motels in the area that are far less expensive than the ones suggested on the Creation Museum website.

We are probably going to stop by in Sept on our way to or from college visitations. Where did you find a list of other motels in the area? I look on Travelocity and similar search engines and it gives me oodles of motels, but all the way into Cincinnati, etc, and we'd prefer something close to the museum.

We also might camp since it's really one of our preferred lodging options. Would you happen to know if there's a campground reasonably nearby (tent camping, not RV park)?

Cincinnati is full of really great things to do. I am always surprised by the amount of good stuff here, considering the size of the city.

There is also a great park system with several good camping sites. You need to know that the Creation Museum is off the 275 loop (a highway that goes all around the whole greater cincinnati area) and it is not far from the actual city... 20 min? I still have never been there.

anyway, google Hamilton county parks and you should find which parks have camping. Also in Kentucky the counties you might want to look at for finding camping would be Kenton, Boone (this is probably the closest to the museum) and campbell.

THe cincinnati Museum center is quite nice, in an AMAZING art deco train station with the most amazing mosaics you will ever see. The cincinnati history museum is our favorite, of the 3 museums there. It has a reciprocal deal with many museums around the country.

We went recently, too. It really is neat. This was our second trip there.

It's hard to exit the Walk-thru-History through the bookstore, though. :D

It was really hot when we went. None of the animals in the petting zoo were very friendly (would you be in that heat?). The gardens have grown up beautifully - I wish I could have spent more time in them (but the heat!).

I loved the planetarium show. But, now that I've seen it three times I'll be excited when they come up with something new.

We stayed at the same hotel twice, two years apart. I thought it was undergoing renovations the first time we were there so I went ahead and booked again. It hadn't changed. So I'll book elsewhere next time. I don't think my $126 was well-spent.

I have every intention of getting my trip posted on my blog. But, I'm still working on posting a cookie recipe I promised. ;)

A serious question here (and I will not challenge anything you say): what did you learn?

People say visits to museums, in general, make things come to life. This is true here, too!

I think the most amazing thing that happened was my daughter changed!!!! We got home and I asked my dc what they learned/liked/disliked......my dc (7 yrs) started crying!!! We watched "The Last Adam" and she said that she didn't understand why they would do that to Jesus! After we talked and I calmed her down, she wanted to be sure Jesus knew she loved him and wanted to be with him and him with her so she could be in heaven! Then I cried!!!

I think the best thing about the museum is seeing it come to life!!!! Being able to take the scriptures and really "live" it for a few hours. Seeing the replica parts of the Ark was cool (now I sound like my dc)!

My dc also came home with a better understanding of the dinosaurs. What a book cannot do - a museum can!

I hope to get to go again when my dd (4 yrs old) is older and understands more!

My dc also came home with a better understanding of the dinosaurs. What a book cannot do - a museum can!

What does the Creation Museum teach about the dinosaurs? I know what science says, but I honestly do not know how young earth creationists deal with this issue.

Cincinnati is full of really great things to do. I am always surprised by the amount of good stuff here, considering the size of the city.

There is also a great park system with several good camping sites. You need to know that the Creation Museum is off the 275 loop (a highway that goes all around the whole greater cincinnati area) and it is not far from the actual city... 20 min? I still have never been there.

anyway, google Hamilton county parks and you should find which parks have camping. Also in Kentucky the counties you might want to look at for finding camping would be Kenton, Boone (this is probably the closest to the museum) and campbell.

THe cincinnati Museum center is quite nice, in an AMAZING art deco train station with the most amazing mosaics you will ever see. The cincinnati history museum is our favorite, of the 3 museums there. It has a reciprocal deal with many museums around the country.

Thank you for the many ideas. I think we may have a weekend to kill between college visits (I want to visit colleges during school days) - sounds like this could be the place to do it.

What does the Creation Museum teach about the dinosaurs? I know what science says, but I honestly do not know how young earth creationists deal with this issue.

Not having been to the museum (yet) I can only speak for what I've seen elsewhere, but in general, YEC believe dinosaurs survived the flood (on the ark) and died out afterward for a multitude of reasons from hunting to lack of food - same reasons other critters go extinct.

Considering I've recently seen (again - as in more samples than the original) how they are finding soft tissue in dinosaur bones in the west, it really does make one wonder if they ALL died out millions of years ago regardless of young or old earth views. Being a science inclined person, I find it incredibly difficult to believe any soft tissue could be preserved under any natural conditions for millions of years.

In general, it doesn't matter to me whether the earth is young or old... but I'm still intrigued by this museum, so plan to visit. I've only heard good things about how it is set up (from those that agree AND disagree with their views). We've been to countless numbers of the other variety... and I like my kids to know all views.

Not having been to the museum (yet) I can only speak for what I've seen elsewhere, but in general, YEC believe dinosaurs survived the flood (on the ark) and died out afterward for a multitude of reasons from hunting to lack of food - same reasons other critters go extinct.

Does the same explanation account for other extinct animals like this, this, and this? (That last one is sure a funny looking animal. A furry armadillo the size of a small car. Wouldn't it be great if such a thing still existed?)

There are thousands and thousands of extinct animals like this, many of them quite large. It seems that it would be easier to explain their presence in the fossil record by saying that these are species that didn't make it on the ark. It would also be one explanation for how they're found in strata of rock.

Considering I've recently seen (again - as in more samples than the original) how they are finding soft tissue in dinosaur bones in the west, it really does make one wonder if they ALL died out millions of years ago regardless of young or old earth views.

Slightly off topic, but I find it absolutely fascinating all the frozen mammoths they keep pulling out of Siberia. Some of them are tens of thousands of years old and yet they can still see what plants they ate during their last meal. They lived so long and there are so many of them over such a vast area that I read one estimate that there might by as many as 100,000,000(!) frozen mammoths in the Siberian permafrost.

The science nerd in me hopes they can bring the mammoth back from its DNA and establish some sort of polar Pleistocene Park. :)

Have you been to their website?

You can click on "Plan Your Visit" while there.

http://creationmuseum.org/plan-your-visit/who-are-you/first-time-guest/

It gives a general overview, like any other museum website, but not too many specifics. I'm not planning to be visiting that area of the country any time soon, so I'll have to rely on the HM to fill me in. :)

Does the same explanation account for other extinct animals like this, this, and this? (That last one is sure a funny looking animal. A furry armadillo the size of a small car. Wouldn't it be great if such a thing still existed?)

There are thousands and thousands of extinct animals like this, many of them quite large. It seems that it would be easier to explain their presence in the fossil record by saying that these are species that didn't make it on the ark. It would also be one explanation for how they're found in strata of rock.

Slightly off topic, but I find it absolutely fascinating all the frozen mammoths they keep pulling out of Siberia. Some of them are tens of thousands of years old and yet they can still see what plants they ate during their last meal. They lived so long and there are so many of them over such a vast area that I read one estimate that there might by as many as 100,000,000(!) frozen mammoths in the Siberian permafrost.

The science nerd in me hopes they can bring the mammoth back from its DNA and establish some sort of polar Pleistocene Park. :)

I agree with you completely about bringing mammoths back. A big part of me also would love to see dinosaurs - maybe not quite the ending of Jurassic Park, but the idea of it...

There is a HUGE difference in time between 10,000 years frozen (and buried) and millions of years not in one. Decay slows when frozen, but even then, I doubt it slows enough to survive frozen for millions of years either. Meat survives long periods of times in our freezer, but not indefinitely.

I'm not one that will get into debates over young/old earth nor creation/evolution nor will I continue to follow this thread if it goes that way. I honestly don't care which way people choose to believe. I don't believe any YEC folks say that all species made it on - just kinds/types of animals. It's mainly the OEE folks that try to say all species made it on when trying to discredit the ark.

I can also believe lots of kinds made in on, then died out. You asked about dinos in general... the general consensus of YEC is that some were on, then died out. In reality - who knows? It doesn't really matter - to me anyway.

I'm still intrigued by this museum and have heard many good things about how they did it.

We are probably going to stop by in Sept on our way to or from college visitations. Where did you find a list of other motels in the area? I look on Travelocity and similar search engines and it gives me oodles of motels, but all the way into Cincinnati, etc, and we'd prefer something close to the museum.

We also might camp since it's really one of our preferred lodging options. Would you happen to know if there's a campground reasonably nearby (tent camping, not RV park)?

On the Creation Museum website, there is a link to suggested places to stay. I just looked in the same towns as those motels to find less expensive places. I simply googled the "town, state motels" and got a list.

I have no idea about camping, though.

Decay slows when frozen, but even then, I doubt it slows enough to survive frozen for millions of years either. Meat survives long periods of times in our freezer, but not indefinitely.

There used to be stories about Russian soldiers eating mammoth steaks from found carcasses, but then I read that no, their dogs might have eaten it, but the meat from those things is pretty bad. The people who dug up one of them said that it smelled absolutely terrible when thawed and that it might have partially thawed and then refrozen a couple of times.

As for the dinosaurs, the Earth was a lot warmer until a couple of years ago, so there weren't any ice ages to keep one frozen. I tend to agree with you, though. It's hard to imagine any freezing conditions being cold enough and stable enough to preserve something like that for millions of years.

I hadn't heard about any dinosaur soft tissue being preserved, although I do know that in rare cases, the impression of skin or feathers or other soft tissue has been preserved in mud. Even that is pretty fantastic.

I hadn't heard about any dinosaur soft tissue being preserved, although I do know that in rare cases, the impression of skin or feathers or other soft tissue has been preserved in mud. Even that is pretty fantastic.
I am an OE creationist of sorts, and I have had all of the same questions as KingM. :D I would love more information about any soft tissue found (and what about the dino mummies that were larger than previously thought?) and the impressions of skin, feathers and soft tissue. Sites, book suggestions, etc.? (Feel free to PM, to keep opposing views out of the thread. I like to hear about all of them.)

So does this museum have dinos on their ark replica?

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Here are a couple of links from National Geographic:

Dinosaur Soft Tissue Sequenced; Similar to Chicken Proteins

Oldest Dinosaur Protein Found -- Blood Vessels, More.

A serious question here (and I will not challenge anything you say): what did you learn?
We've been to the Creation Museum several times and have loved it! Basically, the museum teaches the history of the universe as presented in the bible, what AiG calls the 7 Cs of history: Creation, Corruption, Catastrophe, Confusion, Christ, Cross and Consummation.

We haven't been there for some of the recent exhibits, but there is a new one which explains natural selection entitled "Natural Selection is Not Evolution". Their synopsis of this exhibit reads: "Enjoy the wonders of God’s Creation as you uncover what natural selection can and cannot do. In this special exhibit, examine an aquarium that resembles a real cave. This cave aquarium features live blind cavefish, showing how natural selection allows organisms to possess characteristics most favorable for a given environment—but it is not an example of evolution in the molecules-to-man sense. You’ll also uncover the truth about antibiotic resistant bacteria."

Here is a brief review of that exhibit.

This was the one I was reading about most recently:

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/43381/title/Soft_tissue_from_a_dino_fossil

I was reading about it in our local newspaper... but it's the same find. The researcher wants to prove they really have soft tissue since there's been controversy about the original T Rex sample she found. In the newspaper article I read she seemed to imply there were many similar samples at the site where she got this one - and she took far more care with this sample so no one could claim contamination. The first time they found soft tissue they were so unexpecting it that they didn't take all the possible precautions.

I'm eager to see what they come up with... and if it truly is dino soft tissue, I simply can't believe they all died out 68 (or so) million years ago. Even if the earth is old and evolution were true, some dinos had to survive in that area until much more recently to get what they are finding. Then a quick burial HAD to have happened to prevent the oxygen and bacteria, etc, from getting in there.

It's been a long time since I was in college, but I seem to recall that even under the best (natural) conditions, soft tissue could only survive a few thousand years - and the best condition was frozen and buried (as per mammoths). They may have updated that since I graduated... but I'd have a tough time believing 1 million, much less 68 million. Many previously believed extinct species have shown up alive. It would be easier for me to believe a section of the earth had dinos far more recently.

None of this proves or disproves young/old, creation/evolution of course, but it sure is interesting to those of us science minded folks.

Young-earth creationists' view of dinosaurs is well explained in this article: What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs? by AiG

If you want even more articles with more specifics about how they view dinosaurs try this: Get Answers: Dinosaurs.

HTH

Eat dino-shaped cookies!

Katrina