Menu

An Abacus

An abacus is the central (but not exclusive) teaching tool for a highly regarded math program called Right Start. Their abacus (called an AL abacus) has a novel coloring scheme to help teach seeing values around 5s and 10s.

You can use their abacus apart from their full program, and there is a RS Activities for the AL Abacus book and Workbook for this "lite" version of Right Start.

Bill

I use one and have for years, BUT, what's the difference between having 100 pennies, or 100 skittles, etc to have the numbers be visible. I have done the abacus, then it would break, then I'd go to just pennies or something until I got a new abacus. I have not found any difference in the children working with an abacus or some other objects.

I like the visual colors of the abacus (5 yellow beads and 5 blue beads) for visualing making tens. For example 8+6, you see the two sets of blue beads, one above the other, and then the left over 3+1 beads, for example. On side B of the alabacus, you have the place value side. You can skip count easy. No pulling out beans or pennies and having to count to make sure you have enough. No choking hazard for little ones. I've taken it to the store for DS to add up the groceries as we shop...can't do that w/ counters.

Their abacus (called an AL abacus) has a novel coloring scheme to help teach seeing values around 5s and 10s.

There are other abaci with two colors, btw.

Someone on here posted a link to directions for a homemade abacus, with skewers, beads, and popsicle sticks, glued together -- sorry, I can't find the link.

The advantage of having the two colors is that you can visualize the groups of 5, and quickly get the other numbers quickly by grabbing 5+2 to make 7.

I like the visual colors of the abacus (5 yellow beads and 5 blue beads) for visualing making tens. For example 8+6, you see the two sets of blue beads, one above the other, and then the left over 3+1 beads, for example. On side B of the alabacus, you have the place value side. You can skip count easy. No pulling out beans or pennies and having to count to make sure you have enough. No choking hazard for little ones. I've taken it to the store for DS to add up the groceries as we shop...can't do that w/ counters.

:iagree:

It adds one more layer of understanding mathematical concepts. I personally love the RS abacus. Gotta try it to believe it! ;)

We use Singapore, but have just ordered Miquon materials for my younger ones. May even throw in MEP when I have time to hang around the printer. We use the abacus, along with RS card games, as a supplement.

What program do you use if not RS with the abacus. Please share!

We use BJUP HomeSat. My son is now beyond needing an abacus, but in the early grades, the video teacher is forever telling you to count out 26 paper clips, or 94 chocolate chips, or 72 beans or whatever. This would take forever! So much easier on the abacus! And it's so much more beneficial for the child to SEE what 94 looks like (in groups of tens) rather than a big pile of beans.

RS's AL abacus would be a useful addition to any curriculum.

http://nurtureminds.com/

We have this Japanese (modern Japanese) abacus. I like it. We haven't used it a lot, there's a learning curve for how to use this type of abacus, although I believe that it'll be worth it and something my son will enjoy!

Carrie

My son has begged for this al year and will be starting it this Fall. He even wants to do Abacus classes so he can compete....these kids can do the computations in seconds. WOW.

Danielle

I noticed that the RS abacus has 2 different colors on each line...is that super important...better than one that only has the same color per line??? I am using Saxon for math and I was wondering if anybody here uses an abacus with other curriculums.

Kathy

The 2 colors (two sets of five) are very important. They greatly aid in seeing numbers in relation to 5s and 10s. So 8 is 5 + 3. This is much easier to see.

As an example:

How many?

Did you need to count?

Now try this:

Easier?

For my 1st grader, I use the Al Abacus with Activity Guide and Worksheets. I also use Math-U-See, and K12 math. I think the Al Abacus is a very important tool. The goal is to use it so much that the child can begin to imagine it in his/her mind. The beads colored by 5's and 10's make it really easy to visualize. The child begins to think "7 is 5 and 2" (all the dark blue beads & 2 yellow beads). It's much better than the Math-U-See blocks for facts memoriztion in my opinion. I think Math-U-See is great for place value, and the Al Abacus is great for math facts. We also use K12, which is good for stretching the brain in higher thinking skills, problem solving, patterning, and puzzles.

I think you should use it!

The 2 colors (two sets of five) are very important. They greatly aid in seeing numbers in relation to 5s and 10s. So 8 is 5 + 3. This is much easier to see.

As an example:

How many?

Did you need to count?

Now try this:

Easier?

Perfect illustration! Let me guess, you are a visual learner? If so, me tooo!

Perfect illustration! Let me guess, you are a visual learner? If so, me tooo!

If you hit me three times on the head with a stick, and five times on the back, I would say I was a "sensory learner" :D

Honestly, I sometimes bang out number combinations on a drum. "Auditory learner"?

There are many ways to learn. I like to use every way to teach I can come up with. The RS AL abacus is a nice tool to have in ones bag of tricks.

And the notation on the back-side is very good for reinforcing or teaching place value.

Bill

Oh, it's much easier to grab the abacus and slide over 40 beads than to count out 40 beans! Big fan of the RightStart AL abacus here! (We don't use RightStart math. But we still love the abacus!)

:iagree: I used RS for about 2 years. It wasn't a good fit for my next child in line and older child went to Singapore to free me up to work with the younger. We kept the abacus, which younger child does like very much. Place value and regrouping is a snap when using the backside of the abacus.

Geo

We have a reg. abacus and the RS abacus. Ever since we started using RS with the alabacus, we haven't touched the reg. abacus. The visual difference with the blue and yellow beads makes a very big difference in visualizing numbers. A reg. abacus is still handy, but if someone was going to buy just one abacus, I would always suggest the RS one.

I'm another fan of the RS Abacus. I have made mine out of bamboo skewers and beads and popscicle sticks. We have a pretty Melissa and Doug abacus that never gets used....the RS abacus is just EASIER to use for math purposes. The lay out of the blue/yellow beads is pure genious, and carries over into so many concepts.

Our #1 favorite manipulative is C rods, and #2 is the Alabacus. fwiw

I bought the Melissa & Doug one at the bookstore with my discount card. I don't have any manual or workbook for it. I have looked at RS but the $$ kept me from learning more about the program. It is much easier than beans and pennies. We travel quite a bit and it's also a great school on the road item. What is also great about it is that my children don't even know they are doing 'school'.