Menu

What's in YOUR workboxes?

zaichiki

For my 7th grade daughter, I am incorporating a PE credit. (She is a dancer and dances at least 4 nights per week, so while I'm not worried about her level of activity, I want her to get exercise from other areas than dance). On her schedule strip, she will have one form of active exercise each day. One day will be stretches & conditioning exercises (stomach crunches, push ups, etc). One day will be running (outside or on our treadmill). Two days will be Wii Fit or a yoga dvd, etc. The other day will probably be a jump rope in her workbox.

Some days we did tea time during a read aloud and my K'er would have a workbox with a tea cup so he would set the table up for tea time.

Handicrafts--any project anyone was currently working on or new ones I wanted to encourage: weaving, sewing, balsa wood projects. I also picked up some $1 crafts at the craft store.

Cooking or baking

Games--board games (educational or not) card games, games that the kids made

Treasure hunts (to help with reading)

Science center--learning about magnets, planting seeds, weighing things

Art projects

Draw write now books

Audio books

Puzzles

Mazes and dot to dots

Projects with magnetix or knex

Challenge projects (mostly from http://www.kidswhothink.blogspot.com)

Taking care of pets

Timeline

I'm glad I did this list. It reminds me of some of the fun stuff we did this year and that we actually did do something! I've been feeling sort of like we didn't do much,but this is good for me to remember.

Woolybear

For my 7th grade daughter, I am incorporating a PE credit. (She is a dancer and dances at least 4 nights per week, so while I'm not worried about her level of activity, I want her to get exercise from other areas than dance). On her schedule strip, she will have one form of active exercise each day. One day will be stretches & conditioning exercises (stomach crunches, push ups, etc). One day will be running (outside or on our treadmill). Two days will be Wii Fit or a yoga dvd, etc. The other day will probably be a jump rope in her workbox.

Could you share more about your schedule strip? I've been considering the workbox idea for my rising 7th grader, but we don't do everything ever day, and I can't wrap my brain around the logistics. I'd really appreciate it!

Well, I only learned about workboxes two days ago. Literally. (I know - head under a rock. Actually I've been busy. Homeschooling.)

Anyway - I'm all fired up about this idea because it addresses several problems we have and I've been brainstorming about how I would implement it. I made up 12 categories and then listed ideas to put in each. Here's what I have (in no particular order - just how they appear on my color-coded spreadsheet :glare:)

Music -

piano practice

theory flashcards

tin whistle (we do CC)

Bible -

Explorer's Bible study lesson

CC Bible memory work

Latin -

Song School page

Song School cd

flashcards

CC memory work

Reading -

history, science books of my choice (books of her choice at bedtime)

(include reading log and occasionally notebooking pgs)

God's World News issues and study guides

other kids magazine issues

- - - - Include a snack card to eat while reading?

Language Arts -

grammar

spelling

WWE

CC memory work

PE - basically an outside play break

bike riding

scooters

jump on mini tramp

look for kids exercise DVDs for winter?

Math -

math assignment

flashcards

CC memory work

math games (we have several math bingo, roll n add type games we enjoy)

Art/Crafts -

Art project

kids craft kits

coloring Dover books for history time period

Drawing w Children practice

Draw Write Now books

http://www.artprojectsforkids.org/

Kids Who Think project

Science/History - (alternating)

read spine

read other books

notebooking

Writing -

pen pal correspondence

GD handwriting pages

WWE copywork

thank you notes

dance mat typing

Science/History Projects -

SOTW activity guide

Science projects

Dover coloring pages

history pockets books

outdoor hour challenge

Home Ec -

sewing

knitting

embroidery

cooking

making Cmas gifts

make lunch for us

Here are some of the fun stuff I'm putting in the boxes:

Ker gets

My First Brain Box - plays with brother 1st grader

Geoboard Pictures for Little Kids

Magnetic Pattern Blocks

Nursery Rhymes (work with Mom)

Masterpieces coloring book (I have her pick one, I copy it, she water color paints it)

Different kinds of coloring books from Dover (butterflies, bugs, snakes & reptiles, wild cats, etc. etc.) I ask her to choose one, I copy it, she watercolor paints it

A Buki Activity Book - Sea-Side Mazes

Montessori Pink Material

1st grader gets

Draw Write Now

K'nex

Spanish songs

Math-U-See songs

Montessori Blue Material (phonics practice)

Scooby Doo workbook (it's the same as any other workbook, but for some reason he considers it his fun work - he he)

piano practice (he just does what he wants, no formal teaching yet)

2nd grader gets

The above 1st grade stuff +

Star Wars coloring book

5th grader gets

Some of the other things above +

"Read a poem and paint a picture about it"

Read some nursery rhymes with little sister

Grammar songs

Multiplication Tables songs

Lyrical Life Science songs

Mind Benders Beg. Book 2 Puzzles

That's all I can think of right now for fun stuff.

For academics we use the K12 curriculum, so I break it up into work boxable sessions, plus we also use Math-U-See worksheets, and Worksheets for the Al Abacus (Rightstart Math), and Explode the Code for the youngers. :D

Edited by JenniferB
adding more fun stuff I couldn't remember before.

So many great ideas! You KNOW I have to borrow some of these...

I've now added:

Draw Write Now

Tea Time (I like the idea of putting the tea cup in the workbox.)

baking

an educational DVD

typing

notebooking

a music CD or other CD (mult tables or wee sing American history)

I feel energized! Now... off to make a spreadsheet!

Thanks!

Kate

Interesting to see your list for your youngest. I'm generally in favor of just letting youngers run around and play instead of pushing academics, but I know my son is going to want to "do school" too. You have some good ideas and some things I'd not even heard of - A Buki, for instance.

Thanks for sharing -

Ker gets

My First Brain Box - plays with brother 1st grader

Geoboard Pictures for Little Kids

Magnetic Pattern Blocks

Nursery Rhymes (work with Mom)

Masterpieces coloring book (I have her pick one, I copy it, she water color paints it)

Different kinds of coloring books from Dover (butterflies, bugs, snakes & reptiles, wild cats, etc. etc.) I ask her to choose one, I copy it, she watercolor paints it

A Buki Activity Book - Sea-Side Mazes

Montessori Pink Material

Interesting to see your list for your youngest. I'm generally in favor of just letting youngers run around and play instead of pushing academics, but I know my son is going to want to "do school" too. You have some good ideas and some things I'd not even heard of - A Buki, for instance.

Thanks for sharing -

She just does the boxes as she wishes - I don't have to push her at all. She is like your son, and she was constantly asking me to do school with her, and I had nothing available. Well, I had tons of stuff, but it was in cabinets, and on shelves, and in various places. Now, I have 12 activities she can do whenever she wants in tidy little boxes. It's a brilliant invention - thank you Sue Patrick! :lol:

She just does the boxes as she wishes - I don't have to push her at all. She is like your son, and she was constantly asking me to do school with her, and I had nothing available. Well, I had tons of stuff, but it was in cabinets, and on shelves, and in various places. Now, I have 12 activities she can do whenever she wants in tidy little boxes. It's a brilliant invention - thank you Sue Patrick! :lol:

I love this idea for my Kinder boy as well.

I took the plunge!

Today I went to IKEA and got the Trofast frame and 12 bins. My dd is 12, so I have to make sure nothing seems juvenille. At this point, I am planning on setting up the boxes for 4 weeks at a time, with some type of "Mission" or directions in each box. I have one box that I will rotate different things through on different days, but all in all, I will be able to fill most of the boxes for 4-6 weeks!

I will not have her empty the bins, but will have her do the task, and return the box to the frame with the materials inside. I think I will have 2 mini-envelopes on each box: maybe 1 red and 1 green. When she is done with a task/bin, she can return it to the frame and move the marker from the red envelope over to the green. THat way, we can both see where she is at a glance, and I don't have to refill boxes every day. Somehow, I want to incorporage a rock n' roll theme as I make the place markers and envelopes. I don't have all the details figured out yet, but hey, I will get there! Also, rather than calling it "workboxes," I will call it her "office." Just sounds more grown up.

I am numbering my boxes right now! I am so excited about this idea - my dd is adhd, and I think this will be great for her. My husband informed me this morning that I am obessessed with workboxes. :hurray:

Edited by Tami

I took the plunge!

Today I went to IKEA and got the Trofast frame and 12 bins.

This is what I was thinking of getting. What size frame and bins did you get?

I'm trying to decide. I need 12 bins for my oldest ds, and about 6 for my K'er. I figured maybe getting one or two middle or large size bin for slightly bulkier items for things such as games or puzzles.

I put all kinds of things in.

Other than assignments... we've done card games, board games, field trips, chores (lol)... Today he had a note card in one of the boxes instructing him to try a software demo. Everything that I want him to get done for the day goes in the boxes.

It is amazing that it all gets done.

A df and I joke around saying we really should set up boxes for ourselves... you know, to get things done that we need to everyday. We would put stuff in our boxes like; box 1: sewing, box 2: bake cookies for charity, box 3: spa treatment... lol

:iagree: That's funny. I bet it would help me too.

I had been thinking of putting some of the kid's meals in workboxes in the refrigerator! That way they just go and grab a breakfast box or a snack box. Haven't gotten around to it though. We are too busy *not* doing workboxes.;)

Woolybear

This is what I was thinking of getting. What size frame and bins did you get?

I'm trying to decide. I need 12 bins for my oldest ds, and about 6 for my K'er. I figured maybe getting one or two middle or large size bin for slightly bulkier items for things such as games or puzzles.

I got the white 3-tiered design and 12 (small 4") bins. I went with the apple green bins and they look so cheery with the crisp white frame! Oops, I am digressing.

I also got an extra green bin and one double size white bin in case I need it for some box in the future. The double bin fits nicely ON TOP of the unit too - I have it on top of the single "cube" of the frame, and it is storing my teacher's manuals and manilla envelopes filled with ideas to rotate into the workboxes for fun. I think it is a good idea to get a couple extra boxes in different sizes - they can always be used as book baskets and whatnot.

I love that all my books and workbooks lay flat!!! There is plenty of room in the 4" bins for a jr higher, and I even think that they would hold most activities for a younger child. They are larger than they look. The frame fits under my desk (perpendicular, or L-shaped to the desk), so only the top tier really sticks out. I love that I lost no work or floor space. If you look at the measurements at the IKEA site, it really helps to choose something that will work.

As an aside, it is a good idea to add your your IKEA bins and frames to the "Shopping List" and then print it out and bring it, :auto: because the white frame I wanted wasn't in the showroom at all. You almost need to know what you want before you get there, as there were several confused moms looking at "Trofast" while I was there.:confused::tongue_smilie:

I got this all set up and filled yesterday, an although it was a lot of work, organization always SAVES time in the end! THe element of surprise is a great feature to this system, and I am gathering all kinds of fun things that have been laying around my house to rotate in to surprise her! Since my daughter is older, I will set up most of the boxes for six weeks at a time, keeping a couple boxes as "wild cards" to surprise and rotate. It will also be fun for her to occasionally open her math box to find a "Free Pass - No Math Today!" card.

Just sitting her, I brainstormed a few thoughts for more boxes: a "Joke for the Day" "Noteworthy News" and "On this Day in History." I am so obsessed and am having so much fun! :D

Just a few random thoughts.

:iagree: That's funny. I bet it would help me too.

I had been thinking of putting some of the kid's meals in workboxes in the refrigerator! That way they just go and grab a breakfast box or a snack box. Haven't gotten around to it though. We are too busy *not* doing workboxes.;)

Woolybear

This is a FABULOUS idea!

I got the white 3-tiered design and 12 (small 4") bins. I went with the apple green bins and they look so cheery with the crisp white frame! Oops, I am digressing.

I also got an extra green bin and one double size white bin in case I need it for some box in the future. The double bin fits nicely ON TOP of the unit too - I have it on top of the single "cube" of the frame, and it is storing my teacher's manuals and manilla envelopes filled with ideas to rotate into the workboxes for fun. I think it is a good idea to get a couple extra boxes in different sizes - they can always be used as book baskets and whatnot.

I love that all my books and workbooks lay flat!!! There is plenty of room in the 4" bins for a jr higher, and I even think that they would hold most activities for a younger child. They are larger than they look. The frame fits under my desk (perpendicular, or L-shaped to the desk), so only the top tier really sticks out. I love that I lost no work or floor space. If you look at the measurements at the IKEA site, it really helps to choose something that will work.

As an aside, it is a good idea to add your your IKEA bins and frames to the "Shopping List" and then print it out and bring it, :auto: because the white frame I wanted wasn't in the showroom at all. You almost need to know what you want before you get there, as there were several confused moms looking at "Trofast" while I was there.:confused::tongue_smilie:

I got this all set up and filled yesterday, an although it was a lot of work, organization always SAVES time in the end! THe element of surprise is a great feature to this system, and I am gathering all kinds of fun things that have been laying around my house to rotate in to surprise her! Since my daughter is older, I will set up most of the boxes for six weeks at a time, keeping a couple boxes as "wild cards" to surprise and rotate. It will also be fun for her to occasionally open her math box to find a "Free Pass - No Math Today!" card.

Just sitting her, I brainstormed a few thoughts for more boxes: a "Joke for the Day" "Noteworthy News" and "On this Day in History." I am so obsessed and am having so much fun! :D

Just a few random thoughts.

Tami, did you explain how you get 6 weeks set up at a time? I would really like to know how to do this, especially for my oldest? How does the system work? Does she put the work back into the boxes? I would love to see pics too! Those green bins, and that white tier shelf look really sharp. I'll bet it looks wonderful all put together.

I'm late on the workbox conversations, but I found some awesome containers today at the dollar tree. They are kind of like a soft, flexible crate (but still plastic) and big enough for papers & books where they won't have to be bent, etc. I picked up 9 and plan to just set them on a bookshelf I already have. I asked my son about the concept and he liked the idea a lot, so I'm gonna give it a try. Watching these conversations to see how everyone else uses them!

We'll, I won't see how it actually works until fall. ;) But yes, she will put the materials back in the box and return it to it's place unless there is a quiz or test. She self-corrects daily work while I proctor and grade quizzes and tests (contained in CLE Math/Language).

For science, literature and history boxes, I will have a six-week checklist/course contract that is similar to the one used in "Home-Designed High School." Other subjects will simply have an index card with directions or even a sticky note on the book. She will take out the entire box, read any directions, do the task, and then return all materials to their original placed. Here are the boxes I have:

1 - History Reading (course contract with check-off boxes)

2 - Memory (small 3-ring binder with sections for Science Vocab, Bible Truths and Poetry)

3 - Devotional Reading (index card with M/W and T/TH directions)

4 - CLE Math (no directions needed - done daily)

5 - Music or Poetry (course contract with M/W and T/TH directions)

6 - Rotating Subjects - Art History, Science Biographies, Logic, Nature Study (directions to choose from one of the options each day: Art in Ancient Egypt, Fallacy Detective, The World of Chemistry, Eyewitness Life)

7 - Science (course contract with M/W and T/TH directions)

8 - SURPRISE ME! - a variety of fun and goofy things, different each day

9 - Language Arts - (index card with M/W and T/TH directions)

10 - Diana Waring's Ancient Civilizations and the Bible (course contract with check-off boxes)

11 - Literature (course contract with check-off boxes)

12 - SURPRISE ME! - something different each day: dance dvd, cooking project, game, noteworthy news item, craft kit, some type of treat, phy-ed ball skills, etc

My dd is 12 and has worked pretty independently for a year or so. She is excited about the SURPRISE ME! boxes and her "office." Very grown up, don't you think? :D

2 - Memory (small 3-ring binder with sections for Science Vocab, Bible Truths and Poetry)

I love this box idea. I've been wondering how to incorporate Memory. I was thinking of buying "Living Memory", and making a little binder would be a good way to collect memorizations, or maybe even a little binder of index cards, or a little index card file box.

I like all your ideas, and I hope to see pictures when you're all done setting up.

I do think it's all very grown up. My kids think so too, when they check in for school, and do their boxes, and fill up their number schedule...Can you tell, I'm obsessed too? :lol:

DSC_0186.jpg

Yes, even Kitty loves them! :D I have a page in some of the drawers with a schedule, requirements, and/or directions to follow. I am psyched!

Here's a pic of my "Rotating Studies" box - choose one per day.

DSC_0178.jpg

Edited by Tami

• 2 years later...

How do you deal with subjects that they need your help on or that you need to teach with multiple children? The whole point of the workboxes is to create independence as I understand it but there are several lessons that we do together - geography, science, LA, etc. How do you organize it so that you are available and can work with more then one student at a time? I think my kids would love the idea of a workbox but I would still need some predictability on when we are all working together. Workboxes in the AM and other subjects in the PM? How do you factor this in?

Thanks

The original workbox idea has some boxes marked with a "Work with Mum" tag, so you could make and attach some of these, or you could make some "group work" or "all together" tags. The other option is to have a set of "together" boxes in a seperate stack and then refer to these on the schedule strip.

If any of this seems unclear, I highly recommend reading Sue Patrick's workboxes ebook. Its well worth buying. She designed her system for her son, who has Autism.

Danielle