Menu

Classical Conversations...to join or not to join?

Thankfully, I found the conversation about CC and I am still wading through it AND finding it helpful. My questions are directed to anyone who is in CC and plans on staying in it b/c they experience has been more positive than not.

Sorry this is SO long - (pls bear with me): I did h-s my twins when they were in first grade -- it was a very stressful time in our lives and NOT the best time to be h-s-ing anyone. Our then 3rd grade DD was in a wonderful classical Christian private school. The twins, and DD went to the wonderful school this past school year and I taught at another school and we were happy - except for the huge $$$$ for tuition for the three kids and the miniscule $$$$$ I made teaching at a small Christian school...and all the running around.

I read the CC website (I am looking at the programs in Reston, VA OR Fairfax VA so if you have personal experience with either one of those, I would love to speak with you) and (please correct me if I am wrong), came to the conclusion that the once a week CC session would actually be the 'supplement' and perhaps 'follow up' to what the kids and I would do the rest of the week.

I would welcome following someone else's lesson plan (I go in one hundred different directions with curriculum AND I make myself and everyone else crazy with it) as it would give me the structure I need in dealing with three VERY intelligent and strong willed children. It is my hope that the CC group would provide the framework that I would work within the other days of the week.

I would so appreciate hearing from someone who is in CC and can say to me, 'yes, there is a good possibility that CC can provide what you are looking for' OR 'no! You are way off base and cc will not do that for you.'

Apologies for the length of this -- thanks in advance -- Mariann

Don't know the ages of your kids, but I think you'd do better to look at the VP Scholars program. It would give you daily lesson plans, the concrete assignments you're wanting, a classical approach, plenty of rigor, flexibility with the grades and subject levels (up or down to fit their level), the whole nine yards.

Hi - I followed Elizabeth's suggestion and I have been reading about the program on the veritas press website. I am intrigued, and I think that with VP, me, and two IEW instructors I've been emailing, I will have the subjects covered in which I DO want help and structure.

I know I am great with Math -- no problem there -- so I think I have a plan forming.

Mariann

We have loved it, but it is indeed an add-on to other curriculum and YOU are the organizer, not CC. As I tutor, I've seen the whole gamut -- the very organized parents who structure everything around CC to those who don't do any of it at home at all. The parent is primarily in charge.

Friends have been very happy with the Veritas materials and online classes, and I actually know several of the teachers. They laid a very good foundation last year for their online program, and I expect that it will continue to expand and improve.

I think you'd be happy with CC. I believe you'd like the structure, the accountability to do something (not given by CC but just the atmosphere) and the material you cover over the 3 years. Yes, there are some things I don't like. Yes, if I planned it I would do some things differently. BUT, if I had to put the whole thing together, I'm not sure that I'd have it ready for my grandkids! Nothing's perfect, and it's a bit of a "buy-in" which for homeschoolers can be a challenge. Here's the upside, Interaction with heavy parental involvement. Memory work, which eventually helps other material just fall right in place (even for my 5 almost 6 yr old) at an older age...a help with teaching English grammar and IEW writing. For the $$$ and time, I don't think you can go wrong by giving is a really "good go" for a year. My husband actually knows someone in one of the VA groups, I think, I'll ask him which one.

Carrie:-)

Well good Mariann! There's a great yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vp_elementary where you can chat with others using Scholars. I know exactly what how you're feeling, and Scholars can be a real answer to that, with non-negotiable, intelligent assignments. And it allows you to put them together for content subjects like history while still having them separate as needed for their skills. Oh, and VP will set you up to do a consult with one of their teachers so they can help you figure out EVERYTHING you need! It's really great. I did a consult a year ago with Laurie Detweiler, and that was the greatest thing ever, definitely a good use of my time. They're sincerely dedicated to help you get a great education and keeping it practical. And if you've looked at where it's going, Omnibus is GREAT. I got Omnibus 1 and have started doing the readings, just to make sure it's where I really want to go. I'm so pleased. Even if the things aren't exactly what you would have wanted in all points, the overall is so good, just let it help you. But that non-negotiable thing, where someone else decided. That can be helpful. :)

(I don't mean non-negotiable as in you can't tweak, but rather that you don't have to TELL the kids you can. ;) )

Don't know the ages of your kids, but I think you'd do better to look at the VP Scholars program. It would give you daily lesson plans, the concrete assignments you're wanting, a classical approach, plenty of rigor, flexibility with the grades and subject levels (up or down to fit their level), the whole nine yards.

:iagree: with Elizabeth.

I think as a teacher you wouldn't be pleased with CC's approach and that it wouldn't be that supplement to your own instruction that you're looking for. VP Scholars is definitely a more scholastic approach with the instructional support many people are wanting.

:iagree: with Elizabeth.

I think as a teacher you wouldn't be pleased with CC's approach and that it wouldn't be that supplement to your own instruction that you're looking for. VP Scholars is definitely a more scholastic approach with the instructional support many people are wanting.

Ok, since I do CC you can probably guess that I won't agree:-) It's not like if you could have one mom for every child....and get perfect instruction. BUT, I've watched many friends with good intentions...CC is a way to give your kids pegs to hang what you do at home. Picture pegs from CC, hat, scarf, mittens, and such with a great coat hanging from those pegs:-)

Carrie

I think people are confusing things. Nobody said not to do CC. Do CC if you want. All I said was CC isn't going to give you the structure, accountability, planning, and stubborn-kid-busting curriculum plans you're wanting. For that VP would be great. Do both if you want. :)

we're signed up for the Fairfax CC! I was very impressed with their director and how it was run. I had visited another local CC and did not have a good impression. in fact, I had decided not to do CC but then a friend took me to Fairfax. The kids loved it the day we visited and so did I. we're doing it as a supplement and because I don't really do the fine arts stuff on my own, as well as for social reasons. good luck and maybe I'll meet you!

• 2 weeks later...

I am joining Classical Conversations this year with dd 7 and ds 5. I'm worried I might be overdoing everything as we are planning on doing Prima Latina, Saxon Math, Shurley Grammar, CC, All About Spelling, and Kono's Africa. I would also like to fit in a bible study but haven't picked one out. Is this possible or just crazy???

Lori

we're signed up for the Fairfax CC! I was very impressed with their director and how it was run. I had visited another local CC and did not have a good impression. in fact, I had decided not to do CC but then a friend took me to Fairfax. The kids loved it the day we visited and so did I. we're doing it as a supplement and because I don't really do the fine arts stuff on my own, as well as for social reasons. good luck and maybe I'll meet you!

Hey there:-)

Would you mind what you didn't like about the first one? and how the second one was different??

I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to make ours the most attractive it could be!

Thanks!

Carrie:-)

I think people are confusing things. Nobody said not to do CC. Do CC if you want. All I said was CC isn't going to give you the structure, accountability, planning, and stubborn-kid-busting curriculum plans you're wanting. For that VP would be great. Do both if you want. :)

No, I disagree.

I don't think you fully grasp what CC offers. CC does give you those very things. VP Scholars offers an already written scripted lesson plan where CC doesn't.

CC offers the support and encouragement of friends - that really helps with stubborn kids a lot! VP offers a lot of great things - they are very nice compliments to each other. It's just that I think you are not really understanding the CC program and network.

One of my best friends teaches in CC in Fairfax (the one that meets at Alexandria Baptist). She was my inspiration to get into classical ed and is a fantastic teacher (of her own 4, as well as CC). She will be doing the Challenge program, I believe, but I'm not totally sure. She taught the lowest level for 2 or 3 years. We were just talking about Memory Master yesterday (where you memorize everything perfectly and recite it w/o any mistakes) and she was telling me what is involved--it is quite challenging, but there were 2 6yos who did it--had great support from both CC and home.

Also, there are 3 levels of CC--Foundations, Essentials and Challenge, I believe. Each offering is somewhat different, as far as structure and what is covered--which were you considering? Have you decided to definitely pull your eldest from private school?

Iiwy, I might consider doing a few classes with VP, adding in CC, and then doing at least math on your own. I need to feel some control, but do like some scripted curricula--as long as I can tweak.

I am joining Classical Conversations this year with dd 7 and ds 5. I'm worried I might be overdoing everything as we are planning on doing Prima Latina, Saxon Math, Shurley Grammar, CC, All About Spelling, and Kono's Africa. I would also like to fit in a bible study but haven't picked one out. Is this possible or just crazy???

Lori

Lori, that sounds pretty reasonable to me. I'll bet you'll be fine! The best way to know is to ramp up slowly, starting with one or two subjects and adding a new one each week. :)