Menu

book or website on how to teach reading?

mo2

I found the book Teach a Child to Read With Children's Books: Combining Story Reading, Phonics, and Writing to Promote Reading Success by Mark B. Thogmartin

to be an interesting read, as it shows how to concoct your own program, explaining phonics as encountered in reading children's literature/books rather than as isolated words. The description is fairly in depth.

When my daughter encountered difficulties learning to tear, I read everything I could, old and new, on the subject of reading instruction. I tried about a dozen programs with very little progress. The book that changed things for me was Diane McGuinness' book, "Why Our Children Can't Read and What We Can Do About It." Though the book talks about a couple of programs (Jolly Phonics, Reading Reflex, and the author's own Allographs) these were not the main point of the book. She discusses the history of writing and the different kinds of systems that developed. She discusses the basics of the principles of an alphabetic language and the struggles with reading English because its "code" is opaque--that is, contains multiple complexities in its sound-spelling correspondences. Once I read this book, I knew exactly what my daughter needed -- and that it didn't exist yet. So I made my own. Worked like a charm. After 9 months of intensive work based on the principles outlined in this book, she went from a non-reader to an high school level reader.

This book is written in an easily accessible style. Don't get bogged down in her specifics--I came to disagree with many of her practical solutions. For further information you can look at her more scholarly books, "Early Reading Instruction" and one about language, but the title escapes me right now.

Best of luck!

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(11) dd(7) ds(5) ds(1)

How about the Writing Road to Reading by Romalda Spalding. This is an excellent program! Both my kids are excellent readers. Search the forum for this. There have been many posts about this program. Best of all, the book only costs about $22.

Jennifer

I found the book Teach a Child to Read With Children's Books: Combining Story Reading, Phonics, and Writing to Promote Reading Success by Mark B. Thogmartin

to be an interesting read, as it shows how to concoct your own program, explaining phonics as encountered in reading children's literature/books rather than as isolated words. The description is fairly in depth.

Here's the full text of that book on ERIC: http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICDocs/data/ericdocs2sql/content_storage_01/0000019b/80/16/06/84.pdf

I haven't read it yet, but just picked it up at the library yesterday:

Teach Anyone To Read: The No-Nonsense Guide by Lillie Pope, PhD.

Again I know nothing about this book yet besides the title and author. Thought I would look over it this week to see if it had any good ideas. We'll see! :001_smile:

Also, this is the new edition for what it's worth.

I haven't read it yet, but just picked it up at the library yesterday:

Teach Anyone To Read: The No-Nonsense Guide by Lillie Pope, PhD.

Again I know nothing about this book yet besides the title and author. Thought I would look over it this week to see if it had any good ideas. We'll see! :001_smile:

Also, this is the new edition for what it's worth.

Did you get a chance to look this over? Any reviews for us yet?

:iagree::iagree:

This is everything you need to know and is very inexpensive.

The only other thing I would say is 'readiness really matters', one of my girls read at 4 years old the other would not read until 8. :001_smile: They both have the same love of reading now.

The age difference was for the best because I would have been unbearable (with pride) over how easy it is to teach my children.:blush: