Menu

Talk to me about pointe.

My dd 12 is very involved with and committed to dance. She takes ballet, jazz, tap, lyrical, hip hop and modern, and is in a competition group. She loves them all, except ballet, and only takes that because it's a studio requirement. She's taking an intensive dance camp this week, and the teacher (a new one to this studio) informed the class tonight that they all need pointe shoes by tomorrow. The kids were told that they all need to be enrolled in the pointe class this fall, because they are far enough in ballet that any more ballet is a waste of time if they don't do pointe.

This is news to me.

This is a dance studio, not a ballet school. My dd has no plans to be a professional dancer, let alone a ballerina. I have discouraged pointe in the past, mainly because it's terrible for the feet. I also don't want to pay for shoes and one more class unless there really is a good reason to do it. There is no policy at this school that the girls have to do pointe.

So. Do your dds take pointe? Is it really worthwhile? Is further ballet really a "waste of time" without pointe? That sounds like baloney to me, but I don't know anything about dance.

I don't have any problem telling the teacher "no". I just want to be sure I understand the issues before making a decision. Thanks.

Edited by Perry

My 12yo dd has just started pointe classes in the last 8 months. I can't believe the teacher would say that you needed them tomorrow. My dd's ballet teacher had them spend months beforehand on various exercises to strengthen their ankles and each girl was examined individually to see if she was ready. My dd is in the Prep ensemble for our city-wide ballet/jazz companies. Her main dance is ballet, so she has loved her pointe classes.

I would make sure this teacher knows her stuff. Maybe you should talk to the owner of the studio and see what their policy is on progression with/without pointe.

I would make sure this teacher knows her stuff. Maybe you should talk to the owner of the studio and see what their policy is on progression with/without pointe.

I know the owner pretty well and she has never pushed anyone into pointe. She has told several girls they aren't ready, so I know she's not the one encouraging this. I do plan to let her know what this teacher said.

Pointe shoes by tomorrow?? They need to be fitted and broken in. But more importantly, the dc needs to be very carefully evaluated.

I am not too happy with our school at the moment, but they do take safety seriously. Dc are evaluated carefully and take pre-pointe as a pre-requisite.

My ballet teacher (not a dance teacher but a former professional ballerina) actually didn't allow some of us in the advance class to go on pointe because she didn't think it would be good for our feet. I have stiff ankles.

Anyway, of course dance can progress without pointe! I was one of the leads in the production and our school had over 200 students. The other girl in our class who didn't do pointe joined an Alex-Haley-style dance troupe later, professionally.

I would definitely question the owner and/or teacher. At our dance studio (not a ballet school exclusively), all girls who wish to start a pointe class must visit their doctor, have a growth assessment to be sure all youthful foot growth is complete, and when it's time to get pointe shoes, they are fitted, and this is not something that can be done overnight.

To be sure, our dance studio owner/teacher is extremely conservative when it comes to health and safety.

As an aside, I have never heard that ballet instruction can't really go forward without pointe...that seems ludicrous and a bit self-serving in the case of the teacher who said it to you.

My dance teacher evaluated each of us individually to make sure we were ready for pointe. I personally loved ballet more than any other style, so I was thrilled to learn pointe. I would definitely check with the studio owner about that policy, though. Pointe shoes are pretty pricey, too, and I wouldn't want to rush that kind of purchase. You need to find the right brand for your feet and spend time breaking them in.

This teacher doesn't know what the heck she's talking about. To be fitted for pointe shoes you should schedule an appointment at the dance supply store and plan on spending about an hour. You don't just suddenly go out and buy pointe shoes and start the next day. It's a process, and one that should be undertaken with a lot more thought. I'd get a different teacher!

Usually in a pre-professional classical ballet school the requirement for going on pointe typically is several years of ballet technique at least 3 times a week for 1.5 hours each class. This is to ensure proper muscle development and proper placement of the body once pointe is introduced. My dd's first pointe shoe fitting with a professional fitter took 2 hours. The shoes are then taken to the next ballet class so the teacher can approve the fit. Only then is the student allowed to sew on ribbons and elastics.

All classical ballets are performed in pointe shoes, so it is an expected progression for the classical ballet dancer. That being said, not all kids want to dance professionally or even stick strictly with classical ballet so unless you are in a pre-professional classical ballet school I can't imagine requiring a dancer to go on pointe if they aren't interested.

My dd teaches ballet in a school where *all* students are required to take ballet, because ballet is the foundation for most dance. Competition students have to take 2 hrs. of ballet a week *in addition* to their jazz or other classes (not counting hip-hop, which is a whole different animal, lol).

I'll have to ask dd, but it seems to me that yes, ballet without going on to pointe is a waste of time. If the policy of the school is that the students take ballet, then yes, that will include pointe, even if it isn't specifcally mentioned. It is understood.

As the mom of a teacher who is given grief by parents over things all the time, I'm going to encourage you to cooperate. What is being required is not out of line, and it takes the heart out of teachers to have to haggle over stuff like this.

I'm puzzled at why the teacher would give everyone such short notice, but that's a different issue.

My dd teaches ballet in a school where *all* students are required to take ballet, because ballet is the foundation for most dance. Competition students have to take 2 hrs. of ballet a week *in addition* to their jazz or other classes (not counting hip-hop, which is a whole different animal, lol).

I'll have to ask dd, but it seems to me that yes, ballet without going on to pointe is a waste of time. If the policy of the school is that the students take ballet, then yes, that will include pointe, even if it isn't specifcally mentioned. It is understood.

As the mom of a teacher who is given grief by parents over things all the time, I'm going to encourage you to cooperate. What is being required is not out of line, and it takes the heart out of teachers to have to haggle over stuff like this.

I'm puzzled at why the teacher would give everyone such short notice, but that's a different issue.

This isn't a ballet school. We have written policies, and it is a written policy that all students have to take ballet. There is *not* a policy, even an implicit understanding, that all ballet students take pointe. If they want to require pointe, that needs to be made clear to the parents. This is a brand new teacher, she has no business making a new policy without the involvement of the studio owner.

This isn't a ballet school. We have written policies, and it is a written policy that all students have to take ballet. There is *not* a policy, even an implicit understanding, that all ballet students take pointe. If they want to require pointe, that needs to be made clear to the parents. This is a brand new teacher, she has no business making a new policy without the involvement of the studio owner.

I understand that it is not a ballet school. Nevertheless, ballet is not stagnant; at some point students will go on to pointe, whether that is written into the policy or not.

Also, you may not know whether or not this teacher has talked to the studio owner.

Edited by Ellie

That sounds insane to me. My dd attends a school that is a ballet school - they have modern as well, but it's pretty much ballet.

They are not *allowed* to go on pointe unless they have been assessed as having proper foot/ankle/muscle development. Like someone else said, their growth is also supposed to be assessed. They all have to take a year of pre-pointe class that's 1.5 hours 2x/week. Even after that, there's a pointe test. Many girls are required to take another year of ballet after that (mine will most likely be one of them), and then take another pointe test. Even then not all will be moved to pointe.

The school has recently set up a parallel track for girls who may never be ready for pointe but still want to take intermediate/advanced ballet. You risk injury and foot damage if you move to pointe prematurely. Sure, you can't be a professional ballerina without pointe, but that doesn't sound like that's what this school is developing.

I can't imagine a teacher walking into a room of 12 yo girls, who are not even specializing in ballet, who may very well not have had proper prep, and are in different stages of growth, and telling them hey it's time for pointe. That's like dance malpractice.

Edited by matroyshka

I understand that it is not a ballet school. Nevertheless, ballet is not stagnant; at some point students will go on to pointe, whether that is written into the policy or not.

Also, you may not know whether or not this teacher has talked to the studio owner.

Changes in policy need to come from the owner/director. Not a brand new teacher that none of the parents have ever met. The written policy regarding pointe is this: "Pointe is by invitation only." We've been at this studio for 5 years, and I know all the competition and advanced student families. About 1/4 to 1/3 of these girls over the age of 12 take pointe. I know only a handful that were "invited". The rest asked the director if they could take pointe, and she gave them the o.k. It has never been expected or encouraged at this studio. That may be changing with this new teacher, but in the past it definitely has not been the expectation that all the girls will take pointe.

Edited by Perry

I would definitely talk to the owner. It doesn't sound like this teacher knows what she's talking about!

I was *allowed* en pointe when I was 7 (yes, I'm cringing as I type this). Things were very different then - it was the mid 70's and no one was thinking about the effect on bone growth, etc. My parents had no idea what it was all about, and what little girl who loves ballet is going to turn down that kind of offer, lol! I remember going to about ten different ballet shoe stores before someone could even find my size, my feet were so small!

The woman who ran my ballet school (God rest her soul) was a very sweet old lady who had been on Broadway in her prime, and I guess her motto was "if you can do it, why not!"

Regrets? Sure. I have a seriously bum ankle now, and if you could see my feet, ugh. Once when I needed to have an x-ray, the tech stared at my feet for about ten minutes and said she'd never seen feet like that before! The arches are a mess and it's nearly impossible to find shoes to fit.

Live and learn, right? But like I said, I'd talk to the owner. There's no way something like this should be an overnight thing.

I need to apologize.

I talked to my dd today, the ballet teacher. She said that pointe would be *very* beneficial to any dancer, but that no, it is not necessary to *ever* do pointe. She said pointe shoes were not even introduced until around 1920 even though one of the Louis :-) had introduced ballet long before.

If you haven't already done so, yes, of course, you should talk to the studio owner (and not other parents, BTW). Your dd should be able to continue ballet without pointe. Can't help you with the current situation, though. :-(

pointe shoes were not even introduced until around 1920
I believe Marie Taglioni performed on pointe in the early to mid 1800s. Later the construction of the shoe progressed to a sturdy box at the toes, a sturdy shank, etc.