Menu

So, there is very little in the house to eat ...

Bless your heart. Do you have something to eat tomorrow?

We have one frozen pizza in the freezer and some refried beans, cheese, and tortillas. We even have a little bread for a snack before we go to bed.

Thanks for asking. :001_smile:

grilled cheese....or a scrambled egg sandwich! Nothing really THAT wrong with oatmeal....but it would be grits at my house, LOL :lol:

I think there is enough bread. My daughter is allergic to eggs though so I couldn't have given that to her. I think there might be two eggs in there I could have had. LOL

You probably don't want to hear this, but I love oatmeal. . . cold. . . with brown sugar. . . and soy milk. I make it in the morning and eat 1/3 here, 1/3 there.

Just some ideas: go "eat out" at Costco and get some free samples.

Or, flour, cheese and tomato sauce and you've got pizza.

Eggs are a great way to go.

Can you bake homemade bread?

Hang in there -- I admire your not resorting to credit cards!

Alicia

My great-grandmother's favourite thing to eat on a shoestring: cream of chicken soup poured over dry toast. It's what she lived on during the Depression, and she still loved it until she died last year at 102. I love it too, it's filling and very economical! In these tough times, it helps to have a few recipes that can spread as far as need be. :grouphug:

We have times like that. Tonight's dinner, hobo hamburgers. Ground beef seasoned and made into burger patties, then laid on foil. Potato slices, and carrot slices added on top (I put onions on mine too). Baked at 450F for 45 minutes. SO yummy! And great for using up the last few carrots and potatoes as we come into a payday.

We have times like that. Tonight's dinner, hobo hamburgers. Ground beef seasoned and made into burger patties, then laid on foil. Potato slices, and carrot slices added on top (I put onions on mine too). Baked at 450F for 45 minutes. SO yummy! And great for using up the last few carrots and potatoes as we come into a payday.

My father used to make that over the fire when we went camping. YUMMY is right. :001_smile:

Ooh, that sounds yummy ... but it's reminding me of another favourite 'we have nothing to eat' meal ... hamburger toast!

Lightly toast the bread (in the oven) until it's barely crisped, then spread it with hamburger, season to taste (I use garlic, salt, pepper, and butter) and then bake until the hamburger's done.

But don't do what I did the first time I made it without mom and decide the baking sheet isn't really necessary :/

Ooh, that sounds yummy ... but it's reminding me of another favourite 'we have nothing to eat' meal ... hamburger toast!

Lightly toast the bread (in the oven) until it's barely crisped, then spread it with hamburger, season to taste (I use garlic, salt, pepper, and butter) and then bake until the hamburger's done.

But don't do what I did the first time I made it without mom and decide the baking sheet isn't really necessary :/

MMM that does sound yummy. My problem is we seldom have bread left as we come into a payday, we run out a good 5 days or so before. I really need to start baking my own.

I know what you mean about the end of the month. We get paid tomorrow also. Dh and I were just talking and he mentioned that we should make up a shopping list. I told him it would be easier to make a list of things we DON'T need. :glare: (We also had those bugs in the pantry from the rice and had to throw away a bunch of stuff)

And then tomorrow will have to be HOURS at various stores to do our monthly stock up. :tongue_smilie:

Woo hoo for payday! :hurray::hurray::hurray: The dollar is just not stretching like it used to! I went to the grocery store yesterday and bought ONLY essentials, 90% produce, and even with my "club card" the bill was pushing $100. Life is crazy when cukes costs $1 each and a small bag of carrots is $1.79!! AACK!

Now that I'm an adult with kids, I understand some of the meals my Mom and Dad fixed for our family when I was growing up. I'm sure they were "end of the month" meals...creamed ground beef and peas on toast, baked mac & cheese with veggies and cubed ham, etc. And I NEVER knew they were EOTM meals...they made them taste so good and I look back with fondness, because their attitudes were so wonderful. Thanks Mom & Dad!

MMM that does sound yummy. My problem is we seldom have bread left as we come into a payday, we run out a good 5 days or so before. I really need to start baking my own.

When you do your grocery shopping, if you are able to swing an extra loaf of bread, you can just throw it into the freezer! Then, towards the end of the month when you notice that your fresh loaf is about finished, take the frozen loaf out of the freezer and into the fridge. It will thaw within 24 hours and is as fresh as the day you put it in the freezer. Give it a shot!

Edited by lilbean05

When you do your grocery shopping, if you are able to swing an extra loaf of bread, you can just throw it into the freezer! Then, towards the end of the month when you notice that your fresh loaf is about finished, take the frozen loaf out of the freezer and into the fridge. It will thaw within 24 hours and is as fresh as the day you put it in the fridge. Give it a shot!

We do this, but we thaw it on the kitchen counter.

When you do your grocery shopping, if you are able to swing an extra loaf of bread, you can just throw it into the freezer! Then, towards the end of the month when you notice that your fresh loaf is about finished, take the frozen loaf out of the freezer and into the fridge. It will thaw within 24 hours and is as fresh as the day you put it in the freezer. Give it a shot!

This is a great way to save bread.

(p.s. it's also a great way to stop yourself from eating all the cookies if you have to thaw them first, and they thaw out nicely too)

We do this, but we thaw it on the kitchen counter.

I buy several loaves when it is buy one get one free at Kroger. I then freeze them. A couple of days ago, they had whole wheat buns BOGOF, so I bought four packs to freeze for when we need them.

I thaw mine on the counter as well.

I buy loaves by the dozen to freeze. The problem is we can easily go through 2 or more loaves a day (depending on what we are eating that day). Typically In a month we go through 25-35 loaves of bread, my deep freeze can only hold so much bread, especially if I have just stocked up on meat. By the end of the month(like the last 5-7 days) we are out of bread usually, with no way to buy more. It is because we go through so much that I need to think about actually baking my own. Even buying the day old discount stuff I think I spend almost $40/month just in bread.

My great-grandmother's favourite thing to eat on a shoestring: cream of chicken soup poured over dry toast. It's what she lived on during the Depression, and she still loved it until she died last year at 102. I love it too, it's filling and very economical! In these tough times, it helps to have a few recipes that can spread as far as need be. :grouphug:

DH's grandmother loved warm milk poured over dry toast.

I buy loaves by the dozen to freeze. The problem is we can easily go through 2 or more loaves a day (depending on what we are eating that day). Typically In a month we go through 25-35 loaves of bread, my deep freeze can only hold so much bread, especially if I have just stocked up on meat. By the end of the month(like the last 5-7 days) we are out of bread usually, with no way to buy more. It is because we go through so much that I need to think about actually baking my own. Even buying the day old discount stuff I think I spend almost $40/month just in bread.

That is impressive!!! We go through maybe 4 a month, but my kids are still little (almost 4, 2.5, and one due in Oct). We do go through cereal like crazy. The kids can put away a box of Special K in a few days, which is crazy for such little people. Right now they still eat half sandwiches, so we don't go through bread so quickly. I am guessing we will be in your bread boat in several more years!!

That is impressive!!! We go through maybe 4 a month, but my kids are still little (almost 4, 2.5, and one due in Oct). We do go through cereal like crazy. The kids can put away a box of Special K in a few days, which is crazy for such little people. Right now they still eat half sandwiches, so we don't go through bread so quickly. I am guessing we will be in your bread boat in several more years!!

haha just you wait. My oldest is a carboholic, and my ds5 eats more than all of us put together. We go through a box of cereal a day, minimum of 1 loaf of bread, 2 L of milk, if I use eggs we use a minimum of a dozen at one time. I only have 4 kids, and 1 is still a toddler and these kids are eating me out of house and home already. We are almost at a point of needing to cook 2 chickens because they will eat the one I cook, all the potatoes and veggies and still be looking for more. DS5 can eat a 12" pizza on his own so If I make or order pizzas we need 3 of them. I am scared to think what their appetites will be when they are all teens, YIKES!

Dd5 is heading for a growth spurt, I think, because she can eat 2 whole peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and still want more, or she'll eat 2 packages of ramen noodles (I strain the broth so she just has the noodles, but that's a lot!).

But I can't imagine going through that much bread a month! Just out of curiosity, though, are your loaves in Canada the same size as ours in the US? Ours are usually about 20 oz.

Dd5 is heading for a growth spurt, I think, because she can eat 2 whole peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and still want more, or she'll eat 2 packages of ramen noodles (I strain the broth so she just has the noodles, but that's a lot!).

But I can't imagine going through that much bread a month! Just out of curiosity, though, are your loaves in Canada the same size as ours in the US? Ours are usually about 20 oz.

I have never checked how many oz they are but I assume they are about the same size.

My grandparents and great-grandparents always had a bowl of cereal, bread and milk, or oatmeal for dinner. They never ate a "meal" by our sense. I think it was warm, comforting, and filling.

It is hard to look at cupboards that are low or bare & not feel bad. Tomorrow is better! Don't go shopping hungry though.... even if you need to eat a big bowl of oatmeal! It costs too much to shop while hungry. It all looks so good!

I had several friends hanging on by a thread in grad school & they lived off Ramen Noodles. I used to buy spaghetti & just eat it with butter & parmesean to hang on.

I hope you find lots of great sales & deals tomorrow to stretch the budget money to the best limits!

Going through 2 loaves of bread in a day isn't unthinkable if you are having toast at breakfast, sandwiches at lunch and bread/butter with dinner...especially with a lot of kids. We go through about 20-22 loaves a month. We buy 5 loaves a week and sometimes have to get an extra one if we have cinnamon toast as a snack or sandwiches twice in one day. Bread is a major food item for us LOL.

We definitely have days like that too! Corn chowder is my standby the-cupboards-are-bare meal. But we have had cereal on more than one occasion.

Our children eat a lot of bread, so I got a 2nd hand breadmaker and bake all my own now. It saves us a lot of money and the bread is much healthier too as it isn't chock full of preservatives and other nasties.

Don't go shopping hungry though.... even if you need to eat a big bowl of oatmeal! It costs too much to shop while hungry. It all looks so good!
So true! Going shopping hungry is VERY expensive.

Tomorrow or Tuesday is payday and I only get paid once a month. :tongue_smilie:

I'm having oatmeal for supper.

Oh yes, I've had days like that and I love oatmeal for dinner! The one thing I hated not having by the end of the month was milk and money for gas :001_huh: (kind of hard to actually get to work without any!)

You probably don't want to hear this, but I love oatmeal. . . cold. . . with brown sugar. . . and soy milk. I make it in the morning and eat 1/3 here, 1/3 there.

Just some ideas: go "eat out" at Costco and get some free samples.

:lol: I have done the sample thing! And I loooove cold oatmeal too.

My grandmother's favorite thing was baked beans on toast when they had no money in London during WWII. My mom still eats that sometimes.

DH's grandmother loved warm milk poured over dry toast.

My kids keep asking for this because that is what The Boxcar Children like to eat for dinner - Milk poured over bread :)

My grandmother's favorite thing was baked beans on toast when they had no money in London during WWII. My mom still eats that sometimes.

This is something my aunt eats often even today. She and her six siblings never ate as well as we eat today. They never just had hamburger, for example. It was always mixed with oats or bread to make it go farther. Times were always tight for them, and prepackaged foods were practically non-existent to them. Their mom made everything from scratch, had a garden, etc. Well, until she died when she was 38 of leukemia and the eldest sister had to care for the family. There were also two polio victims in the family.

I just cannot imagine what it was like for my mom growing up.