Menu

Massage...first time going, tell me what to expect.

My sil gave me a gift certificate for an hour-long massage. I've had it since Christmas, and finally made the appointment. Sil assures me it's going to be wonderful, but I don't really know what to expect, and I'm not sure I think it's going to be wonderful. I'm very overweight, and extremely self-conscious about it. :001_unsure: I'm embarassed just thinking about going to that appointment today, but I know sil has been waiting to hear that I've used her gift.

What do I need to know? What should I expect?

Edited by Julie in CA

Guest EliotLe

Usually a massage is a real great way to relax and get your mind sorted. Just go there without any prejudices and see what comes. I am sure the people there will treat you nicely and you will enjoy the session. I've only made positive experiences with massages.

1. DO NOT be embarassed.

2. Wear very comfortable clothing for the ride home.

3. You can choose to wear nothing or undies or undies and bra. You will ALWAYS be covered. They are VERY skilled at this! I would recommend nothing, honestly, because while they probably aren't going to massage anywhere you would feel uncomfortable not being touched, the undies and bra will get in the way of the long strokes.

4. Drink A TON of water before and after.

5. You might feel very, very tired tonight, or very, very invigorated. People's bodies respond differently.

6. PREPARE to feel GREAT!

My husband and I have had massages regularly for about 10 years now. When we DON'T have them for a while we start feeling badly. Reminds me. I need to book one!

enjoy!!!!!!!

I'm totally jealous! I've only had one but it was fantastic. Like you, I was nervous. But they only do what is comfortable for you. The masseuse worked out so many kinks in my neck and back that I didn't have any headaches for about 3 months afterward.

Definitely drink the water. The massage releases tons of toxins in your body that will need to be flushed out. And be prepared to feel a bit woozy when it's over.

My message therapist is very good and very discreet. I strip down to undies and lay on table. I am totally covered with a blanket and then she only expose the small part that she is working on at the time. When she is doing body work on the front of my body I have an additional towel covering my books. At no time is any private areas exposed.

And believe me a masseuse could care less if you are overweight. They have many different clinents all the time. My hubby also get messages and he is almost 100 lbs overweight. My message therapist herself is overweight. It is simply not an issue.

Also be sure to mention if pressure is too hard or if it hurts or is uncomfortable. They do not take it personally and will adjust to what works for you. You can also mention if you are having pain or tighness in a specific area and they will work on that for you. If this is your first time, I would not go for a deep tissue message and you will feel like you have worked out for a few days afterwards. The message itself should feel good and you should feel good afterwards.

Jusr relax and enjoy.

First of all relax and enjoy your massage! I understand being self-conscious, but like Karen said, these people really do not judge.

I have a close friend who is a massage therapist, and she has assured me of this!

From my own experience (I LOVE massage therapy!) and from what i've learned from my massage therapist friend, here are my two cents:

1. DO shower before you go. And, if you shave, definitely shave your legs. Stubbly ones are not particularly comfortable on their hands, so it's really a courtesy.

2. As has already been said, you will ALWAYS be covered. It may feel strange having a stranger's hands on your naked body, but just try to go with it and enjoy it! They are very discreet.

3. Many massage therapists routinely work on the glutes. Some ask in advance if it's ok, some do not. So, if you don't want them touching your rear end, make sure you tell them "No glute work" when they consult with you prior to the session.

4. They use oil, so your hair will be gloppy when you leave.

5. Take off all your jewelry. I try to leave it at home so it doesn't get lost, but they'll remind you when you get there.

6. If they're talking and you don't want to, don't hesitate to tell them you prefer a quiet, relaxing massage. They won't be offended! Also, if you feel like chatting, that's ok, too.

Have a great massage!

The massage therapist will talk to you about your comfort level, any areas you would like worked on / avoided, what sort of scents you like, etc. She will continue to communicate about the touch pressure, etc, throughout the massage.

During the massage itself you are always covered, except the part they're working on at the time. Most people do not find it relaxing to be naked in a room with a stranger, plus the sheet keeps you warm. The person doing your massage is a professional. I have never met a massage therapist whose conduct has suggested anything else. Some are more chatty or casual than others, but you are not an object of their expert action like a medical exam; it is, in fact, all about your comfort.

One note - I had a gift certificate for a massage too. But I was surprised to see a small discrete envelope in the room for tips for the therapist. I managed to scrape up the money in my purse but I hadn't expected that.

Thanks for the reminder--I should have thought about that on my own, but I would have probably forgotten and been caught unprepared. ;)

It went fine! When I arrived, the massage therapist greeted me at the door with a warm smile. She had the look and shape of...a mom. A mom something like me. She completely put me at ease, and I was very comfortable once the initial uncertainty wore off. I've gotta say, my favorite parts were the scalp massage, and the hand massage. Who knew?

Thanks for the advice, and for the reminder to bring a bit of cash for the tip. :001_smile: