Menu

About to own a house w/pool. Question for pool owners...

I don't know about pool care but I would like to ask that you make absolutely positive that the fence around it, hoping of course there is a fence, is checked for stability and reliability. My aunt didn't know that one of the boards was loose on her pool fence and the next door toddler got in.. and well... it was tragic. They had the entire fence replaced with a chain length fence but still worried that a kid might climb over it.

I found that I couldn't go to the pool store without spending at least $50 on chemicals a month. Then I found a pool service that did ONLY chemicals for $40ish a month (started at 38 and is 42 now). I hired them and think it was the best thing we ever did. Sure, I don't really need the chemicals in the winter months, but it evened out in cost without the headache of taking care of it.

If it's not salt water - consider switching at some point, it's cheaper in the long run.

Start hanging out at THE Pool Forum - awesome help!!!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/pools/

And, consider doing the BBB method - bleach, borax and baking soda. Cheaper than going to the pool store!

Most of all enjoy it.

We never found it took a ton of time, just take the time to check the chemicals and stay on top of it.

I don't know about pool care but I would like to ask that you make absolutely positive that the fence around it, hoping of course there is a fence, is checked for stability and reliability. My aunt didn't know that one of the boards was loose on her pool fence and the next door toddler got in.. and well... it was tragic. They had the entire fence replaced with a chain length fence but still worried that a kid might climb over it.

Yes, you're absolutely right. The first time we saw this house, our immediate response was, "We'll buy a pool enclosure of some sort immediately upon purchase." We have 5 kids, the oldest 4 of which are good swimmers. Our youngest, on the other hand, is only 2. We still haven't decided whether we're going to do wrought iron, aluminum, or those safety panels (mesh look, but supposedly very sturdy.) Thank you for the reminder!

If it's not salt water - consider switching at some point, it's cheaper in the long run.

Start hanging out at THE Pool Forum - awesome help!!!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/pools/

And, consider doing the BBB method - bleach, borax and baking soda. Cheaper than going to the pool store!

Most of all enjoy it.

We never found it took a ton of time, just take the time to check the chemicals and stay on top of it.

Yes, the BBB method sounds like a real money saver. I'm curious, why do you prefer salt water? My hubby asked the pool inspector yesterday about eventually converting our pool to salt water. The guy just about went ballistic. He said it was a really bad idea and salt was too corrosive and several areas of California have already forced homeowners to get rid of salt water pools, yadda yadda yadda. I don't know a thing about them, but he was adamant. Change my mind, please!

I found that I couldn't go to the pool store without spending at least $50 on chemicals a month. Then I found a pool service that did ONLY chemicals for $40ish a month (started at 38 and is 42 now). I hired them and think it was the best thing we ever did. Sure, I don't really need the chemicals in the winter months, but it evened out in cost without the headache of taking care of it.

When you say "only chemicals", what else does a pool company do other than chemicals? This sounds like a good option. Did they come weekly, twice a month, once a month?

Yes, the BBB method sounds like a real money saver. I'm curious, why do you prefer salt water? My hubby asked the pool inspector yesterday about eventually converting our pool to salt water. The guy just about went ballistic. He said it was a really bad idea and salt was too corrosive and several areas of California have already forced homeowners to get rid of salt water pools, yadda yadda yadda. I don't know a thing about them, but he was adamant. Change my mind, please!

I don't like swimming in salt water. I grew up swimming in fresh water lakes, so I'd rather not have salt water in my pool.

No chlorine irriatation and a variety of other reasons - chief that you aren't a slave to chemicals. It's been awhile since i was hanging out at the pool forum - at that point i never heard of them not being allowed.

They will give you the deal over at the pool forum.

I don't like swimming in salt water. I grew up swimming in fresh water lakes, so I'd rather not have salt water in my pool.

It's not like swimming in the ocean at all - you can't tell, other than the water is "softer". I think its about the same salinity as the human body, but don't quote me on that.

Hire a pool service.

I had a pool growing up in Connecticut and it was the law that you had to have a fence (certain height, etc) and gate with a secure lock on your pool.

My brother has a gated pool plus a cover that sounds an alarm (loud!) if anything/anyone should fall in pool.

I had a pool growing up in Connecticut and it was the law that you had to have a fence (certain height, etc) and gate with a secure lock on your pool.

Here, I'm pretty sure we have to have a fence around the pool, but if it's around the yard, it counts. I think that's unfortunate that it's not required to be around the pool itself. I know a family with an inground pool, who put up a fence around the yard, and they figure that's enough. With young children, I'd be so nervous just to have the kids in the back yard. (they have very young children too)

We wouldnt have anything but a salt water pool. It is so easy to maintain and it does not make eyes red or upset dd's eczema. In fact, her eczema improves during swimming season. But, if she goes to a "regular" pool, her eyes get red and her eczema flares back up.

Salt water is softer and feels wonderful for starters. The pool guy is probably not a distributor for salt water generators. He probably also knows that stores like Lowes carries the salt a whole lot cheaper than pool stores.

If it is an inground pool with a liner, get the bottom checked. We just sunk an amazing amount into our pool because the bottom was not vermiculite, just dirt. The liner failed because the dirt settled over time and the liner couldnt. It was a mess. It is great now - major bucks later though.

FENCE!!!!! We have a privacy fence around the yard. But, we also have a pool fence that blocks the pool from the yard. Make sure your pool fence is climb proof. You want vertical bars and tall enough that no one could get over it easily. A child safety, or 2 step latch, is important too.

The local pool store should be able to talk to you about testing chemicals, getting test kits, etc., etc., etc....

Enjoy!!!

What is a 2 step latch? We're going to put a second latch on our pool gate because dd5 knows how to unlatch it now. We have an above ground pool with a deck built around part of it, with a gate at the bottom of the steps. The existing latch/lock is a hook & eye lock. We're adding a door chain like this:

b1c58e66-db75-4d20-be11-c1ed0f0c0078_100.jpg

It'll be a little lower on the inside of the gate, so you'd have to reach down lower to get it. Dh also bought a color that will blend with the color of the gate.

I have a question about pool decks, but I'll start a new thread for that.

What is a 2 step latch? We're going to put a second latch on our pool gate because dd5 knows how to unlatch it now. We have an above ground pool with a deck built around part of it, with a gate at the bottom of the steps. The existing latch/lock is a hook & eye lock. We're adding a door chain like this:

b1c58e66-db75-4d20-be11-c1ed0f0c0078_100.jpg

It'll be a little lower on the inside of the gate, so you'd have to reach down lower to get it. Dh also bought a color that will blend with the color of the gate.

I have a question about pool decks, but I'll start a new thread for that.

2-step is going to be something like, "pull this, and push" - something that littles aren't likely to be able to do.

This looks interesting - not sure if it passes code here or not though:

http://www.magnalatch.net/

This is an interesting BLOG post on the topic with lots of links!

http://blog.fencemax.com/fence-law/does-my-pool-gate-latch-need-to-be-mounted-on-the-inside-of-the-fence/

How much time do you have to invest each week/month to properly maintain a pool? Where do I learn how to take care of it? I'm clueless, and a little apprehensive about how much time it might take.

We just put an above ground pool up so I am really new to this. At this point I would say it is taking us about 30-45 min a day total to maintain. We cover it every night after skimming off any leaves etc that have fallen into it and about every 2 or 3 evening we go over it with the bottom skimmer. Then you have to take the cover off in the morning.

I have to say at this point it has been well worth every second of time spent. My two are having a blast with it.

We do have it very well secured and that is VERY important. It is inside two fences and in the back where it isn't seen from the street.

Hope you enjoy.

We weren't owners but our house in Florida where we lived until December had a inground pool. WE had an automatic pool cleaner that vacuumed up leaves, bugs, etc. That was great. We also had a pool service. He took care of everything- the chemicals, the vacuum, checking the water levels, the pumps, etc. When something was wrong, he told us and the landlord and arranged for it to be fixed. I wouldn't have known that there was a problem. I decided then that when we retire and have a house with a pool (dh's preference), we will have pool service. The only things we did was occasionally fill uo the water if it had been particularly dry and hot, and also clear out the vacuum if it was full early or the large palm fronds that fell in after a storm.

When you say "only chemicals", what else does a pool company do other than chemicals? This sounds like a good option. Did they come weekly, twice a month, once a month?

Some pool companies vacuum the pool in addition to the chemicals. That usually costs quite a bit more. Our pool is screened in, so didn't need much vacuuming. They came weekly for chemicals.