Menu

Newly pierced infected ear

My dd got her ears pierced last week. One ear is infected. We've done everything we should have been. Claire's says to remove it and so does the doctor. Right now it's red, tender and a bit swollen. The earring is not embedded; I'd guess it's swollen but not to the point to remove it, so I don't think I need to take it out yet. I'm watching it closely, putting neosporin around it and antiseptic as we're supposed to. Personally, I'm going to really watch it; give it a day or two as I'd like to save the piercing. I'm not stupid as to put my dd at risk, but I'm also not going to give up on it so quickly.

Has anyone "saved" a piercing and had it come out okay? And if I remove the earring, has anyone removed one, so if we repierce, we only have to repierce one ear?

Any remedy that has worked for you?

I would take the earring out, soak it in rubbing alcohol, squeeze all the pus out of the ear (yeah, ewwww...but it helps), swab the ear off with alcohol - it'll sting!, dry the earring on a clean towel, dip the post in neosporin, and replace the earring. Continue with the regular cleaning, and repeat the "deep cleaning" once or twice a day (depending on how badly the ear is infected). I've done this with my dd, and everything turned out fine. If you have it, you could also try swabbing with tea tree essential oil, or lavender essential oil.

Just be careful when replacing the earring. Piercing earrings have a groove/locking thingy on the post to help prevent the earring from getting too tight or the back coming off. It can be hard to get the back on and off, but it can be done. Just don't put it on past the groove because then the earring can be too tight and you've got embedding.

While I've never dealt with repiercing, my dd has friends who have had to do that, and it turns out fine if you choose to go that route.

HTH

This is what I have done. It'll hurt though! If your dd is not ready for that kind of .....intensity, let it close and start again. I think you would have to pay for a repiercing unless you work something out with Claire's.

My ear piercings (I have 7) get infected from time to time. Shawna's method works to clear these up.

I would take the earring out, soak it in rubbing alcohol, squeeze all the pus out of the ear (yeah, ewwww...but it helps), swab the ear off with alcohol - it'll sting!, dry the earring on a clean towel, dip the post in neosporin, and replace the earring. Continue with the regular cleaning, and repeat the "deep cleaning" once or twice a day (depending on how badly the ear is infected). I've done this with my dd, and everything turned out fine. If you have it, you could also try swabbing with tea tree essential oil, or lavender essential oil.

Ok, that sounds good too ;) Although it will probably hurt when you take it off & put it on, because you have to get the back off that groove like jsmehaffy said.

While I've never dealt with repiercing, my dd has friends who have had to do that, and it turns out fine if you choose to go that route.

I've had mine repierced, but it was years and years later because I stopped wearing my earrings, and the holes eventually grew back together. But I'm not exactly sure what your question was about that--was it if you have to get it repierced now, or later, or whether they'll do just one, or what?

We had the same problem with dd's ears last year.

At first I was swabbing them with alcohol and using Neosporin. It didn't help. Finally I read somewhere to take a small amount of sea salt and swab the ear 3-4 times per day, but not to use too much because that would encourage infection. I also dabbed Bacitracin on after letting the sea salt air dry. It didn't work over night, but after about two or three days things calmed down. To mix the sea salt, I used a one-cup glass measuring cup and about half a teaspoon of sea salt. Also, I used hot water, not warm, and just let the cotton ball cool off for a few seconds before I put it on the ear.

She hasn't had a problem since, and that was several months ago.

Oh, and we also switched the earrings from the original ones to very small gold hoops that didn't have backs but clicked shut. It definitely helped not to have a backing right up against the ear.

Do you think the earring is just too tight? With my second daughter, the first time we pierced her ears, they both infected badly! Several times. Finally I just said to remove the earrings. Three years later she was ready to try again. They both got very red and swollen and I thought the ears were getting infected again. I lossened the earring back and within 12 hours all the redness and swelling were gone. The backs were on too tight! This was about 5 years ago so I don't remember all the actual times, but we were both relieved that the problem was gone.

Linda

This happened to one of my DD's shortly after getting her ears pierced. It was just one ear, I noticed one day that is was red and very swollen. It wasn't swollen around the earring, but the swelling seemed to be lower, almost making her ear appear to be a lot longer.

I usually use peroxide (that stuff will fix just about anything!), but my sister told me to use Bactine. She has A LOT of piercings and that's what she uses. We never took the earring out, just kept a close eye on it and applied Bactine to it several times a day. I used a Q-Tip to get it into the hole. It went away in a few days and has been fine since.

After some Googling, these are the directions that are the closest to what our piercer recommended. I also did a lot of research, called a lot of professional piercers and asked a lot of questions. This information is very consistant with what I was told time and again. We did not us a boutique, we used a piercer so the information is different than what you may have been told by the boutique.

Professional piercers see a piercing as a medical procedure and thier careers are based on how well wounds heal.

http://tattoo.about.com/cs/beginners/l/blpiercingtlc.htm

Here is another two http://www.silverflake.com/infopiercingaftercare.html http://www.gees2tattoos.com/piercing-aftercare/

We did sea salt soaks twice a day for the first few weeks. We used little metal measuring cups, as the handles made it easy to hold them up to the ears. We put towels on her shoulders for any drips.

PS I am not having to look hard for these sites, just looking for the information coming from reputable sites, and not peoples personal blogs.

I also hope they advised you to skip all baths and pools (no head held under water) for the first 12 weeks.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

After some Googling, these are the directions that are the closest to what our piercer recommended. I also did a lot of research, called a lot of professional piercers and asked a lot of questions. This information is very consistant with what I was told time and again. We did not us a boutique, we used a piercer so the information is different than what you may have been told by the boutique.

Professional piercers see a piercing as a medical procedure and thier careers are based on how well wounds heal.

http://tattoo.about.com/cs/beginners/l/blpiercingtlc.htm

Here is another http://www.silverflake.com/infopiercingaftercare.html

We did sea salt soaks several times a day for the first few weeks. We used little metal measuring cups, as the handles made it easy to hold them up to the ears. We put towels on her shoulders for any drips.

I also hope they advised you to skip all baths and pools (no head held under water) for the first 12 weeks.

Non-iodized salt water was what was recommended when I had my nose pierced earlier this month. I just made a little jar of it and used a cotton swab to dab around it (pushing the stud up a bit to get it into the hole) a few times a day. Then, I used some comfrey salve to encourage healing (do not use comfrey with an active infection). It was never even red.

She has no puss in her ear at all (yet). What we do is completely dip the ear in the antiseptic solution then put neosporin on it.

Except my dh's b-day is tomorrow and adamant about going to the lake. I'm sure we'll lose this over lake water, but I'm bringing the stuff for her ears anyway.

I've seen the sea salt soaks online, but you never know, KWIM?

She has no puss in her ear at all (yet). What we do is completely dip the ear in the antiseptic solution then put neosporin on it.

Except my dh's b-day is tomorrow and adamant about going to the lake. I'm sure we'll lose this over lake water, but I'm bringing the stuff for her ears anyway.

You said this is a new piercing...how new?

I wouldn't let her swim unless you are done with the piercing and don't mind going to the doctor for a raging infection.

There are copious amounts of bacteria and parasites there just waiting for a willing host! An open wound that is already infected is a welcome mat infront of a warm, moist, dark confined area.

Look at the professional piercers sites....they are the ones who recommend the sea salt. They aren't trying to sell you anything. They know their business. Everyone I looked at gave the same advice, no ointments, no boutique solutions....only a light wash with antibacterial soap, clean hands only and sea salt water.

You said this is a new piercing...how new?

I wouldn't let her swim unless you are done with the piercing and don't mind going to the doctor for a raging infection.

There are copious amounts of bacteria and parasites there just waiting for a willing host! An open wound that is already infected is a welcome mat infront of a warm, moist, dark confined area.

She got them pierced last wednesday.

I know this lake trip will do it in. But tell that to DH.

She got them pierced last wednesday.

I know this lake trip will do it in. But tell that to DH.

Does he realize that his daughter will be the one who gets sick from it and it can cause major problems, including nasty scars that can make it so that she can never wear earrings? Did you know you were going to the lake before she got the pierced? Can't she go and just not swim? Why does she have to get in the water?

Okay, sorry. Piercings is one of my soap box subjects. Ill get down now.

Please, before you get it repierced at the same place....go into a real piercing studio and talk to a real piercer. They are usually very nice and are more than willing to share their vast knowledge with you.

Does he realize that his daughter will be the one who gets sick from it and it can cause major problems, including nasty scars that can make it so that she can never wear earrings? Did you know you were going to the lake before she got the pierced? Can't she go and just not swim? Why does she have to get in the water?

Okay, sorry. Piercings is one of my soap box subjects. Ill get down now.

Please, before you get it repierced at the same place....go into a real piercing studio and talk to a real piercer. They are usually very nice and are more than willing to share their vast knowledge with you.

I completely agree with you. No we did not know about the piercings and the lake trip. My dh's b-day is tomorrow. Maybe I can talk her out of getting wet.

Who would be a real piercing studio?

I completely agree with you. No we did not know about the piercings and the lake trip. My dh's b-day is tomorrow. Maybe I can talk her out of getting wet.

Who would be a real piercing studio?

A piercing studio is often in with a tattoo parlor. They are not in the mall, they will not use a gun. They are different because they will use a single use, hollow sterile needle to pierce the ear. This method cuts a tiny round hole, instead of forcing a stud through the ear. If you are uncertain of going to a tattoo parlor, you can call and talk to them first, and ask when is the 'mellowist' time to come in :D

Some professional piercers will pierce children, some will not. Just ask, they will be upfront with you about their reasons and comfort level.

A piercing studio is often in with a tattoo parlor. They are not in the mall, they will not use a gun. They are different because they will use a single use, hollow sterile needle to pierce the ear. This method cuts a tiny round hole, instead of forcing a stud through the ear. If you are uncertain of going to a tattoo parlor, you can call and talk to them first, and ask when is the 'mellowist' time to come in :D

Some professional piercers will pierce children, some will not. Just ask, they will be upfront with you about their reasons and comfort level.

Thanks.

I had no idea that you can't swim or anything. It's summer. I don't know what we're going to do. Ah....summer in Arizona! She's supposed to have swimming lessons the first week of July. Can we constantly slather her up with Neosporin?

Thanks.

I had no idea that you can't swim or anything. It's summer. I don't know what we're going to do. Ah....summer in Arizona! She's supposed to have swimming lessons the first week of July. Can we constantly slather her up with Neosporin?

According to all the piercing websites you are not supposed to use Neosporin.

Didn't they tell you about the no swimming before getting them pierced? This should be on your instruction sheet if nothing else. Again...a reason why to. go. to a piercing studio next time.

According to all the piercing websites you are not supposed to use Neosporin.

Didn't they tell you about the no swimming before getting them pierced? This should be on your instruction sheet if nothing else. Again...a reason why to. go. to a piercing studio next time.

It says "after shampooing, swimming, exercising, hot tubs, saunas, cleanse your ears with Claire's Ear Care Antiseptic." :001_unsure:

Ugh, double ugh.

Edited by alilac

It says "after shampooing, swimming, exercising, hot tubs, saunas, cleanse your ears with Claire's Ear Care Antiseptic." :001_unsure:

Ugh, double ugh.

UUUUUUUUUGGGGh. :confused: Why do they do that? I read that online too. I can't believe they recommend that now. Well, I guess that type of information is why they get so many infected customers. Sorry, you and your daughter are going through this! It stinks!

UUUUUUUUUGGGGh. :confused: Why do they do that? I read that online too. I can't believe they recommend that now. Well, I guess that type of information is why they get so many infected customers. Sorry, you and your daughter are going through this! It stinks!

First I talked to everyone and where to get them pierced. "Don't go to the doctor because they don't do them often and they tend to be off center and uneven." Everybody said, "Go to Claires!" And it's only after that I now have not found one adult's child who's ears have NOT got infected. Grrrrrrrr I'm really annoyed over this. I got mine pierced by a doctor when I was 12 and used alcohol. Never had a problem. This is all my dd has ever wanted and it's turned out to be a disaster.

You have been sooooo very helpful. Thank you very much.

Ann

We took them out. I'm pretty ticked. :rant: The earrings were way too tight. They were past the click and not in the notch but past both notches. Even thinking they were too tight I pulled the bad ear earring backing out and it clicked. That was yesterday. This morning I waited for some results from that tight backing. But after removing it completely I found it was still past the notch. But there was no way you could tell whether it was exactly where it was supposed to be. I just couldn't see it even though I constantly checked it. The earring back was soooo tight on the post (stick portion) itself as well, that they were hard to remove even without a notch. And the earring itself tapered to the stick section so it would easily embed itself. After seeing this, the earring should have a larger smooth base, not one that tapers into the piercing.

First, you'd think if a "machine" did it it would be properly done. Second, you'd think they'd check it to make sure the backing is in the right place. Even now that the earrings are out I could hardly move these backs onto the post itself. :cursing:

I am soooo bummed for her. She was religous about taking care of them.

So how long do you have to wait for a repierce...obviously not at Claire's?

No. She's not allergic to any metals. It was for the sole reason they were too tight and I'm ticked that I couldn't see that to tell, not to mention they were very hard to move. After I saw they were too tight, I felt like sticking them back in. :001_huh:

If you have a piercing place near by, I would call them tomorrow and tell them what your dd's situation is. You may be able to go by and ask their opinion on what to do from here. I doubt the holes are salvageable but you may call to see if there are any options.

I don't know where you need to go from here, but I would wait 6 weeks at least to get them repierced. When you do decide to do it again, put some time into research. Call around and find a place you are comfortable with, and that is comfortable with you.

This was our experience:

When dd got hers done, they put in hoops that were a little thicker that you would expect. They were solid except for a little gap in the back, and that they capped with a little ball, then they were completely smooth. I had heard of problems like yours due to gun piercings, like the backs become dislodged and get on too tight, which lead to bad complications, among other things. The ridges that hold the backs on, harbor bacteria, and the butterfly style backs are really bad (most use a bell shape now anyways). The metals in the studs aren't always good quality (some people react just the metal), hers were either Titanium or surgical quality steel (I don't remember now). The person who pierced dd, also took her age into consideration in regards to the picking of the placement of the holes. I guess our ear lobes grow from the top down, so if the holes are placed in the center when someone is a child, it will result in too low of a hole when they are an adult, making rips easier. That is why you want a piercer who is used to piercing children.

I called at least 6-8 places before I settled on one. I asked each person the same questions (a long list...) and then picked two that that I felt comfortable with and that would do children. I checked them both out, and chose a piercer that I felt very, very comfortable with. One thing that I liked about the piercer I chose, was that they interviewed her before they would agree to do the piercing. They wanted to make sure she really understood what she was doing, that it was for her and no one else, and that she understood that it was intended to be permanent. They really respected her, and treated the piercing as an important decision. Most places had one particular person who did children, but each had personal preferences for age and location requirements.

You are having minor surgery performed on your child, with permanent scars being left on purpose. It is important to treat it as such!

Dd's friend got her ears done the same week as dd, went to Claire's (specifically because it was cheaper), got infected and had to let her holes close up. They took impeccable care of them. DD never had a even a second of red skin on her ears, and only used the salt water method. I am certain there are a lot of happy Claire's (or similar boutique) customers, but I don't know a single person who hasn't had some problem with infections after going there. I have encouraged many people to go with professional piercers since then, and not one of them has had a problem.

I hope that you have a better experience next time!

Thanks Tap, tap, tap:

I had a bell backing on mine when I got my ears pierced as well. I'm sure this is why there are so many infections is because of the butterfly backing. I'm devastated for her, but she seems okay with it this morning. Her ear is better already. I will definitely research. I had no idea and asked where people got their ears peirced and where else you could go and I only heard of Claires and the doctors. Maybe I should have asked here! At least I know what to look for this time. Interesting info you gave about the lobes, children and such.

Thanks for your help on this Lonnnnnng thread. :)