Menu

Has anyone used the History Through the Ages Timeline Book?

I keep putting off making a timeline, but dd (just starting 6th grade) really wants one. So.....

I have the History through the Ages timeline figures to print out already and the original plan was to make a hallway timeline. Then, realized that dd#2 will probably want to do this herself... as will ds when his time comes - so now I want a book/binder style timeline.

So - has anyone used the timeline book from History Through the Ages (actually used it, not just ordered it and left it to sit on the shelf? LOL)? It looks beautiful - but I'm having trouble convincing my frugal minded self that it's worth spending the $40 for, as opposed to having dd make her own timeline pages for her book herself... (which would be fine, but I really want to get this ball rolling so it doesn't lag on for months and months before we even get it started! LOL)

http://homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/RecordofTime.htm

I just purchased the CD set for the pages and all the timeline figures. I'm excited and plan on using starting sometime within the next couple of weeks as our ancients end of year review.

I regret not getting the binder while at convention, but might just order if from their website. It really does look lovely!! My son is going into 2nd grade and I plan on having my other children start their own around the same age. For the time being, my ds7 seems to be excited about it.

Liz in NC

(liking the timeline, but haven't actually used it yet!!)

• 3 years later...

We love it here! I take photos of the kids' projects/co-ops and put them in for each time period too.

those that use this book, could you tell me are the pages all spaced evenly or do the time periods on each spread shorten as you move ahead in history?

The time periods shorten. :)

I look at it online and I decided to go with a free download to printout myself. I used the one on guest hollow.com. It is nice and simple. It does has the periods labeled, ie ancient times, medieval times. Also the time line get shorter as it gets closer to the present. I am excited to start using it this year. It even has a blank page to print out . I really like the idea of adding pages if we need it.

I have 3 and couldn't convince myself to spend $120 for timeline books. I bought the History through the Ages CD, printed the figures on sticker paper, and made the timeline pages on cardstock using Publisher. I used a fancy font and figured out the spacing of dates using the Suggested Placement Guide.

This will be our 4th year with this method and they all enjoy this part of our history work.

This was my cheapskate solution:

The shipping for the books is actually relatively expensive, whereas just shipping CDs is pretty cheap. I ended up getting the HTTA Record of Time printable timeline notebook CD which also includes the suggested placement guide. I bought nice binders (the D ring kind) for each girl--one wanted black and one wanted navy. You can print nice covers and side bars from the CD that slide into the nice binders that have plastic covers. I really like that if you have the CD, you can print the pages vertically or horizontally. Regular binders fit on shelves better, so I just print the pages vertically. I printed them on cardstock (but not too thick). This is working well for us, and especially if you're going to do this for more than one child, this will save some money.