Menu

Is the Schoolhouse Planner worth the $$$?

I bought this planner and I HATE it! I used up an entire printer cartridge printing it out. They tried to cram way too much stuff into it. To me, it had the feel of, "we don't have enough quality so we will dazzle them with quantity". Included were:

address book pages

menu planner, shopping list pages, prayer list pages, etc.

various lists including states and capitals, elements, planets, articles of confederation, preamble to the constitution, copy of the constitution, etc. After awhile it got absolutely ridiculous!

I bought it at half-price or some reduced rate. HATE IT!! Can't say enough bad about it. Poorly laid out and there was just SO MUCH IN IT that organizing all of what I did NOT want took so long that I just chucked it on the shelf......where it remains to this day.

I bought this planner and I HATE it! I used up an entire printer cartridge printing it out. They tried to cram way too much stuff into it. To me, it had the feel of, "we don't have enough quality so we will dazzle them with quantity". Included were:

address book pages

menu planner, shopping list pages, prayer list pages, etc.

various lists including states and capitals, elements, planets, articles of confederation, preamble to the constitution, copy of the constitution, etc. After awhile it got absolutely ridiculous!

I bought it at half-price or some reduced rate. HATE IT!! Can't say enough bad about it. Poorly laid out and there was just SO MUCH IN IT that organizing all of what I did NOT want took so long that I just chucked it on the shelf......where it remains to this day.

Thank you! I worried that this would be the case for me.

I just bought The Well Planned Day

I don't have it yet, someone had mentioned it from the K-8 board and I just couldn't help myself:tongue_smilie:

Wow! This planner looks as if someone has put a lot of thought and design into it. (I am an organizational addict: :D in theory if not exactly in practice, anyway.) This seems like a nice family business to support at any rate.

I had last year's and liked it, but there was too much filler in it that upped the page count without really adding value. For example, the Constitution took up quite a few pages, but I don't need a copy of that and other readily accessible documents in my planner.

I made my own using Publisher (came with my operating system)....you could do the same with almost any graphics type program that you use.....probably even Word to some degree.

Of course, mine is just calendar pages and lesson plan pages....I figure all that other stuff belongs elsewhere for me. My address book is on the computer, the kids growth charts are on their bedroom doors, lol.....birthdays go into my calendar pages (and on my pop up reminders on my computer)......and the other stuff, well, it just doesn't need to be there for me, so the few that I need are where they belong, lol.

You can get blank calendars free from many many places, just google for what you want....single page, double page, week, month, daily. Then you can decorate them or not as you see fit. I loved the look of that Well Planned Day, but I just know that all that pretty stuff will eventually be written upon because the space for what I use a planner, i.e. the planning, is just not large enough for me. I use graphics from PCCrafter/Hugware or just googles to fancy mine up, but it's in the borders not so much across the writing area.

And as for printing it.....if you have a color printer that is pretty expensive to use and want your calendar in color....consider taking your finished project to a print shop. I have done that for projects where the colored area is quite heavy....it costs .49 a page, so a two page monthly spread would be 24 pages or about $12. And they do it on the heavy ink jet paper so there is no bleed through. That's almost as much as the prepurchase price for that planner, but it's customized to your own needs. (Hint, before you rush out and have a whole year printed....do a month or two and actually use it, tweaking as you go along until it's everything you need.)