Menu

Have we had a "What are you reading?" thread lately?

For fun I'm reading The Secret Life of Bees and Lord of the Rings.

For school (graduate school), I'm reading four books that you don't want to know the titles of.

For school (homeschool), I'm reading The Magicians Nephew, Calico Captive, Whatever Happened to Justice?, America: The Last Best Hope, and Jane Eyre aloud.

I just finished the first book in the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (who is the guy finishing the Wheel of Time series)- and I am in utter and complete love. It's been a long time since I've been so excited about a book series OR an author. I adore him.

I've now ordered the complete set from amazon - and am anxiously awaiting for book #2 to be in at the library so I can check it on while I wait for my books to arrive!

(The library sent book 3 to me already and it's taking a lot of willpower to not read ahead. :D )

I just finished the first book in the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (who is the guy finishing the Wheel of Time series)- and I am in utter and complete love. It's been a long time since I've been so excited about a book series OR an author. I adore him.

I've now ordered the complete set from amazon - and am anxiously awaiting for book #2 to be in at the library so I can check it on while I wait for my books to arrive!

(The library sent book 3 to me already and it's taking a lot of willpower to not read ahead. :D )

Ooh. I have book one on my TBR shelf. I should move it up to the head of the queue--after I finish all these library books I keep borrowing. :P

I'm reading:

Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining and Bad Attitudes...in you and your kids! by Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller

Help for the Harried Homeschooler by Christine Field--So, I'm NOT harried (yet), but it does have many good tid-bits to chew on...

AND

the Rainbow Resource Catolog

I need to read "fluff" but then if the story is too interesting, I can't put it down and NOTHING get's done!

Ok, you have piqued my curiosity :D What's his writing style? Similar to Robert Jordan? Or can you compare him to another fantasy author? I love Robert Jordan and David Eddings because the bad language and s*x are close to nil. Is Sanderson in this category as well? Now I've gotta go see if our library has this! I might have to divert from my Wheel of Time path and see if I like the new author! Thanks!

Recently finished:

The Sparrow -- very well-written & interesting book; has some great discussion fodder, but it may not be for everyone....

Kabul Beauty School -- some interesting parts, but the writing style is not great (I'd give it a 3 or 3.5 out of 5)

Currently reading:

The Historian -- very well-written & I'm really enjoying it

The Thirteenth Tale -- intriguing & good so far

Recently finished:

The Sparrow -- very well-written & interesting book; has some great discussion fodder, but it may not be for everyone....

Kabul Beauty School -- some interesting parts, but the writing style is not great (I'd give it a 3 or 3.5 out of 5)

Currently reading:

The Historian -- very well-written & I'm really enjoying it

The Thirteenth Tale -- intriguing & good so far

I loved The Historian and listened to it with dd as an audiobook from the library. Amazing. you might also enjoy a book I read last week titled The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane absolutely terrific fun. I also loved Thirteenth Tale as it was a relatively quick read unlike the doorstop weight of The Historian . It really was terrific though and I must say fairly accurate as regards the everyday life of Hungary and Romaina.

http://www.physickbook.com/

For sheer geek bliss I cannot recommend the series by Cassandra Clare highly enough she writes great paranormal fantasy without the soft core p*rn element that seems to be ever presentin other series. FWIW I am no prude I simply find most of this type of writing , dark paranormal to be cliched and boring. Her world building is fairly unique and certainly theologically fascinating.

http://www.amazon.com/Bones-Mortal-Instruments-Cassandra-Clare/dp/1416955070

Has her writing style changed at all through the second book? I made it through the first book but it was too much like her fanfic for me to enjoy it. :tongue_smilie:

Ok, you have piqued my curiosity :D What's his writing style? Similar to Robert Jordan? Or can you compare him to another fantasy author? I love Robert Jordan and David Eddings because the bad language and s*x are close to nil. Is Sanderson in this category as well? Now I've gotta go see if our library has this! I might have to divert from my Wheel of Time path and see if I like the new author! Thanks!

mmmmm.... well.... First, let me say that I like Robert Jordan's WOT, but imho Jordan had a tendency to be redundant in a major way (describing how a character looks ten times in the same book, for example). I'm midway through the WOT series and had to take a break because of all the repetition & the slowness of plot development (I'm hoping I won't notice it as much when I'm not reading the books one right after the other... lol).

So - with that said - Sanderson's style is somewhat similar to Jordan's - but he doesn't repeat things nearly as often as Jordan did. He doesn't stretch things out nearly as long as Jordan did with the WOT books - he says he likes to "finish" things, so the Mistborn trilogy is only three books (as opposed to the WOT being what, 14 books by the time the last 3 are written?).

There are no sexual scenes or bad language (that I noticed, I'm trying to think... but, no... I don't think so). There are action scenes, with a few being slightly graphic (I have a weak stomach, and nothing was "too much" for me - I couldn't read the first chapter in Brisingr by Paolini, for example).

The book made me cry, which is quite a feat for a fantasy book to accomplish. ;) But, in a good way. From the get-go, I was completely enraptured with the storyline, the characters (so many likeable characters), the world the author has created, his style of writing... everything sucked me right in & I sat up late, late at night, not wanting to put the book down. :001_smile: I think it's hard to find a truly remarkable, charismatic female character in a fantasy novel - and this book has one. Her story arc is so compelling.

Another one you might enjoy, if you like fantasy novels, is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's not a completed series, yet, though (only book 1 is out so far) - but a very good read. Another book I bought after reading the library's copy... :D