Menu

Have we had a "What are you reading?" thread lately?

I haven't been around as much this year, so forgive me if I missed it. I know there's a thread for the reading challenge, but I was wondering what everyone else is reading. I'll start.

I'm reading Texts and Contexts: Writing About Literature with Critical Theory by Steven Lynn. I just started David Copperfield. What are you reading?

On my own I'm reading The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. I was reading a book on the Great Depression in Canada before and so this one seemed like a natural next read.

I'm reading Metamorphoses by Ovid with the kids. I'm including it because I don't think I've ever enjoyed a read aloud so much and if anybody decides to read it make sure you read aloud and not to yourself! It makes a huge difference.

I had to stop reading it because my daughter is off to my parents for two weeks and it's just about killing me. I keep reaching for it before I remember I have to wait because my daughter loves it as much as I do. :)

I just finished An American Haunting: The Bell Witch by Brent Monahan. I was sorely disappointed. While the story is good, the author swears up and down in his note to the reader at the beginning that this whole work is from a sealed document a friend of a friend found. When I got to the end, I knew it couldn't be true. It deals with multiple personality disorder, and the supposed person who wrote this document in the 1800's is surprised at his wife's racism towards the slaves. Hmmmmm.....in 1800's Tennessee. That's surprising to him? The story itself was interesting, though it dragged in many places. I just felt really betrayed by the author for lying to me. I felt the same way after reading Amy Tan's Saving Fish From Drowning. She swears in her reader's note that she got the story from a psychic who communicates with the dead who wanted her to tell this tale. If you read the interview with her at the end, you find out she made the whole thing up.

My next book is Garden Spells since many people here have read it and had positive things to say about it.

Wicked is awesome, for the poster who was asking. I've read it a couple of times. The author has a unique writing style, and it can take awhile to get used to it. It's a fairly dark book. All of his books are good except for Lost.

Wow. You guys are ambitious! I tried to join the 52 books club, but it was too fast for me. Just too much going on to make sure I get done with a book in a week, but now that summer is here I'm speeding up.

I finished Redeeming Love. Eh. It was okay.

Now into The Red Tent. Again, eh. It's not grabbing me yet.

On my list for summer is:

The Other Boleyn Girl

When We Were Gods

The Good Men

People of the Book

Thirteenth Tale

Outlander

I like historical fiction in case you couldn't tell.;)

Just finished 5 Love Languages of a Teenager by Gary Smalley - loved it.

That one shed a lot of light for me!

I'm finishing The 5,000-Year-Leap. I haven't decided what to pick up next, but I'm in the early stages of my US history self-education so it will almost certainly be related to our founding. I will also likely start The Grapes of Wrath with ds16.

I'm also reading Johnny Tremain with the little ones.

I just finished reading (within the past two weeks) Carry On, Mr. Bowditch (and have another book about him requested from the library), Up a Road Slowly, and Bound for Oregon. I am about half-way through Streams to the River, River to the Sea and The Intellectual Life.

I am a sequential person, and like to read just one book at a time, but I have gotten myself stuck in three different books at the same time! Anyway, it's more like "what's on the nightstand," as MFS used to say...

Caribbean by James Michener

Triathalon Made Easy by Zoe McDonald

Why Beauty Matters by Karen Lee-Thorpe

Caribbean is a chunkster, a dramatic history that is not a fast read. I have Les Mis in queue after that, as well as Moby Dick, The Merry Wives of Windsor (Shakespeare), an Edgar Allen Poe anthology and Queen Bees & Wanna-bes.

I also just finished a couple of Clive Cussler novels (wow, he is such a chauvinist, but I do enjoy his plots!) and two by Teri Blackstock (Line of Duty and Double Minds).

Eclectic, aye?!! I am trying to catch up on that 999 reading challenge, so I've got 'em lined up and ready to go! Now if the kids would just quit needing to eat and wear clean clothes, and not have to be driven places, I might actually get through my stack....

I'm reading David McCullough's Truman, as well as Wicked.

Wicked is pretty good :)

With the kids: A Tale of Two Cities

Me: Eat to Live, Candide - Voltaire, Oxford Illustrated History of the Bible

Love love love Tale of Two Cities

I just finished all of the books I was reading.

Farenheit 451 - :D great book.

Catcher in the Rye - :glare: Okay, I don't get all the fuss. Did.not.like.it.

The Broken Window - :001_huh: POSSIBLE SPOILER Lincoln Ryme story, not one of my favs. I don't like who dunnits where the culprit is someone no one really discussed. IOW, you CAN'T figure out who dunnit, because it's from so far out in left field.

Moving on to:

The Grapes of Wrath

To Kill a Mockingbird (with dd)

Holes (with ds)

Crime and Punishment (with the book club on here :tongue_smilie:)

Another TBA, by my red hat book club

I just finished reading (within the past two weeks) Carry On, Mr. Bowditch (and have another book about him requested from the library), Up a Road Slowly, and Bound for Oregon. I am about half-way through Streams to the River, River to the Sea and The Intellectual Life.

We read Carry On, Mr. Bowditch earlier this year as a part of our LA curriculum. I loved it!! He was an amazing man! I had never even heard of him before reading that book. I'm so glad I got to learn a little about the man and his life. :)

I'm rereading Atlas Shrugged. I read it 10 or so years ago. It's way more intense this time around, though I still think it could have benefited from more editing.

I paused in my quest to finish Don Quixote to start this. I'm choosing some terribly long books for someone who gets about 35 minutes of (my own) reading time a night. So much for coming close to the 52 book challenge! :)

I just finished reading The Snow Queen by Mercedes Lackey, and now I'm reading Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and S*x by Mary Roach. The latter I heard about on an NPR interview, and it's proving quite an amusing read. Next on the reading shelf is Stephen King's On Writing, The Thrall's Tale by Judith Lindbergh, and The Crown of Silence by Storm Constantine.

Edited by Ravin

I was eying Wicked at the book store. How is that so far?

Well, it hasn't grabbed me as much as I expected it to. We love the soundtrack here, even though we've never seen the musical, so I think I keep trying to picture where the songs work in too much. :)

OTOH, it could be simply because I'm loving Truman so much more than I expected to. It's intimidating in size but oh, what a treasure!

Two other good books I read lately - 1491 and 1421. I felt like I was on a number kick!

Just finished Fahrenheit 451 and moved on to The Abolition of Man.

I have several I still working on:

English Literature for Boys and Girls

Climbing Parnasus

Famous Books Ancient and Medieval Outlines of 108 Great Works That Have Shaped Modern Civilization (looonnngg title!:001_smile:)

I also just started How to Read a Book

We're nearly finished with The Penderwicks for the girls.They are really enjoying this, which is a good thing since we're reading The Penderwicks on Gardam Street next.

Reading aloud:

Anne of Green Gables, again :)

Of Courage Undaunted (Daugherty), for school

Kidnapped (RL Stevenson), for book club

for myself...

just finished:

Welcome to the Lizard Motel (great topic, didn't appreciate the execution)

Emma-Jean Lazarus Fell Out of the Tree (middle-school angst; protagonist is a combo of Nancy Drew and ST:TNG's Data)

Re-reading:

The Hobbit

perusing:

The Friendly Dickens (Norrie Epstein)

pre-reading:

The Dancing Shoes, (Noel Streatfeild)

Oh, we are loving Anne of Green Gables. We're reading this for school (along with Robinson Crusoe) and my dd (12) just loves the character of Anne. I think she sees herself in her. My dd is a real romantic drama queen! We love the movie too!:001_smile:

P.S. We haven't read Dancing Shoes but the girls loved Ballet Shoes. Just to share with you, Netflix has a really cute movie for Ballet Shoes.

I have a stack:

• The Appeal by John Grisham. Good summer page turner.
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs
  • Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling by John Taylor Gatto
  • Amusing Ourselves To Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business by Neil Postman
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes...in You and Your Kids by Scott Turansky
    Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller

I just finished a fascinating book called A Voyage Long and Strange by Tony Horwitz. It's about the exploration and settlement of the New World. Eye-opening, to say the least.

Now I'm reading a book I found in the children's section of the library. It's called Written in Bone: Buried Lives of Jamestown and Colonial Maryland. And ds and I are reading together The Good Fight by Stephen Ambrose. I also just finished reading Surviving Hitler; ds will read it next.

Next up is Sailing from Byzantium: how a lost Empire shaped the world.

Wendi

Great thread! You all are giving me great ideas for my next stack.

Last summer I read "The Road" by Cormack McCarthy --- AACK!!!! :eek: My husband just insisted that I read it, and I had nightmares for days. I had to finish it because he assured me that the end would "make things better" I just wonder HOW they are going to get that movie onto the screen without an NC-17 for gruesomeness....and I can't stand gore! It's not slasher gore, but that kind of horrible creepiness that sticks in your mind for years and years and years.... I don't care if everyone and their brother is praising it as a "Dark, Lyrical Meditation on Love's Dedication" (as one eloquent Amazon reviewer titled his post). It's a scary-larry book.

"The Dragon Reborn" by Robert Jordan. Actually, I'm rereading all of the Wheel of Time series in preparation for the new book being released in November. I've already read the prequel and books 1 & 2. I've been waiting for them to pick an author to finish the series since Robert Jordan. I hope the new author does it justice.

I had hopes of reading "Abraham Lincoln's World" to the girls this summer, but right now we are enjoying break way too much to do any of that!:D

The Legacy of Jihad: Islamic Holy War and the Fate of Non-Muslims, by Andrew Bostom, MD, 759 pages. This book is a compendium of quotes from Muslim writers and scholars from the last 1200 years or so to the present.

I didn't quite finish it prior to the library due date, so I have returned to complete the final 100 pages of the Iliad. When the Bostom book is available again, I look forward to completing it.

I just finished The Piano Teacher by Janice Lee. It's set in Hong Kong both in the occupation of Hong Kong by the Japnese and then years later. I really enjoyed it.

I'm reading The Last of her Kind by Sigrid Nunez for my book club. I haven't read enough of it yet to form an opinion.

John Adams by David McCullough and the autobiography of U.S. Grant. Boy, talk about two different men and two completely different writing styles. The U.S. Grant one is fascinating, since I have absolutely no knowlege of the Mexican-American War, or basically any 19th Century history besides the fact that the Civil War was in there somewhere.

I just finished listening to The Road by Cormac Mccarthy and it is one of the best books on audio I have had the pleasure of listening to. If your library has audiobooks and you enjoy post apocalyptic literature it is great!

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Cormac-McCarthy/dp/1428112782

For sheer geek bliss I cannot recommend the series by Cassandra Clare highly enough she writes great paranormal fantasy without the soft core p*rn element that seems to be ever presentin other series. FWIW I am no prude I simply find most of this type of writing , dark paranormal to be cliched and boring. Her world building is fairly unique and certainly theologically fascinating.

http://www.amazon.com/Bones-Mortal-Instruments-Cassandra-Clare/dp/1416955070

I am also prereading a book titled Heavy Sand by Rybakov that was recommended by relatives. We will be reading about modern Russia and eastern Europe next year thus my attempt to flesh out our coverage to include a wide range of historical fiction.

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Sand-Anatoly-Rybakov/dp/0140055355/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245279784&sr=1-2

I am forever reading political theorists and Noam Chomsky ,albeit primarily a linguist is one of my favorite thinkers. Therefore I am treating myself to Failed States to balance the mind candy.

http://books.google.com/books?id=yDhGoR6yU8AC&dq=Noam+Chomsky&printsec=frontcover&source=an&hl=en&ei=Dng5Sq_FOIzMMpTU7Y0N&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=13#PPA3,M1