Menu

The cat is in his glory! The chipmunk... not so much.

Our indoor cat, Cedric, finally had a little excitement in his life yesterday.

Apparently, the little flap that fits over the dryer vent outside the house, got wedged open and a chipmunk found his way inside the ducting tube thingie, and he got stuck in there.

Being smarter than the average chipmunk, and industrious to boot, he got right to work chewing a hole in the tube, and leapt to freedom in the laundry room... or so he thought.

Cedric is 26 pounds of lean, mean muscle, and he has never in his life gotten to do anything more violent than chatter at birds and squirrels (and possibly this very chipmunk) as they cavorted outside the window.

Yesterday was his day. They say that every dog has his day, but apparently it works for cats, too. (Hey, who knew?)

We weren't at home to see the battle, but let's just say that Cedric emerged victorious.

So anyway, we got home and I found this poor dead chipmunk on the floor of the laundry room. I felt so sorry for it, but I was mostly worried about what ds9 would say when he saw it. I was really worried that he would be upset and have nightmares about the cute little chipmunk.

I was busy preparing my heartfelt speech about how sometimes bad things happen to good rodents, when ds walked into the room.

And he said, "Look, Mom -- a dead chipmunk! COOOOOOOOL!!!"

So much for my speech. :glare: I didn't get to use any of it. I swear that if the kid had a camera in his hand, we'd have a picture of that chipmunk stuck on the refrigerator right now.

I went out to the garage to find a nice little box to use as a chipmunk coffin, and when I got back to the laundry room, ds was turning the chipmunk over with a shovel to look for the fatal wound, and commenting on how Cedric must have some huge fangs. (He does. Let's just say he's not entirely a typical domestic cat.)

Cedric was sitting nearby, but not too close, as ds had that shovel, and I guess he figured that bad things can happen to good cats, too. I have never seen that cat look prouder. Usually, he just looks worried.

So anyway, ds decided against my funeral idea, opting instead to toss the chipmunk au naturel over the back fence. Not exactly what I was planning, but at least it was quick.

Later last night, ds said he felt sorry for the chipmunk, so at least I got to use a little bit of my poignant speech, which made me feel better.

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

So anyway, ds decided against my funeral idea, opting instead to toss the chipmunk au naturel over the back fence. Not exactly what I was planning, but at least it was quick.

Later last night, ds said he felt sorry for the chipmunk, so at least I got to use a little bit of my poignant speech, which made me feel better.

Cat

I loved this story.:lol:

Oh, my. In addition to laughing out loud (I do dearly love a good cat story . . . we have three indoor cats who dream of proving themselves in battle) I am admiring your writing.

I really and truly think you could get some stuff published!

. . . bad things happen to good rodents . . . :lol:

Well, it has been two days and there's still no living with Cedric. :glare: He is still completely full of himself over The Great Chipmunk Massacre, and I'm pretty sure he now has set his sights on a baby groundhog that's living in the backyard. He keeps staring at it and chattering. I can only imagine what he's saying to that poor thing, but even if I knew, I doubt I'd be able to post it on a public forum without being banned for life.

Fortunately, there's no way the groundhog is coming into the house, so Cedric is out of luck... although he's a clever cat, and I did see him trying to pick the lock on the laundry room door. Maybe he figures if the groundhog won't come in... ;)

Cat

Great story... glad to hear that your house wasn't destroyed during the bedlam that I am sure ensued!

Fortunately, the laundry room door was closed, so we managed to avoid a huge mess.

One of our other cats, Chloe, has been ill all week after having eaten some philodendron leaves, and since she and Cedric are not exactly the best of friends, even under the best of circumstances, we've been keeping them separated when we go out, and Cedric pulled laundry room duty the other day!

Cat

Well, it has been two days and there's still no living with Cedric. :glare: He is still completely full of himself over The Great Chipmunk Massacre, and I'm pretty sure he now has set his sights on a baby groundhog that's living in the backyard. He keeps staring at it and chattering. I can only imagine what he's saying to that poor thing, but even if I knew, I doubt I'd be able to post it on a public forum without being banned for life.

Fortunately, there's no way the groundhog is coming into the house, so Cedric is out of luck... although he's a clever cat, and I did see him trying to pick the lock on the laundry room door. Maybe he figures if the groundhog won't come in... ;)

Cat

Can I rent Cedric, our prissy poo poo purebreeds are friends w/the mice who live here and think the squirrels are their friends.

I will take him, maybe he can teach my foofy pants a thing or two ....

Last night we heard noises in the ceiling, enough to wake me, I took the bigger cat, who was asleep to the location. She looked at it, heard it, licked her paws and walked off.

How about I trade you two purebreeds for one tomcat.

Sure, Jet! He never killed anything before the chipmunk, but he's already had business cards printed up to advertise his new Assassin for Hire business, and says he specializes in rodents and non-flying birds. ;)

Cat

Cat,that sounds like a Far Side cartoon:lol: At least your boy Cedric knew what to do. Not so in this household with Cowboy Bob and Butler. My ds came running into our room at midnight one night to tell us that there was a mouse in his room along with the cats. It took my dh, ds and the two incompetent felines 25 minutes to catch one poor field mouse. The mouse ran right between the legs of Cowboy Bob and was released by Butler-twice. Cowboy Bob prefers to carry old Beenie Babies around the house and howl if a child is missing from home.