Menu

Movies as literature

We haven't used it yet, but are planning to use it as a supplement, just for fun add-in for next year - which means we won't be doing all of it or probably as written. I haven't figured out how we are going to implement it yet, but my dd is a film lover, so will be appealing to her.

If you do a search for movies as literature on this forum, you will find a few prior threads that give you a bit more information.

Anyone here use this? Any input?

Is this Kathryn Stout's curriculum? I attended one of her lectures on teaching composition at a homeschool conference and found her to be a highly accessible individual. No comment on the Movies as Lit curriculum though.

Jane

We used it for a while, but it fell of the to-do list. I really enjoyed it and so did my son. It made us look at movies differently. In many ways, it has been a good thing. But, in some ways, I can't just go in and "enjoy" a movie anymore. Also, it was time-consuming to watch movies more than once. Sometimes, we would watch the movie and just talk about the parts afterwards. If we needed to see a particular scene again, we would find it on the dvd. I might use it again, but I haven't figured out where. Most of the movies are great.

Anyone here use this? Any input?

If you're asking about Kathryn & Richard Stout's "Movies As Literature" my best advice would be to use it exclusively for literature for the entire year 'as it is designed'. I realize that TWTM way of homeschooling is to supplement, supplement, supplement. Please don't put your child through this program while trying to supplement with other literature studies. It will be overkill.

Also, if you decide to use Movies As Literature, do spend a little extra money and purchase the MAL Student Workbook as well as the text. Esp with a child who struggles with reading and writing, the WB will save them and you much frustration.

I've spoken to Kathryn on the phone and I have emailed with her. She is a treasure of wisdom when it comes to teaching kids who have a 'different' bent to learning. Her own son was not a visual learner so what she teaches in her lectures and books are methods which she successfully used with him. Her heart's desire: http://www.designastudy.com/ has always been to help kids who struggle with learning the conventional, visual way which is usually used in schools.

FWIW-- I am not affiliated with Design-A-Study in any way, shape or form. I just think that her materials are wonderful.

• Thanks 1

If you're asking about Kathryn & Richard Stout's "Movies As Literature" my best advice would be to use it exclusively for literature for the entire year 'as it is designed'. I realize that TWTM way of homeschooling is to supplement, supplement, supplement. Please don't put your child through this program while trying to supplement with other literature studies. It will be overkill.

Also, if you decide to use Movies As Literature, do spend a little extra money and purchase the MAL Student Workbook as well as the text. Esp with a child who struggles with reading and writing, the WB will save them and you much frustration.

I've spoken to Kathryn on the phone and I have emailed with her. She is a treasure of wisdom when it comes to teaching kids who have a 'different' bent to learning. Her own son was not a visual learner so what she teaches in her lectures and books are methods which she successfully used with him. Her heart's desire: http://www.designastudy.com/ has always been to help kids who struggle with learning the conventional, visual way which is usually used in schools.

FWIW-- I am not affiliated with Design-A-Study in any way, shape or form. I just think that her materials are wonderful.

I don't want to be argumentative but I think schools do NOT teach to visual learners. Visuals spatial learners are in the minority and schools teach to the majority style of auditory sequential learner.

I used it with my son a couple of years ago. We both really enjoyed it. It's a nice, full, well-rounded program. We used it pretty much as written. There were a few of the movies that my son didn't like, but I probably would have assigned books he didn't like as well, had we done traditional literature so I didn't let that discourage us.

We just bought the teacher's book. It actually has all of the same information as the student's book, so I didn't see the need to spend the extra money. We did the questions orally and my son took notes.

A Netflix subscription was all we needed for a year's worth of lit & comp. ;) You could probably use the library, if yours carries a nice selection of DVDs. Ours has most of the movies, but a lot of them were on VHS and we don't have a VCR so that was a no-go for us, LOL.

unsinkable,

You must have had associations with some very good schools. The ones I have seen do cater to visual learners. My youngest dd always wanted to go to school but the ones in our area would have only been a frustration to her with her auditory and kinesthetic learning modes. My oldest dd was a visual learner and would have done well in our schools but she always wanted to homeschool until going to college.

My daughter did a movies and literature in her 9th grade at a homeschool academy. They used both the Stout course and another course. It was very rigorous and really helped her learn a lot about both literary and filmmaking techniques. She enjoyed it and learned a lot. I gave the class as an honors class since she did so much work for it with a abundance of writing assignments and she was by far the youngest in the class.

We're currently using it as a fun supplement, without the writing component. The kids LOVE it and enjoy talking about all the questions the next day. The discussions have been very helpful and they are beginning to look at all movies more analytically as a result. They're all big movie fans so they love any excuse to watch a movie, even old ones.

I think the program would certainly be able to stand on its own as an English curriculum, but we're just having fun with it for now.

I have used this with my 10th grade dd this past year. She has much preferred it over reading the novels. It is a heavy course though, with lots of thinking and writing. The movies cover quite a variety of issues, so they are thought provoking. I would agree with another poster....do not supplement, as it would be way to much work.

Heather