Menu

A non-book lover in a house full of books. Help!

swimmermom3

This morning, I packed up my youngest's ds books from this year's studies. I looked sadly at the numerous volumes of great literature that had gone unread. Never in the history of this book-loving household had that happened. Usually, I have to order more books to keep everyone happy. Then a horrific thought slapped me right between the eyes; this kid is not...gasp...a reader! How could I have missed that? And what does that mean for my lit -based plans for ancient history next year?

This boy likes Calvin & Hobbes, 1,000 page computer books, NPR, math, science, hiking,competitive swimming, critical thinking activities, geography, and quirky poetry. Oddly enough, he did really enjoy Alice in Wonderland on his own.

Does this mean I need to shift the focus from lit to more factual things like ancient science and math. I ws looking at TWTM this morning. I've never taught logic before. Do we need to do this? Philosophy? He's interested in politics and world religions.

Sorry this is so long. I'm just at a bit of a loss. I'm more of the lit and artsy kind of girl who needs a GPS. DS is my GPS:D

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a non-reader (or at least very, extremely reluctant), but am so convinced that a literature approach will benefit him that we're doing it anyway. :lol: Sometimes it's like pulling teeth... but if *I* am faithful to do the read-alouds with him, it usually works just fine.

We have a read-aloud each week, and he also has an assigned read-alone (about which he does a narration at least several times a week). Then I also have a minimum amount of time he should spend reading each day. He does get to subtract the read-alone time, but not the read-aloud time. I have him at an hour each day, and the read-alone takes around half of that, sometimes a little more. So he reads 20-30 minutes or so out of whatever he chooses to pick from the library. (With my approval of course - twaddle magazines, Pokemon, etc does not count towards his hour either! The 39 Clues is not something I'd assign, but it's not something I mind him reading for his pick either.)

He's 10yo, 4th grade, and we've been working up to a working setup like this for about a year. I think we've finally made it to the neighborhood where I'm comfortable with how much and what he is reading.

She rarely reads fiction just for fun. Since I have the Sonlight books I go through them and decide what she can wait and read when she is older. Some books I will assign for her to read now. I do assign her a specific number of minutes or chapters to read/day as part of school time. Some books she probably will never read and those I will donate to the library. She often reads non-fiction or children's graphic novels. Most literature programs for older students don't require reading many books through the year and that type of program or a reading textbook may be options that I will persue with her in the future.

(Dh would prefer the children read "twaddle" as opposed to not reading at all for fun so we allow that.)

I'm in the same boat with my younger DD, but she has been in private school and this will be my first year homeschooling her. DH and I have two goals for this 1st year: 1) instill a love of learning and 2) ancourage an interest in reading (or at least help her understand it's essential to her future academic success).

You're so lucky you've identified material your DS likes to read. You are very wise to consider focussing his reading on the factual topics he enjoys.

My DD is also very mathy and enjoys science so I've considered the literature based science guides from Queen's Homeschool Supplies: http://www.queenhomeschool.com

My Side of the Mountain Guide

A wonderful study on the mountains, woods, trees, wild plants and edible plants, and wild animals!

Lost in the Barrens Guide

This adventurous tale of a young Canadian boy who befriends a Cree Indian boy will keep you on the edge of your seat! As Jamie and Awasin become lost in the Canadian wilderness called, “The Barrensâ€, their only hope of survival is to become acquainted with the natural foods native to this land, and learn to survive off the land. An exciting read, as well as a wonderful study on the wildlife and plants native to the subarctic region.

Oakie of the Oak Tree Guide

This study through the book, "Oakie of the Oak Tree", by

Mary E. Woodis, is a wonderful study of life in the forests of North America. All sorts of animals and trees, the ecosystem, the food chain, and much more are studied, as well as Bible study. Includes grammar, researching, writing, map charting, sketching, and more, for elementary grades.

My DD is only 9, so I've also selected books which are around 100 to 150 pages. When she can get through a book quickly she is more likely to stick to it. How about short stories from Hemingway, Crane, etc....? Have you read Shakespeare together yet? My older DD and I read her first Shakespeare at age 11 and we loved it! We read Much Ado About Nothing and it was a pretty quick read.

I cant remember where I read it (maybe Karen Andreola?), but this really clicked for me.... some kids find it boring to read about children just like themselves. They need more adventure.

Like your DS, my DD enjoyed Alice in Wonderland on audio CD and another book she really liked was Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs which you could tie into the 7 Wonders of the World for Ancient History. A fun book about Sumeria is Hubert Invents the Wheel and for a quirky sense of humor I HIGHLY recommend Alexander the Great Rocks the World! It's a blast!

As you can see I've put a lot of thought into this for my DD, so I hope this helps a little. :) Best of luck!

My DS16 is just the same. He has never picked up a novel to read on his own. He too loves Calvin and Hobbes etc. etc. We did Sonlight a couple of times and I chose books I knew he would enjoy and like a previous poster had to schedule the book to read, how many pages per day etc. and that seemed to work fine. I tried to get the best literature for him to read (according his interests) for assigned reading. Now that he is older I believe that having good literature in there lives (including read alouds) have so many benefits: vocabulary, grammar, writing to name a few so I think perservering even if they complain is the key. And don't be discouraged if a book is never picked up and read for leisure. HTH!!

Will he listen to audio books? These were a huge help to my sister, who was a non-reader in a family of readers... I thought and continue to think that she has some form of dyslexia, but she was never formally diagnosed. By high school she *could* read the classics (things like the Aeneid and the Odyssey in translation, and James Fenimore Cooper, etc, in English), but reading always appeared to be more of a physical challenge for her than for the rest of us, and was never really something she *chose* to do. (And part of it is that she's an *extreme* example of an auditory learner as opposed to a visual one -- but I think for her it's extreme enough to be evidence of some LDs...)

However, she listened to hundreds of audio books over the years, and has a very strong vocabulary and grasp of good language, and naturally has been introduced to wonderful stories over the years through audio books. She was still expected to read for school, but these helped bridge the gap in the quantity of literature that other members of the family chose to read...

It was very tough on her to feel like she didn't fit in. No one ever *meant* to make her feel like that -- quite the opposite, and I'm not sure what more we could have done to reassure her that she was intelligent and worthy of our respect despite her reluctance to read -- but I do wish she could have felt less that way...

My 14 year old hates to read and, despite my best efforts, has very poor reading skills (she has learning disabilities and attends school). This summer, she is required by the school she will attend for high school to read 1/2 an hour a day. She complained for weeks about how awful this was going to be, then read for 2 1/2 hours today because she was enjoying her book.

Anyway, I think that the fact that you have a reluctant reader is all the more reason to pursue a lit-based homeschool program. Working on weak areas is vital in education, and as long as you don't push your son beyond his endurance, nothing bad can come of it. Do lots of reading aloud with him, and require him to do a reasonable amount of his own reading. I second the idea of audiobooks. You can find lots of good ones on Librivox if you are having trouble finding the ones you want via the library.

Tara

Since he reads 1000 page computer books I'm thinking the "ability" to read (dyslexia, etc) isn't the issue. Correct?

So it's interest. My move would be to find "biographies", well-written histories, and other "living books" that reinforce the subjects your dealing with. Hardly novel advice to a WTM crowd, but....

Also I would consider a subscription to a news periodical (if he doesn't already have one). "The Economist" would be the top choice if the is really into world events (but it's not for the average 12 year-old) or maybe Time.

I lived for Time and Newsweek arriving at this age. They have gotten "fluffier" than they used to be (although Newsweek has taken a drastic change in recent weeks in format that I'm still trying to wrap my head around). Anyway. That's my advice :001_smile:

Bill

My reluctant 12 year old reader likes to read Popular Mechanics and Popular Science. He hates reading novels, which, in a house of novel lovers is hard to deal with. If you try these magazines, just be aware that you migh twant to intercept them in the mail and tear out the mature ads in the back! :001_smile:

Kirsten

I notice that you use Sonlight. My ds does NOT care for historical fiction. at. all. It took me MANY years to accept this. He really does like to read, just not historical fiction. I know SL uses books other than historical fiction, but I do belive that many of their books are of this genre?

Has you son read Lord of the Rings? Or the Redwall series? Mysterious Benedict Society and its sequel? Maybe it has just been too much historical fiction? We finally went to a textbook (gasp!) approach for history, and it has worked out much better for us. My ds is just a math and science type of guy.

I would definitely add in some Logic. We have used all of the DandyLion Logic workbooks (the last one is for grades 5 - 7...I think that one is Orbiting with Logic. They are in Rainbow Resource) as well as Art of Argument.

HTH. Advice is worth what you pay for it! :lol:

*sigh* Yeah, this is true of my 9yods, too. Audiobooks are one thing that is saving if for us. Even that is challenging, because he doesn't *think* he will be interested in them. I recently pulled "The Magician's Nephew" audiobook out of the library and he looked at it doubtfully. But once he got on a roll with it (assigned into his day), he said, "This is a really good story!" :bigear: Music to my ears! So, I'm going to let him blow through the rest of The Chronicles on audiobook.

I also milk any series he likes for all it's worth. He loves the "You Wouldn't Want to be..." books and I was also considering checking out "Horrible History" books. He likes factoid books, too, like Book of World Records and almanacs. Historical fiction bores him to tears.

He is a little on the dyslexic side, too, so I think it takes some of the pleasure out of the concept of reading.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. I wasn't sure how to describe the situation and I think calling him non-reader wasn't accurate.

Bill, you're absolutely right.

Since he reads 1000 page computer books I'm thinking the "ability" to read (dyslexia, etc) isn't the issue. Correct?

So it's interest. My move would be to find "biographies", well-written histories, and other "living books" that reinforce the subjects your dealing with. Hardly novel advice to a WTM crowd, but....

Also I would consider a subscription to a news periodical (if he doesn't already have one). "The Economist" would be the top choice if the is really into world events (but it's not for the average 12 year-old) or maybe Time.

Hakim would never be this boy's choice for US History (hoping Story of Science is okay).:D Daniel Boorstin was a favorite last year. Your suggestion for a news periodical subscription is inspired. Ds wanted to know how US acquired a military base in Cuba given our past relatioship. I would be most happy justifying the cost of The Economist as "tuition".

Like your DS, my DD enjoyed Alice in Wonderland on audio CD and another book she really liked was Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs which you could tie into the 7 Wonders of the World for Ancient History. A fun book about Sumeria is Hubert Invents the Wheel and for a quirky sense of humor I HIGHLY recommend Alexander the Great Rocks the World! It's a blast!

As you can see I've put a lot of thought into this for my DD, so I hope this helps a little. :) Best of luck!

Amtmcm -thanks for the list of resources. You sound like you know exactly where I'm coming from. Alexander the Great Rocks the World was recommended to me on another thread. I'll check it out. My ds does appreciate that quirky humor, (Lewis Carroll, Rudyard Kipling, C.S. Lewis, and Shel Silverstein come to mind) but is still a bit literal. We read The Jumblies by Edward Lear. On the part about "going to sea in a sieve", ds exclaimed, " I don't get it!" and "They're all gonna die!". Anyway, Hubert, Alex and & 7 Wonders are all going on my wish list. We've done a little bit of Shakespeare and that's fine.

My oldest (9) devours books, he reads a couple daily, really. I can't keep him in stock with books. He reads quality books and a wide variety of genres. I currently only have about a dozen on the bookcases he hasn't read.

This describes my older two dc and myself; that's why younger dc is a bit of a shock.

I notice that you use Sonlight. My ds does NOT care for historical fiction. at. all. It took me MANY years to accept this. He really does like to read, just not historical fiction. I know SL uses books other than historical fiction, but I do belive that many of their books are of this genre?

I would definitely add in some Logic. We have used all of the DandyLion Logic workbooks (the last one is for grades 5 - 7...I think that one is Orbiting with Logic. They are in Rainbow Resource) as well as Art of Argument.

The point about Sonlight's heavy use of historical fiction is a good one. I love it, but I don't think ds does. He will sit down and read one of the Enchantment of the World books in one sitting and talk to me about the political structures of N. Korea vs. S. Korea. I nod wisely.

This is why I think I need to restructure ancient history plans. I'm thinking that ancient history would coincide well with the introduction to Logic and some philosophy. Off the cuff, maybe something like the Death of Socrates that someone else mentioned on another thread. These aren't areas I have a lot of experience with but I am always happy to read and research. The Art of Argument or Speech and Debate are possibilites. He loves to argue.

Next year, he is my only one home so we can do whatever we want to. I want to take advantage of that luxury and explore his unique talents even if they aren't the same as mine. Hopefully, I'm not biting off more than I can manage.

Thank you all again for your help. Home school here may be moving in another direction. More Classical, perhaps?