Menu

Need hive help for birthday party favor ideas...

I need some minds more creative than my own. I need ideas for birthday party favors for my dd's birthday party. It will be a pool party for about 8-10 kids, boys and girls ranging in age from 6-11yo. (Though if the weather doesn't warm up and become more summer-like here the pool part might not fly too well.)

I am not good with these kinds of things and don't want to spend a ton of money.

Thanks.

Give everyone a Fun Noodle (there are knock-offs that are less money then the name brand one). Inexpensive and substantial at the same time.

Being in NJ, too and about to have my dd's outdoor full of water games birthday party, I feel your pain.

Could they do a small craft that they get to keep as the "goodie"? I did fabric painted foam visors once. Or get cheap t-shirts at local crafts store and let your kid in advance use fabric markers to make "Susie-Q's Pool Party Blast!" (etc) shirts to hand out.

Or plastic frisbees emblazoned with same - you get the idea. One craft or one larger item is better than one bag of assorted cheap candy and junk.

The ideas on the above posts are great.

My dd's went to a pool party a few

years ago and the mom gave everyone a CHEAP beach towel that she found at Big Lots. The towels are still in use at our house.

Water toys (squirt guns, kickboards -- again go cheap).

Water bottle to keep hydrated (serve the birthday party drinks in them?)

A tiny clip-on sunscreen (might cost too much and boring, so never mind)

An acyrlic "frameless" picture frame from the Hobby Lobby that can be painted around the edges

We just went to a party where the mom handed out noodles. She had a variety of colors, so the kids could have a choice. She also had a big variety pack of those little inexpensive sunshades. We have the noodles at our $1 store right now, although I'm sure they will go quickly. You could always inflate a beach ball (also from $1 store) for each guest. I used a permanent marker and wrote the child's name on one of those big balls (usually $2.50 at Wal-Mart) one year, but beach balls would be cute too, especially for a pool party. HTH!

Go to the dollar store and get beach balls! My kids have gotten these several times as favors and they ALWAYS love them. Or water noodles. Or water guns. Or all of them depending on how much you want to spend.

ETA: I just read all the posts and it's good to know - I have the exact same ideas as everyone else! LOL

I love the idea of one craft item rather than a bunch of junk.

One favorite activity we did at the park for a party with ds was to let them decorate their own mini cakes. After they were finished they could eat it or take it home. A friend had kids decorate their own large sugar cookies she made a couple of days earlier. Another favorie idea.

And cool ideas about the noodles and balls as take homes. My son would totally love that.

I love everyone's idea. Just wanted to add that if you decide on water guns buy one first to test. We tried water guns yesterday for a swim party and I was really disappointed. They leaked and didn't squirt very well.

Also decorating cupcakes is a fun activity. I saw a cupcake idea with a Teddy Graham bear sitting under a cocktail umbrella. I think they used blue candy to make a little pool. It was really cute.

We've done books which were popular with kids and parents. We've also done a pinata with small candy. I gave each kid a small cup and they filled it and took it home. I think parents were ok with that too, as it wasn't much.

I love the ideas of noodles, beach balls, or water guns.

For summer parties, I think it's also good to include a drink box or small bottle of water or juice that the kids can drink on the way home. My dd has a summer birthday & I included a drink the bags when she was young. I couldn't believe how many of our friends told us later that it was great as the kids were hot & thirsty & were thrilled to have a drink on the way home.