Menu

English for 6th grade???

We used Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn English 2 plus the first half of Lightning Literature 7. I really love this combination: the SY English includes reading (passages, plus suggestions for further reading) of prose and poetry, writing topics, spelling, vocabulary and light grammar. The LL7 gives one the opportunity to read and analyse longer texts. There are samples of both on their websites.

Best wishes

Laura

We used Easy Grammar--our favorite--and some Writing Strands. We poked at BJUP's grammar/comp one year, and R&S's 3rd grade English.

For spelling we used Spelling Workout once, and Spalding, but my dds turned out to be natural spellers, so we didn't do Official Spelling so much.

Once my dc knew how to read, I just let them read, rather than doing basal readers or any kind of program.

We did NOT like Winston Grammar.

My kids are also just entering 6th grade - I'd like to finish Easy Grammar 6 (we did the first half last year), for poetry/vocab/writing/grammar reinforcement we've got MCT materials, we're going to use Teaching the Classics to talk about longer works of literature, and in the mail are the Jamestown Best Stories/Best Plays books, which I'm going to throw into the mix if they're as good as they sound. I also have IEW's Ancient History Writing lessons if we ever actually get to Ancient History... For spelling I've got one in Sequential Spelling 4 and the other in Spelling Wisdom 2.

We dropped R&S English and started using Sheldon's Advanced Language Lessons: Grammar and Composition this past year. It's a classical version of Emma Serl's Intermediate Language Lessons. We started using it in 5th grade but it can be used for grades 4-6 like Serl's. My children really like it so we are using it for 6th this year also. You can download it free on public domain such as Google Books instead of paying $20 to Amazon, etc. There's no answer key. It's pretty self explanatory.

Although, Rod and Staff wasn't a hit with my dc, I still think it's a great program.