Menu

Ay, I feel so stupid....

Ibbygirl

Can anyone tell me what it means to "annex zeros"?? I was flipping through my daughter's new math curriculum and it uses that terminology and I have no idea what it means and it doesn't explain it. :( Can someone explain it to me, please? Thank you. :)

Can anyone tell me what it means to "annex zeros"?? I was flipping through my daughter's new math curriculum and it uses that terminology and I have no idea what it means and it doesn't explain it. :( Can someone explain it to me, please? Thank you. :)

What was the context? Maybe that would make it easier for someone to figure out what it meant....

Is this for division? If so, annex means add zeros until the problem comes out even or to the hundredths place.

http://www.studyzone.org/mtestprep/math8/d/decimaldivl.cfm

We use Singapore math and just added CLE math. In long division it means to add zeros.

That's exactly what I am doing as well. I've been using Singapore exclusively for the last 2 years and I bought some CLE LU's to cover some topics before my daughter's evaluation and that's where I saw it.

It's in Light Unit 603 on Page 4 problem 17. It says this....

copy and solve. Annex zeros as needed.

168.972-79=

That's exactly what I am doing as well. I've been using Singapore exclusively for the last 2 years and I bought some CLE LU's to cover some topics before my daughter's evaluation and that's where I saw it.

It's in Light Unit 603 on Page 4 problem 17. It says this....

copy and solve. Annex zeros as needed.

168.972-79=

I would assume that it means you "add" a .000 to the 79, so it lines up nicely under 168.972. The problem should end up reading 168.972-79.000, but stacked vertically. (I think, anyway!) I haven't heard the term "annex zeroes" before, but kind of like it. You're not actually adding zero (since 79+0=79 no matter how many zeroes you add) but writing zeroes after something. :) Maybe it was meant to be less confusing than "add zeroes".

HTH

I would assume that it means you "add" a .000 to the 79, so it lines up nicely under 168.972. The problem should end up reading 168.972-79.000, but stacked vertically. (I think, anyway!) I haven't heard the term "annex zeroes" before, but kind of like it. You're not actually adding zero (since 79+0=79 no matter how many zeroes you add) but writing zeroes after something. :) Maybe it was meant to be less confusing than "add zeroes".

HTH

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's never heard of "annexing zeros". I feel *slightly* less dumb now. ;) :D hehe

I clearly remember one of my elementary teachers teaching this. It was 5th or 6th grade, I think. You annex a zero because you're attaching it to the end. She really emphazised it, because add is an operation--you'd still have the same number if you add. 1 + 0 = 0, but 0 annexed to 1 = 10. When you know what is meant, it may not matter if the word annex or add is used. But if a math book says to add a 0, you might assume it refers to the mathematical operation of addition.

My 12 yo, who uses BJU math which teaches the annexing of zero's, says that it means to add zero's on to a problem as needed. Either when completing long division and having to add zeros to the end of the dividend, or when multiplying multiple digits and adding your zeros to "hold" places. Hope that makes sense? You probably do it all the time, you've just not heard it called "Annex" before. ;)

I clearly remember one of my elementary teachers teaching this. It was 5th or 6th grade, I think. You annex a zero because you're attaching it to the end. She really emphazised it, because add is an operation--you'd still have the same number if you add. 1 + 0 = 0, but 0 annexed to 1 = 10. When you know what is meant, it may not matter if the word annex or add is used. But if a math book says to add a 0, you might assume it refers to the mathematical operation of addition.

Exactly! :D

Not exactly. Big OOPS! 1 + 0 = 1 ! :D

Hey, it's the New Math! And I didn't use a calculator. What do you expect?

hehehehe I didn't even notice that you put a zero. I saw a 1. How strange is that!!

A BIG THANK YOU to you ladies for explaining it so well. Now I can tell my dd and act like I knew it all along. :tongue_smilie: hehe :grouphug:

Not exactly. Big OOPS! 1 + 0 = 1 ! :D

Hey, it's the New Math! And I didn't use a calculator. What do you expect?

And if a zero is annexed to a 1 isn't it 1.0 as opposed to 10?

And some people (you know who you are) don't listen :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

This is funny to me because we use BJUP HomeSat, and somewhere around the 3rd grade, the video teacher started using the phrase "annex the zero." We rewound the lesson to see if we missed the explanation. Nope. I pulled out the TM to see if the explanation was there. Nope.

Of course we were able to proceed, but we never knew if we totally understood the phrase "annex the zero." Until now. Thank you, Gardening Mama, for explaining it. I can't wait to tell my now 5th grader what it actually means! LOL!

And if a zero is annexed to a 1 isn't it 1.0 as opposed to 10?

Bill

I think it can mean either one. ("Annex" is just used to mean "write a zero after" whether it changes the number's value or not.) For an example, see this page:

http://books.google.com/books?id=bPdx556o3mwC&pg=PA169&lpg=PA169&dq=annex+zeroes+math&source=bl&ots=RfIe3aGASy&sig=tV2xcYpO1i0Ot6sNuuu3fmCb61k&hl=en&ei=F48qSumANpzmsgPy3PnsCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5

This is funny to me because we use BJUP HomeSat, and somewhere around the 3rd grade, the video teacher started using the phrase "annex the zero." We rewound the lesson to see if we missed the explanation. Nope. I pulled out the TM to see if the explanation was there. Nope.

Of course we were able to proceed, but we never knew if we totally understood the phrase "annex the zero." Until now. Thank you, Gardening Mama, for explaining it. I can't wait to tell my now 5th grader what it actually means! LOL!

We just started BJU math this year, and ran into that in a problem in Pre-Algebra. I could NOT figure out this MESS DD had of this one problem. She kept telling me that is what Mrs. Knisley said - and kept saying, "annex the zero". I watched the lesson.... read the TM....

It was a variety of things mucking her up, she was NOT supposed to be annexing where she was.... but she figured she could because it was a new term to her.

I re-taught her "my" way and terms, it clicked, we moved on! LOL!!

But i'm happy to see the explanation here :D

I think it can mean either one. ("Annex" is just used to mean "write a zero after" whether it changes the number's value or not.) For an example, see this page:

http://books.google.com/books?id=bPdx556o3mwC&pg=PA169&lpg=PA169&dq=annex+zeroes+math&source=bl&ots=RfIe3aGASy&sig=tV2xcYpO1i0Ot6sNuuu3fmCb61k&hl=en&ei=F48qSumANpzmsgPy3PnsCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5

No, I don't believe that is correct. After reading the very convoluted explanation multiple times, they are treating the multiplication of "tens" as if it were the multilpication of "units" (or "ones place" values) and then "annexing" zeros to put the number back into it's proper place value.

What a lousy way to teach math!

If "we" (or at least *I) can barely understand this explanation, what is a child to do???

Bill

We just started BJU math this year, and ran into that in a problem in Pre-Algebra. I could NOT figure out this MESS DD had of this one problem. She kept telling me that is what Mrs. Knisley said - and kept saying, "annex the zero". I watched the lesson.... read the TM....

It was a variety of things mucking her up, she was NOT supposed to be annexing where she was.... but she figured she could because it was a new term to her.

I re-taught her "my" way and terms, it clicked, we moved on! LOL!!

But i'm happy to see the explanation here :D

:lol: Thankfully my son picked up the concept without any problems. He started BJU Math in 4th grade. It was new to me too when I first heard it. I had been taught 'add on a zero, or bring down a zero.' But to annex a zero?? wuuuz that? :confused::lol: I'm just glad my ds got it so I didn't have to go looking for answers. ;)