Menu

Texas gals ~ do I want to move to Amarillo, Texas?

We currently live in Middle TN. I'm from the Houston area, and hubby is from West Texas (Lubbock area). We have been away from home and all family for over 20 years now. In laws are getting elderly and frail. Our kids don't see extended family but once a year, and for that I'm sad for them.

BUT

We love TN.

The "perfect" job just came available at Bell/Textron in Amarillo that hubby meets all the obscure requirements to a "t." He submitted his application on line tonight and we'll just wait and see. But, we both will be shocked if they don't at least call and talk to him about it.

Are we insane to seriously consider going? Not because of family but just in general? We are the most unTexan cowboy type you have ever met. My husband says it will be an enormous culture shock and is afraid we will hate his guts within 6 months :)

We are hard core classical homeschoolers. Very reformed. We like art, music, plants (green plants, not cacti), we dont' go outside after it hits 95 degrees, .... well, you get the picture. My mother in law (hubby's parents are divorced) moved to Austin because she hated West Texas dryness, sand everywhere, heat, etc.....so much. But, alas, she is moving back too this fall because of family.

Would we fit in? My 15 year old is terrified and I think rather upset. He says he would rather move to the Middle East than there because at least he would learn a new culture. Hubby laughs and tells him, no, you WOULD be learning a new culture in West Texas.

If you are from there ~ please don't have any hard feelings! We visit there every year and I love it. I just don't know how we could live there!

Of course, we still are not positive we would go even if they made us a great offer (and they may not).

PS: I lived in the DFW area for years. I knew so many people that moved from West Texas because they never felt like they belonged to that whole west texas culture. So, I'm sure that makes me leary.

I know there is one Christian private school that is trying to become "classical" ~ so something of that is known there. I feel so guilty for feeling this way, though, I'm afraid going IS the right thing to do.

My basic requirements: a good reformed church, an art museum, a good plant nursery, Target within 5 miles, hip local owned coffee shop to meet with friends, homeschool tutorials (can't find anything about this on line ~ yikes), Special Olympics for DS#2. Is suburban city girl just screaming out of me.

Many thanks, Debbie

Edited by debbiec

I lived outside Dallas in Garland. I liked it....when I was little I lived in Longview, although it's much different now....They have some nice University Method Classical schools there....and some good Classical Homeschoolers...:-) I think you'd like it...course, I'm partial to Texas...and except for the heat, I like it:-)

Carrie:-)

You and your kids are going to have a major culture shock in Amarillo. I lived in Dallas all my life until our recent move to NC...TX itself is very different, but Amarillo...wow! I traveled in and out of Amarillo frequently as our boys' birth parents lived there. Let's just kindly say that I've not been impressed! I saw a lot of gangs, crime and poverty, with poor schools and not much atmosphere. However, I realize I spent most of my time on the "wrong side of the tracks," but I just really never found much that I thought was redeeming about the city.

That said, if you like a small town atmosphere in a larger city, Amarillo will give you that. It has a very laid back culture. It is flat as a pancake out there without the beautiful vegetation you see in TN/NC, it's hot and if you are a plant lover, you may have a problem. I was never able to grow a lush garden in Dallas, much less out on the windswept panhandle! There are, however, neat little canyons to visit and you are close to some mountains and great vacation spots in New Mexico. The panhandle of TX does get snow in winter...as much ice as snow, but the weather does get cold and offers some relief from the summers. It is a part of "tornado alley"...you'll see why when you gaze out over the never-ending plains!

I'm sorry I can't offer more positives, though I will say that my boys' birth mother has lived there all her life and is happy there. Wish you the best with your decision!

Edited by Twinmom

OK, you guys make me laugh! Yes, I think I will hate it. Oldest son (10th grade) is already figuring out that he will graduate early from homeschooling, and apply to TN universities here so he can come back ASAP :)

My husbands family is SO sweet and nice....and so rural ~ ranching, farming, race horsing, ....and my kids have never touched a horse and just learned a few years ago what a salt lick was (as they helped put some out). We'll see. Maybe the job just really won't come through as anticipated. Thanks everyone ~ I'm not sure I feel any better, but I'm glad that I'm not the only Texan (born and rasied) that woudn't choose to live in Amarillo under normal circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mamafrog2

I'm a new member, but happened on your thread and wanted to give you some information about Amarillo in the event that the job offer comes.

I am a native of Amarillo, but have lived in Norman, OK; Dallas & Ft. Worth and now live in Amarillo again. It is an area which takes getting used to if you're not from here; however, there are some real benefits. We moved here to have a family b/c it's so easy to live here. You can get anywhere in 10-15 min. including the airport so you can be anywhere in the world by the end of the day.

It's hot for 2-3 months, cold for 2-3 months and mild for the rest of the year. We have a great art museum, a natural history museum with more artifacts than any other in TX, a symphony orchestra which is 75+ yrs. old, the oldest continually operating production theatre, ballet, opera, and new performing arts center. We have a botanical gardens, zoo, and science museum. Palo Duro Canyon is south of town and is great for mountain biking, trail runs, etc. There are several great coffee houses, we're partial to Roasters but there are other indies and Starbucks. We also have a great regional medical center with TX Tech Pharmacy School, heart hospital et al. Our kiddos aren't school-age yet, but our homeschooling group is great and growing www.pchea.org . Heritage Classical Academy has been here since 1980 and there are other great private schools but not classical.

We, as most here, are not the typical "west Texan", but appreciate the heritage. Our population is 180,000 with MSA of 225,000 and as with any city there is poverty, etc....not to sound snobbish, but it is typically localized in particular areas of town. Bell Helicopter/TEXTRON is a great employer here, and we know many of the management team who migrated here and have enjoyed living here. Wish you the best!

Honestly, I think Amarillo would win hands down over Lubbock. Yes, it is the plains, but it's rolling, beautiful grass covered plains. Not flat cotton fields as far as the eye can see. It is very much a small town feel with the conveniences of a bigger place. Lubbock caters so much to Texas Tech that you feel like that is all there is to the town. I grew up in Lubbock, but still have family in Amarillo and think it's a very nice place.

Maybe your kids would love the ranching, horse-riding lifestyle if they spent a while in it? I know I would give a lot to be able to live that country lifestyle. Unfortunately, dh's job doesn't allow for country living.

I wouldn't completely discount the idea. Especially if the job and the offer were right. You'll definately get a lot for your money there also!

If you go there, you have to eat at the Big Texan. Have your 15 year old son try for the free steak! :

http://www.bigtexan.com/

Also, remember the Boss and his tune about the Cadillac Ranch?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Ranch

We lived on the west Texas border on the NM side in a little town called Clovis when dh was stationed at Cannon AFB. I never knew tumbleweeds were for real until we lived there. I used to think they were props in old west movies for ghost towns until one become lodged on the grille of our car. Who knew?

I will tell you, and something to sell your son on if you decide to move, the sky at night is amazing. We've literally lived and traveled all over the world and nothing beats the view of the stars in west Texas. It's a breathtaking experience (and an astronomers dream) to ride stargazing in a convertible at night down highway 66.

I prefer Amarillo to Lubbock, incidentally.

Moving is always a challenge but you find good things wherever you go if you're willing to look for them. Also, it can be really good for your children to know that life goes on no matter where you hang your hat. Good luck!

If you go there, you have to eat at the Big Texan. Have your 15 year old son try for the free steak! :

Also, remember the Boss and his tune about the Cadillac Ranch?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Ranch

We lived on the west Texas border on the NM side in a little town called Clovis when dh was stationed at Cannon AFB. I never knew tumbleweeds were for real until we lived there. I used to think they were props in old west movies for ghost towns until one become lodged on the grille of our car. Who knew?

:lol::lol: Maybe you're the car I saw driving down the highway with a tumbleweed tied on top??? We were driving into NM and saw a Yukon with NY plates and a tumbleweed literally tied to the luggage rack. I almost died laughing! What a souvenir! :lol::lol:

So funny that you would mention this! A good friend's husband took off this morning for The Big Texan with his best friend to celebrate their birthdays. We could watch them on the webcam this evening try to eat 72 oz of steak. He made it to 53oz. Don't know if he kept it all down though!

And I agree with the prev posters that it's all in what you make it. If this job could be a terrific stepping stone for your dh, then what's the harm in trying it for a while. Your kids could truly love it!

We did something similar in 1995 -- moved back to Texas after ten years in Birmingham, AL. Only reason we came was to be in the same state as the grandparents. We loved Birmingham ! (Not hard to do. I already was "spoiled" for beautiful places by going to college in N.C.) We are in Dallas now, and I can't stand the place -- not the weather, not the terrain, not anything apart from the cultural amenities. (I grew up in Houston, and dh is from Waco.)

My brother lived in Amarillo for a couple of years, decades ago (while attending TSTI -- which probably is called something else by now). It sounded like a place I would enjoy investigating.

If there were no other reason, I sure would enjoy the cooler weather they have during the winters ! But if their summers resemble those of Dallas at all, one might just as well move to the fabled "hot place far down below". (My body tolerance for heat shuts down when the temperature surpasses 75 deg. F.)

Lubbock? I went there once, at age eleven. My strongest memory is being in a car, stopped at a red light, and being able to count the next ten traffic lights ahead of us down the road. (We're talking "tabletop flatland" !)

Bottom line, though. We returned for family, and believe that we did the right thing.

Best wishes with the job search ! and all happiness if you do move !

I have lived in Lubbock for 10 years now... and it took a loooooooong time to get used to!! I am from Ft. Worth, and so it was a huge culture shock. Lubbock does grow on you and I cannot imagine moving!! It is a nice small town and such a wonderful community. I actually LOVE the dry weather, but could do without the windstorms! I also have lived in Amarillo for a summer while my hubby was doing an intern there. I do remember it being very small, but don't remember crime or anything. There is a very nice part of Amarillo too. I am sure they have a wonderful homeschool community there. One VERY nice thing about Lubbock is that we have an awesome homeschool community!!

I am sure Amarillo will grow on you!!! It just may take 10 years:lol:

We currently live in Middle TN. I'm from the Houston area, and hubby is from West Texas (Lubbock area). We have been away from home and all family for over 20 years now. In laws are getting elderly and frail. Our kids don't see extended family but once a year, and for that I'm sad for them.

BUT

We love TN.

The "perfect" job just came available at Bell/Textron in Amarillo that hubby meets all the obscure requirements to a "t." He submitted his application on line tonight and we'll just wait and see. But, we both will be shocked if they don't at least call and talk to him about it.

Are we insane to seriously consider going? Not because of family but just in general? We are the most unTexan cowboy type you have ever met. My husband says it will be an enormous culture shock and is afraid we will hate his guts within 6 months :)

We are hard core classical homeschoolers. Very reformed. We like art, music, plants (green plants, not cacti), we dont' go outside after it hits 95 degrees, .... well, you get the picture. My mother in law (hubby's parents are divorced) moved to Austin because she hated West Texas dryness, sand everywhere, heat, etc.....so much. But, alas, she is moving back too this fall because of family.

Would we fit in? My 15 year old is terrified and I think rather upset. He says he would rather move to the Middle East than there because at least he would learn a new culture. Hubby laughs and tells him, no, you WOULD be learning a new culture in West Texas.

If you are from there ~ please don't have any hard feelings! We visit there every year and I love it. I just don't know how we could live there!

Of course, we still are not positive we would go even if they made us a great offer (and they may not).

PS: I lived in the DFW area for years. I knew so many people that moved from West Texas because they never felt like they belonged to that whole west texas culture. So, I'm sure that makes me leary.

I know there is one Christian private school that is trying to become "classical" ~ so something of that is known there. I feel so guilty for feeling this way, though, I'm afraid going IS the right thing to do.

My basic requirements: a good reformed church, an art museum, a good plant nursery, Target within 5 miles, hip local owned coffee shop to meet with friends, homeschool tutorials (can't find anything about this on line ~ yikes), Special Olympics for DS#2. Is suburban city girl just screaming out of me.

Many thanks, Debbie

I grew up in Canyon, just south of Amarillo. I still have family there and lived there for a bit a couple of years ago. A rundown:

There are a gazillion churches, you can probably find one that will fit;

http://www.amarilloart.org/ for an art museum

There is a Target in Amarillo, it's near Westgate mall.

Homeschool stuff:

http://amarilloflames.com/

http://pchea.org/

I know Canyon has a homeschool park day, if you wind up living there instead of Amarillo proper (many people live in Canyon and commute to Amarillo to work).

Amarillo College's Kids College has great programs both in summer and in the spring/fall.

Special Olympics Texas Area 16 301 S. Polk St., Suite 240-N Amarillo, TX 79101 806-374-7171

Don't know about coffee shops.

Some other things, I could hook you up with the local model rocketry group (my stepdad's big into that). There are some other museums in the area, and Palo Duro Canyon is awesome.

DH, the city boy from Scottsdale, didn't like it. But then we were nowhere near professional sports, and Canyon is dry, which he had trouble wrapping his head around. That, and going for a walk late at night tended to get him and his brother followed by bored cops because they were dressed in black.

Yes, the high plains are dry and flat. The weather will be quite different--tornadoes can be scary, but the thunderstorms are gorgeous. And there are definitely cultural differences, but not like moving to another continent or something. I like the weather a heck of a lot better than here.

Keep in mind Lubbock (where you have family) has more shopping, etc., and makes an easy weekend trip. OK City and Albequerque are each about 4 hrs. away.

It's not a bad place to live, and TX is probably the easiest state in the Union to homeschool in.