Menu

Have you all received the US Census form and sent it back?

I guess I was surprised at how it needed so much personal info. I was expecting more general household info - but they want everyones social, income, savings, employment info., etc. Why don't they get that info from the IRS??

Anyhoo, maybe I'm paranoid in this day of identity theft and Big Brother being a little too close (sigh). Does anyone else feel a little uncomfortable sending out all this info?

BTW, the envelope says that a response is required by US law and they just called our home number and left a message for us to call them (as I have not sent ours in yet, due to my uneasy gut). yikes!

Kim in TN (used to be in NV)

I guess I was surprised at how it needed so much personal info. I was expecting more general household info - but they want everyones social, income, savings, employment info., etc. Why don't they get that info from the IRS??

Anyhoo, maybe I'm paranoid in this day of identity theft and Big Brother being a little too close (sigh). Does anyone else feel a little uncomfortable sending out all this info?

BTW, the envelope says that a response is required by US law and they just called our home number and left a message for us to call them (as I have not sent ours in yet, due to my uneasy gut). yikes!

The last time the census came around here (TX) was around Feb of 2000. Dh & I had just gotten married the summer before. Since they only do it once every 10 yrs...I guess I'd be kind-of wondering if the form you got was legit or some kind of phishing scam.

I do seem to remember being uncomfortable w the questions, though, & if they've called you, it could be real. I think I finally just filled out the parts I didn't mind & left the rest blank. That's what I usually do w stuff like that! :rolleyes: Drives dh nuts.

You know what, after re-reading (and not being stuck on the "HUH? They are doing a census again?") I think you should contact your local police department and find out who to contact to find out if this is for real or not.

I would NOT give out my SSN, and are you saying htey are asking for savings account number? I have never heard of the census response being required by law either, but maybe I am just ignorant.

A few years ago we received a census form, and it was intrusive, as you describe. I decided not to fill it out. We received several letters in the mail over a year's period. Then they stopped.

I don't know what I'd do if we received another census request. Although I *really* like the idea of just filling out the parts I'm comfortable with. Good one!

I just don't like the idea of answering all of those questions at once and in writing.

:)

I think you're being scammed. This is not a census year.

Edited to add: Some quick internet research reveals that scams are even more common in census years. You might be part of the "dress rehearsal" (though your area is not mentioned in jgriff's link), or you might be being scammed because there's a dress rehearsal. Be careful.

contemplating on leaving a few areas blank when we get the form. We'll see if I end up in jail. :o

It may not be the main census. They do surveys all the time and recruit sample families. It's not exactly voluntary, but they do make an effort to be convenient. We participated in this last year. We had one in home interview and then monthly phone surveys. However, the first step was a census taker coming to our door and showing their credentials.

This may be a scam, or it may not be. The writer of one of the blogs I read has been dealing with this issue for a while... link to her post about ithere.

If it is the American Community Survey form put out by the Census Bureau and not just a scam, then it is illegal not to fill it out and send it in. Apparently, they can get pretty persistent about trying to make you complete it, too. Letters, phone calls, even people showing up on your doorstep day after day. I haven't ever received one of these, and that's probably a good thing. I don't enjoy the government intruding into my life quite that much, kwim? I'd politely tell them that they'll have to cuff me and haul me off before I'll fill out their form.

I'm going to give our local police dept a call to verify this. Thanks!
Did you view the actual form at the site jgriff linked? Is that the form you have? It says in very big letters at the top "Census Dress Rehearsal". And it doesn't ask for the information you mention.

Census workers have many surveys throughout the year. It's how they get the unemployment numbers and such that are released the first Friday of each month. Specific streets are chosen and over a three year period every house will be selected to participate. They are very persistent. They are required to make numerous home visits and call all the time. If you don't respond they ask your neighbors, contact your employers, even call the utility companies for information.

In March they have the most intrusive survey. https://ask.census.gov/cgi-bin/askcensus.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=781&p_created=1103807925&p_sid=zyiicFZi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD01NDEwLDU0MTAmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

I worked for the dept of commerce for many years, until 2001. It sounds legit but I'd call the local office to confirm before I answered anything. HTH

What?? Who said it was illegal not to fill out? We live in America. What happened to the right to privacy? If it isn't available to them through public record then they aren't getting it from us. I have never filled out a government survey. I always round file it. Dh always wants to fill in every single bubble just to mess with them.

Is this something new??

What?? Who said it was illegal not to fill out? We live in America. What happened to the right to privacy? If it isn't available to them through public record then they aren't getting it from us. I have never filled out a government survey. I always round file it. Dh always wants to fill in every single bubble just to mess with them.

Is this something new??

It is illegal not to fill out the American Community Survey sent out by the Census Bureau. In fact, here's a direct quote from their questions and answers document from the ACS website:

"Do I have to answer the questions on the American Community Survey?

Yes. Your response to this survey is required by law (Title 13, United States Code, Sections 141, 193, and 221). The same law protects the confidentiality

of the information that you provide."

Basically, if this IS the survey the OP received, it's illegal for her not to fill it out and return it, and the census bureau workers might make a nuisance of themselves for a while if she doesn't. As far as I know, though, no one's actually been arrested and prosecuted for not filling it out.

It is illegal not to fill out the American Community Survey sent out by the Census Bureau. In fact, here's a direct quote from their questions and answers document from the ACS website:

"Do I have to answer the questions on the American Community Survey?

Yes. Your response to this survey is required by law (Title 13, United States Code, Sections 141, 193, and 221). The same law protects the confidentiality

of the information that you provide."

Basically, if this IS the survey the OP received, it's illegal for her not to fill it out and return it, and the census bureau workers might make a nuisance of themselves for a while if she doesn't. As far as I know, though, no one's actually been arrested and prosecuted for not filling it out.

Yes, this is the one we received. They did initially send us a letter telling us that it was coming, then the survey came and I was surprised at how intrusive the questions were so I didn't send it back, so then they sent us another survey which I also didn't return, and today they called and left a message. So, I guess we really do have to send this back in, huh? I think that I will return it without a few of the answers filled in and see what happens!

Guest Rational Jenn

Hi everyone! I'm the blogger that someone linked to earlier in this thread (thank you!).

The American Community Survey IS an official survey sent out by the Census Bureau. But it is NOT the Census. The next Census will be taken in 2010, according to constitutional requirements. The purpose of the official Census is to count the number of people living in an area, specifically to determine the number of Representatives each state gets in the US House.

About 8 or 10 years ago, Congress gave the Census Bureau additional "powers", to send out these interim surveys in non-census years. They did make it illegal to refuse to complete these surveys. To the best of my knowledge, they can't jail you for refusing, but they recently raised the fine to $5,000. Also to the best of my knowledge, the Census Bureau does not have the power to prosecute these cases--they can only refer refusals on to the DOJ, which has not prosecuted anyone to date.

This is a randomized survey, only sent to a portion of households in the US, so a lot of people don't know about it. Unlike the regular Census, this survey is about 28 pages long and asks such questions as: Did you have a baby last year? How long is your commute to work? Where did you work before (and give the address)? You must complete a section for each person in the household, including children. If the child is over 5, you must complete a section that talks about their education. They want to know what kind of health insurance you have, whether anyone is deaf or blind or has difficulty walking up and down staircases, and how many times each person in the household has been married. They want to know what kind of plumbing you have in your house, and what your rent or mortgage payment is. Not to mention, they want all of your income information, including child support and other things, in excruciating detail. (They are not allowed to get this info from the IRS, thankfully.)

The ACS and Census Bureau claim that this information is necessary to help "planners" determine what is best for us. I disagree. I find this survey to be unnecessarily intrusive, an invasion of my privacy. I have refused to complete any section of it. I'll complete the regular census form in 2 years, as I am obligated to do constitutionally. But this survey is nonsense. I am a law-abiding private citizen. The federal government has no right to this information about me; I don't care what kind of benefits I may receive or what kind of threats may come my way. This is not the behavior of a government that respects the rights of its citizens.

I'm told that the ACS will call lots of times and pay a personal visit (maybe more than once) but then will leave us alone. So I've been tracking this on my blog. So far, we've received an additional survey in the mail, but have not received harassing phone calls or visits. If you are interested in learning more, visit my blog at http://rationaljenn.blogspot.com and search on the category "You're Not The Boss of Me." I have several posts about our experience with the ACS, links to the ACS and links to other websites that have more information about it.

Thanks! Hope I wasn't too ranty, but this thing just really irks me! :)

~Jenn

As a family history buff, I cringed when I read your title line. I totally understand your wish to be private, but PLEASE fill out the basic info when the 2010 census questionnaire arrives. Things like your names, the number of kids, level of education, etc., are invaluable to family history researchers. In generations to come, you will be "missing" to your genealogically-inclined descendants if you don't fill out the basics.

There's no need to fill in income, etc., if you're worried about its privacy. Bear in mind, though, that census data is not made public for seventy (70) years. So, unless something unethical happened, your information will be private until you are very old.

Just my .02,

Lisa

who's still searching for many family members who somehow eluded the census takers in in the early 20th century...