Menu

What are you using for Math & Why

my4boysmom

We were using MUS Beta and it was confusing my 9 yo. He got behind while we were unschooling. Not a big deal since he seems to catch on pretty quick. He got lost in PS with carry overs for multiple digit in adding so I bought MUS thinking he needed a different approach. He didn't do well at all. I taught it a different way and he caught on, now we are trying to learn subtraction (regrouping or borrowing) and I didn't know what to buy. I kind of like Math Mammoth. Any other suggestions? Any great websites to suppliment? It's nice to see him catch on so quickly.

Anyone use this and if not what do you use?

BTW he is already catching on with multiplications. I would like to use LOF after we master the multiplications or TT.

My dd is only 6 but we have used Horizons for two years and love it. We will continue with it until we out grow the program.

It is simply put together and each lesson builds on the previous, but not in an overwhelming manner. There is a lot of review but spread out so it doesn't seem like all work is review work. This has really helped her take a concept and run with it. Things like money boggle her mind but as we worked through the K book she slowly caught it more and more. I like it because I don't have to overly worry about a concept that isn't sticking because it will come up again later.

Hope that helps, Good Luck on finding the right program.

After using various math programs over the years (Abeka, Miquon, Singapore, Saxon, MUS, Making Math Meaningful...and a few others I'm sure) we have settled happily with BJU for the past three. It's a traditional, what I would call, semi-mastery program. It's solid. I have nothing whatsoever bad to say about it. ;)

Edited by Melissa in CA

First, I used Cathy Duffy's books to determine my child's learning style. Then, I read in her book which curriculums were better for that learning style. That narrowed it down to 3 options. I went to a hs fair and looked through each option thoroughly and chose the one I thought would be best for us. We used MUS from K through Algebra, supplementing along the way with Singapore's Challenging Word Problems and LoF for extra word problems.

Guest 4boys

I am using Math Mammoth but we've only just started so I don't have a pile of experience to share other than my son seems to really like it so far. I like that it is inexpensive, it is mastery with some spiral, it teaches the metric system and has options for Canadian money instead of US (important because I am from Canada). Also, I like the idea that if he needs extra practice in any area, I can get cheap extra practice booklets in any subject area. Hope this helps.

We just switched to CLE and it seems like it will be a wonderful fit for us. We have tried MCP, Singapore, Horizons, and MUS, and finally found CLE.

Finally we have found a math program that doesn't end up with frustration and tears every day! CLE is spiral, so has some variety in each lesson, and we love the flashcard system they have set up. My 8 1/2 year old loves the speed drills (even though he thinks 60 seconds isn't long enough!)...he enjoys trying to beat his previous scores.

So far we love CLE Math! :001_smile:

My three daughters use CLE for math and my son uses TT for high school math.

I use it because we need a workbook style. Also, the spiral model seems to fit the needs of the kids better than the traditional or mastery programs. We have used Making Math Meaningful, Miquon, Singapore, Rod and Staff, and now CLE.

Jennie

We use Singapore. I really like it. It uses a concrete-pictorial-abstract progression to teach concepts. So, you demonstrate adding by using counters, choc. chips, whatever. Then the workbook has problems where you see the adding problem illustrated. They'll have a page where it shows the 4 boats plus 3 more boats to show adding with the symbols as well. Then they will have the symbol 4+3=_. This method has worked really well. They also have outstanding word problems and emphasize mental math so you're not stuck when you don't have a calculator.

Another reason why I like SM is that it is fairly inexpensive and they don't drill and kill.

HTH

I will be using Math on the Level when we start maths, because the order you do things is flexible and the way you present it can be tailored to any learning style. It's very real world based and has gentle, but persistent review.

Rosie

Singapore is our main math, and we also use Miquon and Rightstart.

I think I would consider getting the RightStart Alabacus guide (the $20 manual) and just hitting the concepts your dc needs and keep moving on in the math you are using.

My oldest has always used MUS and will continue with it until he's done. It breaks things down in a way that is easy for him to understand, math is not his strength, and mastery programs work best for him.

My other kids use RightStart. I LOVE this program. It's scripted and easy to use, it's fun and we learn new ways of looking at math. It's been the perfect fit for my highly visual 8 yr old who loves games. My 6 yr old is advanced in math and RS is a little slow for her right now, so she also does Miquon most days. The discovery method and playing around with numbers works well for her, as well as getting into concepts like multiplication and fractions that wouldn't be in most 6 yr old math programs. I really like Singapore but dd called it "the boring math" so I've put it aside for now, with the hope of going back to it after she runs out of RS and Miquon levels.

There are so many excellent math programs out there.

I really like MCP Math. I know some have switched from that, but for us it works. I like the presentation of the lessons in the manual, especially the teaching suggestions and the daily mental math warm-ups. Ds doesn't do well with distracting pages, so the two-color workbooks work well for him. I don't find them boring as I know black and white alone would be. Neither does he. I like the See-Plan-Do-Check problem-solving that you learn along. I'm not strong in math at all, so to have things laid out for me is nice.

I use Miquon as a supplement. I like the discovery approach and feel the need to so some hands-on at least. This program allows my creative side to come out as I come up with different ways to use the sheets. I use it sheet by sheet rather than skipping around. I just find it easier. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it as a main program (spine), but as a supplement it works wonderfully for us so far. Both ds and I like variety. I've also read Cathy Duffy's reviews and find that both ds and I are big-picture kind of people, and extremely similar learning styles. This works to my advantage.

Next year I'm adding Calculadder's daily drills (two minutes each) to the mix, as I want ds to have his facts down cold.

Well, I use MUS. So, I'm not much help. I don't teach it though. They turn on the DVD and do the problems. If they don't get it, they try again another day.

If they get it the first day they don't have to do all the worksheets. Just one new sheet and one review.

Teaching Textbooks for my two boys (my oldest daughter also used it when she was homeschooling). I love the fact that every problem is solved on the computer, should they miss one. It's completely self-teaching and that's worth every penny!

My youngest daughter is using Singapore Math in her classroom at school. She's a VERY visual learner and the colorful pages are a real plus for her!

Right now I use Abeka for 1st,2nd and 5th grade.......I switched from Saxon to Teaching Textbooks with my older one, for 7th. My 9th grader is still in Saxon...which he seems to like. Saxon now has a program very similar to Teaching Textbooks called Saxon Teacher...so I will probably be switching back to Saxon when more programs become available....right now I think only Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 are available for Saxon teacher. The cost for Saxon Teacher is considerably less than teaching Textbooks.