Menu

If your little kids LOVE science...

...what do you use?

I'm looking for something for 2nd grade. My kids loooove history (SOTW--we do many of the activities) and I want to find a science curriculum that reminds me of SOTW.

The science curriculum would need easy to understand books (or textbook) and lots of activities/experiments so my kids can fall in love with science, the same way they love history.

I'm hoping for responses from people whose kids can't WAIT to do science each day.

Thanks!

Edited by Garga_

We love Janice Van Cleave's books. She has them on most science subjects. They're cheap with lots of experiments and the materials can be bought at the grocery store or hardware store. We've done Biology, Chem, Physics and we're working on the human body now. We also have used Real Science 4 Kids and liked it but it was only 10 weeks.

We also supplement with Young Scientist Club kits once a month.

Check out Insectlore.com for some fun bug growing kits. We've tried earthworms and butterflies and had great results!

We really liked R.E.A.L. Science (read, explore, absorb, learn). The only problem is that they only have life, earth & space, and I think chemistry out now. No physics to complete the cycle. We used life and earth & space and loved them - and the kids retained a lot! Chemistry didn't come out in time for us, so I don't know how that one is.

I'd go with Real Science 4 kids. AND I would add lots of extra experiments from books like Adventures with Atoms and molecules and Physics for Everykid. This approach requires planning, but I have a science background so that's what I do.

RS4K has a program were you do one subject for ten weeks, with one experiment a week. If you want to do one topic a year you will have to do other readings. For that I might use Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia and The Way Things Work, plus whatever I grab from the juvenile nonfiction section from my library.

My first student was an early reader and very into science. There was nothing appropriate for him. I did Adventures with Atoms and Molecules experiments with him in first grade. We did Rainbow Science (middle school curriculum) in second grade because I really couldn't find anything. Had RS4K been published at that time I would have gone with that.

You should not that RS4K is strongest in Chemistry and Physics the author has a doctorate in Chemistry. Noeo may be better for biology although I have not reviewed. Noeo's author is a veternarian.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
We really liked R.E.A.L. Science (read, explore, absorb, learn). The only problem is that they only have life, earth & space, and I think chemistry out now. No physics to complete the cycle. We used life and earth & space and loved them - and the kids retained a lot! Chemistry didn't come out in time for us, so I don't know how that one is.

Physics is supposed to come out this fall...early in the fall, I hope!

Nature study--keeping a nature notebook, observing the natural world, etc. Dd made herself a kit with her Tasco microscope (glorified magnifying glass, really), a pair of tweezers, a small journal/tied-on pencil, and a small collecting jar, all put into a little, hand-sewn wallet she made. She goes out and collects flowers and rocks (and an occasional critter) and describes them in her book ("takes observations"). Cindy Rushton's Nature Study The Easy Way had a big influence on us here. (Has some cc)