Menu

Thoughts about getting an in-ground pool

My dh and I have been casually discussing the idea of getting a pool so I thought I would get some opinions. Our HOA does not allow above ground pools so in-ground would be our only option.

We are pretty conservative with our $ and rarely make luxury purchases, so this is a pretty wild idea for us, especially considering the high price tag. We have three kids ages 11, 10 and 5 who can all swim. We live in a southern state and a fair number of houses have back yard pools. But we also have a neighborhood pool to which the older two can bike when it is open. My kids are not the outdoorsy types, they don't care much for sports in general so getting them to play outside can be a battle. But they all love to swim and are on swim team. My husband likes to swim as well and would use a pool for exercise. I am not a water person, but I am the one who can't let this idea go.

Our general question is how much use would it get? Would the novelty wear off after two years? Do at home pools generally get used for many years? Would we regret spending so much money, or would we be thankful for the many memories made in our back yard? How much maintenance is involved? What is the yearly cost of pool upkeep? Anyone put in a pool and then regretted it?

We have no plans on moving by the way. We will very likely be in this house for a long time.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Juls

Get one, you wont regret it.

My main suggestion is, get a regular 'ole srectangle shaped pool. The sales guy talked us into a rounded pool and we have to special order covers and safely netting. Plus we also wanted to add an automatic cover and we just found out we cant because the shape of our pool and because we have a hot tub that waterfalls into the pool. The hot tub is in the way of where the cover would need to go.

If you can, add a hot tub near your pool. My kids would only last a little while in our heated pool if we didnt have a hot tub near by to warm up in. My kids can spend hours in the pool now.

I cant give you details on maintenance, or cost. My hubby takes care of all of that. We live on a windy sandy area and our pool is hard to keep clean. We have to vacuum it daily... it sucks, but all in all, it's worth it.

Make sure you remember add in costs of a pool fence, extra concrete work (for a patio for your lawn chairs) safety netting, and alarms for the gate and doors.

Jackie

We don't have a pool right now, but I can assure you I wouldn't think twice about getting one. If we had the money, we'd have a pool. And it would get used daily for years, that is a ceratainty. I guess you just have to know your family. I KNOW that my family would never tire of a pool. We had one at another home and loved it. I would rather have a pool then just about anything else you can buy with $30,000!!!!

Look into the vinyl-liner inground pools. They are significantly less expensive and the liners will last 10 years. Also, have a salt-water system put it; this will save you thousands since you won't have to buy chlorine, shock, and other chemicals to throw in the pool (with the salt-water system, the electric cell converts the salt water to chlorine gas right in the line. Cost of salt is approx. $40 per year for our 20,000 gallon pool. We used to spend over $500 per year on chemicals).

We love our pool. One thing I recommend - put the pool back from the house and fence it separately. We have a fence around our backyard and within that we have the fenced-in pool. This allows me to lock the pool gate if we have younger kids over.

We've had our pool for 15 years. Love it, love it, love it. The fun hasn't worn off at all, lol!

Ria (16 x 32 rectangular inground pool)

We love our in-ground pool. We still use it a lot and it's been well worth the money. My dh loves to swim - if he didn't want to take care of it - then maybe we wouldn't have it.

Yes, it can wear off in the teenage years. Pools usually wear off when the parents stop swimming. If you continue to use the pool with your dc, then I'm sure it will not wear off.

Although it was never a prerequisite for us, our last two homes had pools. The kids were too little for the first one, but in the summer, they are in it every day, all day (well, as much as I can be out there with them!!). So yes, it will get used. It's also great because we end up being the "hang out house" a lot of times so there are always opportunities for them to hang with friends. And I don't know why, but everyone seems to get along great in a pool.

As far as maintenance, it does take a full day to open and close the pool. DH and I do it, but you could hire someone for about $200. We vacuum weekly; takes about an hour. There are also automatic vacuums you can purchase (our old pool had one and it sure was nice!). Not sure how much they cost to put in though.

Chemicals--I never really added it up, but I'm gonna estimate it's about $400 for a season.

We, too, are in a southern state, albeit the northern part. It is really hot & humid here in the summer, so we didn't bother with the heater and regretted it. No one would add one after the fact~~~something about locating gas lines, etc. Despite the fact that the day & night temps got hot enough to open the pool at the end of May, all the rain made the water too cold for swimming. And in September, when the first cool night hit (i.e. about 70*), we knew we were done swimming. The pool cooled off practically overnight. Our swimming season got progressively shorter through the years, as we kept getting more and more rain in late spring and early fall. So....spring for that heater! And if you want a diving board or a slide, I'd vote diving board. We had a slide because diving boards scare me, and while the slide was fun, it wobbled when someone was at the top. Scary! Also, you have to clean it before use....uh...the birds like to sit up there and leave gifts. :glare:

I also second the salt water idea. We have three friends with salt water pools (we're in a new house w/o a pool now), and they all LOVE it. Even the kids say it's fine to swim in. I thought it was odd, but the kids say it's fine.

Have fun and go for it!! I miss my pool. I liked to sit by it and look at it. I didn't swim in it much, but I sure miss it!!

When we lived in Florida, we always had a pool. We bought a house with one already in first. When we moved, we put one in. I really, really miss it.

Up here in NC, I just don't think we would get the use of one unless it was heated. Heating is expensive.

I would say yes! If it's warm enough where you live and you can afford it, you won't regret it.

Up here in NC, I just don't think we would get the use of one unless it was heated. Heating is expensive.

I would say yes! If it's warm enough where you live and you can afford it, you won't regret it.

:confused:

We live in Massachusetts and our 13 yr old pool has never been heated! It's in full sun all day and gets nice and warm in July & August.

Interview, interview, interview builders. We bought a house with an inground pool 5 years ago. The liner failed this spring. It will cost SEVERAL thousand dollars to repair. The reason it failed was poor construction in the first place. IT should have lasted several more years but it didnt.

We have an inground pool and it is a lot of work for my husband. He does have alot of health problems and we have 5 children so time is limited. I probably would not put one in but I am thankful we have one. We don't go to the beach or public pool so I am thankful we can swim. It is relaxing for me because I can sit on the side and rest!! :-) The children have a ball swimming and I can see them all, and be assured that they are not getting into mischief. We are in the Northeast and a pool doen't impact the value of your home either way here. Our neighbors filled theirs in a few years ago.

I grew up in S. California and we moved just to get a backyard big enough for a pool when we kids were 14 (moi), 12, and 10. Ta ht pool got daily use during warm weather! Almost every house had one, too. Just about everyone also had traditional kidney-shaped pools - I can't think of anyone with a rectangle. We had the cover that looked like bubblewrap - it really warmed the water! Also the octopus pool cleaner - note, pool equipment needs to run several horus a day to clean and filter the water and it does make a loud hum/buzz. Our subdivision sounded like a swarm of bees most days.

Just make sure you have a fenced yard so no tiny tots fall int he water (many places require a fence around a pool and check with homeowners insurance as a pool is an attractive nuisance.

I love swimming. I love hanging around a pool. I don't want a pool in my yard.

As an adult the reasons I would not have a backyard pool are:

1. maintenance. I don't want to take care of my yard, much less a pool. I was a lifeguard for a few years and had to do pool maintenance. I teach swimming now, but don't have to maintenance. I never want to do pool maintenance again.

2. liability. Check with your insurance carrier. Besides fencing for people who are not supposed to be in the pool, you need to consider how you will handle pool parties (hire a lifeguard to come) and what are you going to do about safety if your house is the neighborhood hangout. You may have confidence in your family, but you cannot know how strong in the water every visitor is going to be.

For me there's also a social aspect to the neighborhood pool. I liked hanging out with friends at the pool as a kid. You could stay all day. Some kids would come and go throughout the day, but there was always someone to play with. Today, I like going and seeing some of my neighbors--it's still a social place for me. I remember some neighbors getting a pool and dropping their membership when I was a kid. Their children had fun the first couple of years, but I distinctly remember one of the girls saying she missed seeing everyone at the big neighborhood pool.

If for some reason I ended up with a pool in my backyard, I'd want to be in a Florida or some state where everyone has a pool and having some guy come and take care of it for me doesn't cost much because he's stopping by the whole street that day (like trash pick up, my sil has this for her pool, she lives in Burbank, CA). I'd want salt water. I'd put in every safety device imaginable (it doesn't matter that your 5yo knows how to swim , b/c he has all the judgement of a 5 yo and you don't even know how well the neighbors kids swim). And for me I'd want one those ad on current machines so I could do "laps" without turning every 3 strokes b/c a backyard pool is not big enough for laps.

We moved into a house with a pool 3 years ago and love it. My kids and their friends swim all summer long. It is so hot in TX that some days it is the only outdoor activity that they get. Even though our pool is not heated they swim from end of April to early Nov.

I second the salt system suggestion. My poor dh used to spend hours and hours on the weekend and hundreds of dollars in chemicals maintaining our pool. He could never get the water perfectly clear. Two years ago we switched to a salt system and it has made a big difference. No more chemicals, his maintenance work has been drastically reduced and our pool is always sparkling.

Also if it is in your budget you might want to consider added a jucuzzi. We heat ours on special occasions, (Thanksgiving, New Years) and love going in it as a family. The other feature that I love is we have a little water fall from the jacuzzi to the pool. Nothing special, just a little stream of water, but the added water noise makes our backyard so much more enjoyable. We sit outside at night all summer long.

Lastly, keep in mind that putting in a pool may increase the value of your house. So even though it is expensive you might get some of the money back. Our pool is very basic yet our house sold for more than our neighbor's home which is larger and nicer than our house.

My husband and I have been reading each post and digesting your opinions and experiences. Thank you all!

A salt water system is a definite for us because I have one child who is sensitive to chlorine. How much maintenance do these system entail?

Also any other opinions on pool heaters vs solar covers? My backyard is in full sun from about noon until six pm and we live in southeast VA.

And a special thanks Betty and kdneo for your dissenting opinions. We need to consider this decision from all sides. Maintenance and safety are big concerns for us. We would still be going to our neighborhood pool quite a bit because that is where our swim team meets, so I don't think we would miss out much on the social aspects our our neighborhood pool.

Juls

I saw this post earlier and have been debating whether or not I should post. My husband is a licensed Landscape Architect and, in addition to other things, designs custom swimming pools.

The best advice I can give you is to shop around when it comes to pool companies. Some work in cooperation with a landscape architect and others don't. I am almost certain that they all hire out for the actual digging of the pool. If you find one you think you like, make sure you check their references.

Interview, interview, interview builders. We bought a house with an inground pool 5 years ago. The liner failed this spring. It will cost SEVERAL thousand dollars to repair. The reason it failed was poor construction in the first place. IT should have lasted several more years but it didnt.

:iagree:Do not let a pool company try to talk you into a vinyl-lined in ground pool without talking to several different pool companies. Depending on your site, these are NOT always the least expensive way to go. If they are not installed on an appropriate site, the site hasn't been graded properly, or they haven't been installed properly you can be looking at MAJOR headaches. Everything from rain water run-off, to cracking of the liner.

I also second the salt water idea. We have three friends with salt water pools (we're in a new house w/o a pool now), and they all LOVE it. Even the kids say it's fine to swim in.

A lot of my husbands clients are going with this feature. It is much easier on the eyes. As for the cost, I really don't have a clue.

The other thing you need to consider, now that a lot of counties have changed their regulations for these kinds of things, is whether or not you need to have a grading plan done for the county that has been sealed by a licensed landscape architects or engineer. I know in Fairfax County, that any work that disturbs a certain percentage (I don't know what the % is, I've just heard dh talking about it) of the land, requires either an LA's or engineers seal.

A pool can be a wonderful thing, just make sure you do your homework first.

My husband and I have been reading each post and digesting your opinions and experiences. Thank you all!

A salt water system is a definite for us because I have one child who is sensitive to chlorine. How much maintenance do these system entail?

Also any other opinions on pool heaters vs solar covers? My backyard is in full sun from about noon until six pm and we live in southeast VA.

And a special thanks Betty and kdneo for your dissenting opinions. We need to consider this decision from all sides. Maintenance and safety are big concerns for us. We would still be going to our neighborhood pool quite a bit because that is where our swim team meets, so I don't think we would miss out much on the social aspects our our neighborhood pool.

Juls

Our solar cover is heavy and is a pain to put on & off (our pool is 16 X 42 ft) but well worth the bother. I take it off and it's a big lump on the side of the pool. My dh puts it back on at night. Like I said before, we get FULL sun all day. We don't have many leaves so that makes maintence MUCH easier. If we run the filter for 6-8 hrs/day my dh only has to vacuum it every other week (once it's been cleaned up for the season); he pours liquid chlorine in it every other day (cheapest way to clean it) - he chose to do it this way instead of time released tablets.

Our pool/ fence area is attached to the house. You open the back door and are in our pool area. Our pool was installed 12 yrs ago when my younger ds was an infant. Back then the back door locked from the inside with a key so we didn't worry about dc going out without knowing it, and IF they did they were SPANKED (it happened only once). Now, we have an Anderson backdoor that is takes a bit of strength to unlock (in case we have little visitors which is rare). We use a safety cover when it's not in use (Sept. - May).

Yes, do be careful! My 2 yo nephew drowned in my sister's above gr. pool when her 15yo dd was babysitting (the ladder wasn't flipped up).

If you have the chance, you might consider getting a salt pool rather than chlorine pool.

We loved our pool when we had one. We currently don't have one and don't know how we will survive the hot humid summers here in AR. My kids were in the pool every day. Plus it was neat to be able to invite friends over to swim in the pool. That way I knew where my kids were. The only drawback in that is that I felt I needed to be a lifeguard to ensure than no one got hurt when other kids were over. Some of our neatest family memories was playing volleyball and other games with the family in the pool. Plus it is fantastic exercise for the kids (much better than video games).

Regarding maintenance, it's not that bad. One helpful hint, is to use baking soda (you can buy the big bags at Sam's club). Once you have your chemicals right, the baking soda helps the chemicals do their job and keeps them in balance.