Menu

WA WTMers Get-together on Thurs. 5/21

Jean,

I've decided that if I try to make it out that way, I'll be trying to squeeze in too much. :sad::sad::sad:

I hope you try it again soon--it sounds like so much fun.

And Coulon park...oh the memories. That was the destination of choice when skipping school. And those statues of the walking women? At least one of them has worn my bra (unbeknownst to me--it was kidknapped). :tongue_smilie:

We'll be there- I have a car full of bubbles and kid toys I forgot to set out at the party last weekend. I probably won't be there right at noon for lunch after all- I need to save my pennies so we can eat at Folklife Festival this weekend.

Thanks for ordering the nice weather, Jean!:001_smile:

Well, others have thought that I was in England and Australia so I'll add Delaware to the list! I think wherever there was coal mining there is a Newcastle!

One interesting history thing I remember from school was learning that Renton was actually established and big before Seattle was because of coal mining.

I had a great uncle who was a coal miner. He lived to his 70's or 80's, all his coal mining friends died young from the black lung. He had a bunch of great coal mining stories, I now realize they were somewhat embellished, at the time I thought they were true and he was the greatest uncle ever. (He was still pretty cool and was definitely my favorite uncle to visit.)

One interesting history thing I remember from school was learning that Renton was actually established and big before Seattle was because of coal mining.

I had a great uncle who was a coal miner. He lived to his 70's or 80's, all his coal mining friends died young from the black lung. He had a bunch of great coal mining stories, I now realize they were somewhat embellished, at the time I thought they were true and he was the greatest uncle ever. (He was still pretty cool and was definitely my favorite uncle to visit.)

Every year at "Newcastle Days" - a small community festival at the end of summer - there is a display of old mining stuff put out by our local octogenarian former miner. My kids love to look at the equipment and ask him about it. Of course it is the old mining equipment - complete with a canaries' cage!

There is no way we are going to make it. I still have about 4 loads of laundry to wash before I can pack. I can't do it tonight because the kids have lessons tonight. We leave tomorrow morning so I really have to get it done.