Menu

Extra Curricular Activities for high school....

Dh and I have been talking to our soon to be 9th grade boy about choosing an extra curricular activity. Everything we told him about he doesn't want to do it. He is one of those kids that would love to just stay home and play on the computer. We are only talking about 1 activity.

We do plan on him helping with VBS this summer and possibly help with a Sunday School class this fall.

We told him about speech/debate club (NCFCA ??) and he doesn't want to do it. We would love for him to do it just for one year. He is adamant that he doesn't want to do it. We bought up swim club and that is a no. We bought up basketball and that is a no.

He said find something with aerosoft guns. I do not know anything about it. I do know that our local 4h has a great gun program that is run by a local cop.

We are stumped now as to what to give him. He is really pulling his teeth on this in wanting to stay home and play on the computer.

HELP!!! What are your kids doing that will count as an extra curricular activity?? Anything so we can figure out what actually counts as an extra curricular activity.

Thanks!

Holly

My high school age son is on the Junior Olympic track/field team. It is a wonderful program. You could see if there is one in your area. I think this is the last week for sign ups (at least here).

He also is doing an "apprenticeship" type thing with his dad. He was to be a business major, so my husband (as a business owner) is taking him to work with him some.

4H has lots of different kinds of groups. There are so many, surely he could find one he liked.

One of my older sons was involved with Civil Air Patrol. It is a very good program as well.

Dh and I have been talking to our soon to be 9th grade boy about choosing an extra curricular activity. Everything we told him about he doesn't want to do it. He is one of those kids that would love to just stay home and play on the computer. We are only talking about 1 activity.

We are stumped now as to what to give him. He is really pulling his teeth on this in wanting to stay home and play on the computer.

HELP!!! What are your kids doing that will count as an extra curricular activity?? Anything so we can figure out what actually counts as an extra curricular activity.

Thanks!

Holly

We have major issues with the boys wanting to play computer/video games all day long every day. For our minimum requirements... each child must do one physical activity and one other activity along with RE classes. The physical activitiy must be one that gets them moving and exercising.

For 8th grade Dd... she does Kung Fu, music, and skateboarding lessons in summer.

For 8th grade Ds... he does Kung Fu, bowling league, scouts (currently in-active in scouts). He plans to do something involving science/math (maybe robotics or math club). He is also going to learn to play the piano.

4th grade Ds does Kung Fu, bowling league, and scouts. He wants to start football so we are looking into that and he wants to quit scouts. He will probably join band at school next year.

2nd grade Ds he does Kung Fu, bowling league, and scouts.

Makes it easy enough having all four kids doing Kung Fu as they go together for most of the classes. Only Dd goes more as she competes. Plus it is only 1 1/2 miles from our home so if needed the older ones can ride bikes.

The boys go to bowling once a week (right now they are on break until summer session starts in June). Sometimes they do bowling tournaments too.

We let the kids pick their activities when all possible for Dh and I to accommodate their interests. Oldest Ds isn't

thrilled with Kung Fu but so far he hasn't come up with an acceptable physical activity.

The do volunteer service through RE as well as scouts.

Anita

For anyone who loves to play video games, try to find a camp on video game creation. My older DS is taking a two week high school (deluxe) video game camp at the local community college. He has taken the various courses in game creation (beginner, advanced, intermediate) and loves it. The programming is amazing and he is learning so much by the hands-on process. He is excited about creating his own games. There is so much in this field - animination, digital photography, comic book digital creation, claymation, digital movie making, etc. See if your local CC has this available.

My younger son is taking Digital Circuit Boards (Electronics) and Magnetic Levitating Car Design camp. These courses were offered by my local vocational high school opened to everyone during the summer.

Ask around in your area. Many courses are available but you need to search them out. I knew about the above by other Homeschool Moms who passed down the information. Good luck to you!

I think it is perfectly o.k. to say to your say pick one of the above options and you will do it. My son is like this. He didn't want to do anything. We said you will do debate for at least a year. After he started it, he loved it. Sometimes, they just need a push. It is scary starting new things, and meeting new people.

:iagree:Sometime you just have to give them the "I am the parent and love you very much. This( whatever activitiy) will fit your personality and you need to trust that we have you best intrests in mind. God does not waste anything, and you will grow through the experience of being nudged to try something new."

We told our son when he came home from a private school n 10th grade, he needed to do some physical activity and his little brother already took part in Taekwondo. We were convinced that our 14-yr old would enjoy it also and it would fit his personality. He really is not into sports or team sports. So we told him he had to do it just as he would have to take part in a PE class at public school. After one month, he loved it and now is only three levels away from a black belt. When we signed him up, I was second-guessing myself and prayed about it for quite awhile. God blessed the decision we made. As I said, it might not always work out so well, but nothing is wasted when God is involved. As adults, there are times when we need to do things we may not want to, but need to find the motivation in spite of our "feelings" about it.

Just be encouraged you know your son and this could be an opportunity for him to trust his parents. That is part of our job as parents, to walk along side, with encouragement and direction when our kids have none. I have four boys, so I know about video games and the struggle we face daily about how much time they can stare at the "box"!

HTH and blessings on your decision!

Any ideas for extras that don't cost anything? :confused: Dd loves drama, so most all funds (what little we have these days) will be going towards her drama group, and classes. I need ideas for a more well rounded experience. We are still waffling about high school, and I am trying to spend the summer exploring both directions in full.

Any ideas for extras that don't cost anything?

Reading and writing are popular here. The reading is inexpensive given the resources of the local public library. And blank journals or a ream of paper don't cost too much either!

Perhaps your daughter might try her hand at script writing which would augment her interest in drama.

Regards,

Kareni

My dd had a tough time choosing something, too. Sports are not her forte, so finally I settled on the rule of one hour physical activity a day before having any computer or free-reading time. It took a couple of weeks, but now she enjoys it.

This year she became involved in Teen Court and has loved it. It is through the YMCA, but you don't have to be a member of the Y to be involved. In case you don't know about Teen Court, the kids are given actual cases in which a teen has already been found guilty in a regular court, and has agreed to go to teen court rather than have the offense go on his permanent record. The teens at teen court try the case and decide on the punishment: minimum, maximum, or somewhere in between. The volunteers can be juror, attorney, clerk, bailiff, or, if a senior, even judge. It's a great program!

Dd also volunteers at the local library's summer reading program. Both of these activities have really boosted her confidence and helped her make friends in different circles than she would have otherwise.

I think it is perfectly o.k. to say to your say pick one of the above options and you will do it. My son is like this. He didn't want to do anything. We said you will do debate for at least a year. After he started it, he loved it. Sometimes, they just need a push. It is scary starting new things, and meeting new people.

Yes! We made our couch potato try a sport this year...a homeschool volleyball league, and it has been one of the biggest successes ever!

one physical, one music activity, & one social activity from each dc. And one of the chosen activities must be a "team" activity. I view these activities as important as our academics as they help to mold the adults my dc will become. My dc are involved in the follow activities:

17yod

Young Mariners

Venturer SeaScouts (including being a rep. on the regional venturer council & working toward the Duke of Edinbourgh Award & Queen Scout)

fencing (winters)

sailing (mainly summers)

flute

Band

SPCA (weekly volunteer)

volunteer monthly at a local island reserve

youth rep. on our communnity council

works at a holiday program (like a day camp) during the PS holidays

has a paper run twice a week

15yos

gymnastics (12 hrs / week)

coaches gymnastics (2 hrs / week)

SeaScouts, will move to venturers later this year

sailing (mainly summers)

Muoy Thai (Thai Kick Boxing)

plays a drum in the local Pipe Band

has a paper run twice a week

11yos

violin lessons

SeaScouts

sailing (mainly summers)

field hockey (winters)

gymnastics (6+ hrs / week)

Karate

swim lessons with the local HS group

helps dd with her paper run

volunteers at island reserve with dd

In the past our dc have played soccer and dd & ds#1 played field hockey for a few years, but when they reached collegite level the games nights clashed with other activities. Both ds are on the provincial gymnastic team.

If ds#1 had his ideal life his actvities would be limited to TV + video games. Dh won't allow Nitendo ( or anything similar) even in our house & TV is limited. We are very please with what our dc have gained through their activities & even ds#1 admits he enjoys his activities. We have found that screen-based activities are very addictive for some dc & encourage anti-social attitudes in our ds#1.

JMHO,

Edited by Deb in NZ

We do plan on him helping with VBS this summer and possibly help with a Sunday School class this fall.

We told him about speech/debate club (NCFCA ??) and he doesn't want to do it. We would love for him to do it just for one year. He is adamant that he doesn't want to do it. We bought up swim club and that is a no. We bought up basketball and that is a no.

He said find something with aerosoft guns. I do not know anything about it. I do know that our local 4h has a great gun program that is run by a local cop.

Thanks!

Holly

Is the computer the culprit? If so, I'd limit computer use to 4 days a week. The other three days will be boring without something to do.

What are his friends doing? My ds's are more likely to try something a friend is doing.

Some things I've just insisted on: You will join Toastmasters. Tough. You'll do it anyway. They haven't loved it, but they haven't hated it and have benefitted.

You will take an instrument. Which one is up to you. (I let one ds drop because he truly couldn't do it.)

Each ds has wanted to play a sport, but if they didn't I would insist on that.

I'm getting around to insisting oldest ds does some volunteer work.

Ex-curric someone in our family has done: drama workshops and plays, karate, baseball, music lessons, VBS volunteers, Meals on Wheels volunteers, Toastmasters, youth band, Odyssey of the Mind (a creative thinking contest for teams of kids.) You might also look at a robotics club.

Encouragement to you Holly! I think you and DH are absolutely right!

So, how do you get high school boys to do extracurricular? Well, mostly I just TELL our two boys they ARE going to do something extracurricular -- and if they don't choose it, I will. ;) Seriously, all of the things you listed sound great -- a variety of things, and all very interesting and with different groups.

One thought: both our boys (even the extrovert) went through a weird "isolating" time around age 12-14 -- probably related to hormones and starting to mature physically -- where they didn't want to go anywhere or do anything. So that might be coming in to play for your son. With our boys, I just made them pick something and commit to at least one regular activity to get them out of the house and spending time with other people once a week.

Whether they pick something or I "make" them try something (and I really haven't had to do that more than once or twice), we always discuss/agree in advance on the amount of time that they need to give the activity a fair trial -- for example, team sports usually last 10-weeks here, so they know they have to complete that length of commitment. When I made them do the Public Speaking class with our homeschool group, they knew it was for ten 90-minute classes, and that they had to make a minimum of 4 presentations. If they really hate the activity by the end of the agreed-on time frame, I don't make them do it again -- but I do encourage them to pick something else for the next semester -- or I get to pick. :tongue_smilie:

So far, they have chosen on their own:

- go to monthly fun youth (gr. 6-12) events

(things like bowling, miniature golf, laser tag, talent show, game nights, parties, etc.; all done under the auspices of our big homeschool group, planned and executed by the grade 6-12 student members of the Student Council)

- Student Council class representatives

(monthly group meeting and committee meetings to plan and execute all the fun youth events for the big homeschool group)

- Student Council elected officer -- Vice President

- Youth and Government

(1 semester of weekly 1-hour meetings which culminates in a fun 3-day trip to the state capital and participating in model legislation with high school students (public, charter, private and homeschool) from around the state)

- join local high school tennis team

(5 days a week for 10 weeks; both boys were on JV; both got to go to 2 away matches; both had fun and ended up with winning seasons)

- go to occasional airsoft events

(some of the events are organized by one particular friend, so it is a group of friends who all have airsoft equipment; some of the events are hosted by a local nearby church with a youth pastor who really enjoys airsoft; once they went to a paintball event they were invited to)

- weekly church youth group

(they enjoy seeing friends, playing 4-square or basketball, and really enjoy the youth worship/praise time; and they seem to enjoy the short devotional and Bible study time, as well)

Things we do as a family (not optional):

- assist in one of our church's Sunday School classes every fourth month

- work for the 5 mornings as part of our church's VBS program

- 20 hours of community service per year (what exactly we do, though is open for discussion)

- this year only: public speaking class through the homeschool group (I taught the class -- they had to take it; since they knew that teaching the class was all new, scary, and difficult for me, it helped them take the class, knowing we were all in the same boat)

Sometimes they are more motivated for an activity if they know a good friend is also doing it or if they can sign up together. For example, here, several of our boys' buddies were also taking the Public Speaking class, so that helped it not be so "torturous".

Another idea that helps here: I count a lot of these activity hours toward high school credit. For example, the airsofting events count toward PE. The Public Speaking hours count towards English credit (rhetoric and writing portions). Music or art lessons, practice and projects would all go towards a Fine Arts credit (if either were doing those kinds of activities). When they see how those help reduce how much school is left, they sometimes get more interested in those activities.

Also, it helps our boys if they know that the credit is NOT negociable (for example, PE credit is a must -- 2 hours a week minimum is our requirement) -- BUT, we DO allow them input into HOW they fulfill those hours. If, as it gets closer to the end of the week they are not fulfilling those hours, then they know they loose their option to choose and I choose for them -- usually make them keep me company to go swim laps or briskly walk the dog. :)

Now that they are 15-17, I think we are seeing them naturally more coming out of their shells, but also perhaps some of the "fruit" from having forced the issue of extracurricular: one son just volunteered to start *teaching* a Sunday school class every fourth month (WOW!), and the other wants to learn how to play drums so he can play in our church's youth worship band which leads Sunday morning worship once a month or so.

I let them know regularly how proud I am of them, esp. when they are trying something new, or when they "step out" a little and experiment. I also pray regularly that the Lord will reveal to them strengths and interests. We talk from time to time, especially over the summers as we plan the new school year -- what do they want to see included in their education; what interests would they like to develop (okay, that went over like a lead balloon this past year with younger DS, but older DS really considered it...)

Anyways, sounds to me like your family is on the right track Holly! Keep up that gentle encouragement and perseverance, with a little loving-but-firm-push as needed! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
clarification; fixed typo

:iagree:

Ds must choose something in the fine arts area (music, dance, art, drama, etc) and some physical activity (not a problem). My ds loves team sports, but some children are better suited to individual sports.

Wow! There are so many wonderful ideas here. I make up a list of what is available that I know of and he gets to pick. If he won't, I will.

My kids have done a lot of different activities.

You really have to first determine what is most

important to you as far as your child's goals.

Are you looking to spiritually equip. them, keep them

physically active, or is this mainly for social purposes.

I require my sons to be involved in the church, they are

typically in a sport, but I don't require, we've done music

lessons many years, and for social purposes we do various

co-ops, youth socials with other homeschool families,

and field trips.

Can't say enough good about Boys Scouts. They learn such good skills there and have an opportunity to really bond with dad on camping trips, etc. My son earned his eagle scout, and it has really been a blessing. He learned such fantastic leadership skills there.

My son has also done homeschool theatre, homeschool soccer, a Shakespeare reading group (makes Shakespeare so much more interesting). Maybe a book club with his friends.

4-H is also very good, my dd did that and loved it.

It is very important that they get out and get involved in some sort of outside activity. It really help when applying to college or applying for scholarships.

We have the opposite problem- too many extra curriculas.

I would limit computer time. I feel that although it can be creative, it also makes the rest of life seem a little flat and colourless and boring. It can also be an escape from learning to get along with people.

Dd14 has been refusing to get any physical exercise other than her once weekly gymnastics class. I made her computer time conditional on getting exercise and voila, she now gets exercise, even if its just taking the dg for a walk.

Dd14- piano, Scouts (which takes up most weekends too), an art class, a science class, and a debating class, as well as gymnastics.

Ds13- recorder, piano, Scouts, Science, gymnastics.

My son does not enjoy traditional sports,ie baseball, basketball etc. A couple things that he does that he really enjoys are Fencing and Karate. He also takes guitar lessons. The other thing we did as a family was join a gym. I take him about four days a week.

Maybe look in to fencing.

Have a good day!

Cornflower