Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Dec. 2017

Granny_Weatherwax

Restrictive diets suck :( I understand the whine btdt :( I'm so excited you might have figured out how to stop the migraines, fingers crossed that it keeps working for you....

I am doing ok. My thyroid has been good it is just the other stuff. Did they ever test you for Hashi's? You know it is hereditary!

Thank you soror!

I'm so sorry - I'm so behind on the discussion I don't know what other stuff you've been dealing with.   :blushing:  But I am sorry and I hope it gets better.  I did get a thyroid antibodies screening done on my own (couldn't get a doctor to order it, so just paid for it out of pocket) and that was within normal range, so I guess no Hashi's . . . yet.  But I do intend to keep a close eye on it.

Oh!  I had not thought about that, but yes it certainly does make sense.  I run on trails, which are uneven enough that I really have to pay attention.  I try very hard not to constantly keep my head and neck turned down to look at the trail (and look with my eyes only and not my whole head), but I'm not entirely successful.  That combined with the pounding does sound like a recipe for a migraine, doesn't it?

I must confess I'm not a huge fan of rowing, but since we have a rowing machine (my husband likes it) I should give it another shot.  I seem to be able to use the AMT machine (kind of like an elliptical) and the step mill at my gym without any trouble.  On both of those, the head/neck is in a neutral position.

I'm curious, do you find that biking is any better, or does the bent-forward-and-looking-up position also aggravate your neck and trigger a migraine?

Thank you so much for this information.

Re: Biking

There are good bikes out there that do not require the rider to be bent forward and wil keep you in a more upright position. Granted, you won't be winning any speed races with those bikes but they are comfortable and can go the distance.

• Like 3

Dare I post a goal? I didn't make yesterday's goals so the camper sits still closed up from the last camping trip (in Aug.) and the wreaths are not up. DGD asked this morning, "Are we ever going to celebrate Christmas?" Child, it's the 5th. I've got 20 days left.  :)  I really should get things going a bit, even if it's just the wreaths.

Today: complete the 5K  and (maybe) hit some tennis balls against the backboard or go do footwork drills. Make homemade soup for dinner. Drink water (my skin is dry and I can tell that I am dehydrated). I know I'll eat the last of the cupcakes today. That's a given. Should that be a goal? I can do that.  :)

• Like 7

Oh! I had not thought about that, but yes it certainly does make sense. I run on trails, which are uneven enough that I really have to pay attention. I try very hard not to constantly keep my head and neck turned down to look at the trail (and look with my eyes only and not my whole head), but I'm not entirely successful. That combined with the pounding does sound like a recipe for a migraine, doesn't it?

I must confess I'm not a huge fan of rowing, but since we have a rowing machine (my husband likes it) I should give it another shot. I seem to be able to use the AMT machine (kind of like an elliptical) and the step mill at my gym without any trouble. On both of those, the head/neck is in a neutral position.

I'm curious, do you find that biking is any better, or does the bent-forward-and-looking-up position also aggravate your neck and trigger a migraine?

Thank you so much for this information!

I have never really gotten into biking, as I basically live on the side of a mountain and I hate biking uphill, so I can't speak to that.

The rowing machine is painfully boring unless you save up all the chick flick shows your family won't watch with you (I have all boys) and row while watching an episode. So far, I have rowed my way through all of Downton Abbey and Poldark, and recently started Gilmore Girls.

• Like 4

Yes, I totally understand the restrictive diet issue. I've got a ton of food allergies, and am on a low-FODMAP diet to reduce abdominal pain and gas build-up. Your diet restrictions looks almost identical to mine. I'm not vegen, though, as I would have virtually nothing left to eat if I was. I have been vegetarian in the past. You may want to consider bringing in some protein items (eg. eggs and cheese) on a temporary basis so that your health doesn't suffer long-term. With no meat, nuts or beans, what are you eating in the way of protein? Your muscles, especially your heart muscle, need protein or they will suffer. 

I'm sorry you have to deal with this too, wintermom!  It stinks!  Sorry I was unclear about the protein source, though.  It's only a few beans (like fava and navy) that are off limits.  I can eat most beans, and I do eat pintos, black beans, chickpeas, or kidney beans daily.  Also, even though I can't eat tofu, tempeh, or miso, it turns out that edamame and soy milk do not have enough tyramine in them to be problematic.  So those are good protein sources for me as well.  

I have an appointment with a nutritionist later this month, though, because I wanted to be sure I'm getting adequate nutrition on this restricted diet.  She told me to keep a detailed dietary journal for a week or two before I see her.  So hopefully that will be helpful.

• Like 3

Re: Biking

There are good bikes out there that do not require the rider to be bent forward and wil keep you in a more upright position. Granted, you won't be winning any speed races with those bikes but they are comfortable and can go the distance.

That's a good point!  I've seen those, and even expressed interest once years ago, but my husband thinks they are silly.  :lol:  He's serious about his biking, so he wouldn't dream of compromising in that way.  But he's never had a migraine either!!!  :D  I wonder if there's a way to rent one to try it out for awhile.....

I have never really gotten into biking, as I basically live on the side of a mountain and I hate biking uphill, so I can't speak to that.

The rowing machine is painfully boring unless you save up all the chick flick shows your family won't watch with you (I have all boys) and row while watching an episode. So far, I have rowed my way through all of Downton Abbey and Poldark, and recently started Gilmore Girls.

The cardio machines at my gym are painfully boring too, so I hear ya!  I've been using my iPod to listen to romantic audiobooks to get me through it.  But the chick flick shows are a great idea too!  Thanks!

• Like 1

Hey everybody, hope y'all don't mind me jumping in. I've been following these threads. :)

3 months ago I restarted my fitness journey when I joined a martial arts class with my older son. I didn't expect to fall in love, but I did!! Also, I recommitted to low carb, whole foods eating. Right now I'm in the honeymoon phase because I'm seeing such transformation, but I know that I'll need some support when that doesn't always give me enough motivation or I plateau.

What's happened so far: I've gained/toned muscle (this is easy for me) and lost 1 1/2 inches off my measurements, 2 off my waist (this is NOT easy for me!)

What I'm doing: Martial arts classes 3x/wk, at home strength/bodyweight training, practicing martial arts forms, and sprints 5-6x/wk

Eating meat, veg, and fruit with a little dairy

Goals for December: Passing my belt test in a week and a half, keep working on moving from girl pushups to regular ones (UGH), build stamina on the punching bag, avoid the carbs my mom keeps offering/insisting on :)

Long-term I would love to see improvements with my sleep and PMS symptoms...a girl can dream, right?

Reading everyone's goals/progress is so helpful!!!!

Welcome! You sound similar to me. I started martial arts 2.5 years ago with my kids. I really didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want too but my DH kept pushing so I gave in. Turns out I absolutely love it and I go to as many classes as I can. Usually thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s 2-3 a week. During breaks from other activities I go more often. Good luck on your belt test!

• Like 4

I just want to thank you all so much.  Thank you for listening to me whine.  Thank you for the sympathy regarding the dietary stuff.  And thank you for the advice about changing my workouts.  You guys really are the best.  The support here is priceless.  

• Like 5

I haven't exercises since tennis on Saturday. I thought I had kicked the sickness, but it turns out it's hanging on a bit longer. I'm also having a colonoscopy tomorrow, so I'm in the preparation stage right now, trying to clean out the bowels. I'm waiting patiently by the bathroom, but not much is happening just yet. 

I'm playing tennis again this Saturday, so I"ll just focus on being ready for that. 

• Like 2

I'm also having a colonoscopy tomorrow, so I'm in the preparation stage right now, trying to clean out the bowels. I'm waiting patiently by the bathroom, but not much is happening just yet.

I'm playing tennis again this Saturday, so I"ll just focus on being ready for that.

Not fun at all. I hope everything goes well with nothing extra that your dr. needs to talk to you about other than its all good. Having something to look forward to can get you through a lot of tough stuff. Hope your cold gets better soon, too.

I am in kind of a funk yesterday and today and didn't exercise. I really do live in the wrong state as I hate being cold and it's cold here for 5-ish months of the year. Add in the reduced daylight and winter is tough for me. I think I need to find a new show that I'm excited about watching while I row because Gilmore Girls isn't cutting it yet. Maybe I'll rewatch The Crown to get ready for the new season in January.

• Like 3

Got myself to the gym today for the first time in months.I've been exercising at home, but with the shift in weather and daylight availability, I have needed to make the shift. Also, though I've been lifting weights at home, I've gotten a mental block about a lot of it so I'm just going to switch it up and do machines at the gym for a while. 

What was nice was that as soon as I saw the gym, I had a warm, happy feeling. 

At the gym, I did strength training upper and lower. No cardio other than a warm up. 

• Like 3

TodayĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s workout was karate class. I ate pretty well but didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t drink quite enough water.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure how tomorrow will go. DH has the day off work and we may go out for dinner. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m also not sure when IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll fit in exercise. Maybe a walk after lunch.

• Like 4

I did go to fencing yesterday, and I did 30 minutes on the bike today, although at lower intensity. For some reason the last two days I really want to curl up in bed and binge watch something familiar instead of working out or doing anything else for that matter. I tell myself that I need to hold it together until the tournament and then I will have a few days of vacation. We also practically stopped doing school, but to be fair, we started in June and didn't have any breaks to speak of. I am just burnt out.

• Like 3

We also practically stopped doing school, but to be fair, we started in June and didn't have any breaks to speak of. I am just burnt out.

This is me right now.  Thankfully we school year round and my older son has put in a solid year.  So I don't feel too guilty letting it slide a little.  Ok, I feel kind of guilty.  :)

• Like 2

Yesterday I ate pretty well, although I could have eaten a horse by lunchtime since my breakfast was a little lackluster and didn't have much staying power.  At least I didn't go crazy and stuck with the huge salad with sliced steak and avocado that I had planned. 

Workout-wise I jogged for about 15 or 20 mins, then did a short strength and martial arts routine.  Not as intense as I should have, probably, but yikes I was so tired.  At least I did my pushups!  I actually have an alarm set on my phone that periodically yells at me to do my pushups until I finally do them and shut it off, hahaha.

Hopefully I will get some exercise in this morning, before my MA class tonight, and hopefully I will drink more water and less coffee!

• Like 4

Yesterday was blah. I should have been a little less optimistic the beginning of my period always kicks my butt (next month I should just plan for that) but it wasn't as bad as usual- no real cramps, just hunger, and fatigue. I was starving too with not getting much to eat the day before. DD2 was sick yesterday too, she seemed better by the afternoon so hopefully, she feels good today. On the bright side, we are all caught up on school (we were a bit behind b/c ds' math class the day before). 

I actually slept last night without the use of ANY supplements, woot! Usually, my sleep is better after my period starts (due to the shift in hormones) so I skipped the melatonin hoping that would be the case this time as well, fingers crossed my sleep stays improved at least until ovulation when I'll be starting progesterone promptly.

Today my goals-

2 sets exercises

1 walk up and down the hill

The girls cooked last night, every other week I let them make something easy and not as healthy, last night was chicken wings and fries with a veggie plate. Both were baked so could be worse but not health food by any stretch. Tonight is my night to cook so food will be much better!

I haven't exercises since tennis on Saturday. I thought I had kicked the sickness, but it turns out it's hanging on a bit longer. I'm also having a colonoscopy tomorrow, so I'm in the preparation stage right now, trying to clean out the bowels. I'm waiting patiently by the bathroom, but not much is happening just yet. 

Hope it goes as smoothly as possilbe, I've not had the pleasure myself but it just doesn't seem like much fun!

I did go to fencing yesterday, and I did 30 minutes on the bike today, although at lower intensity. For some reason the last two days I really want to curl up in bed and binge watch something familiar instead of working out or doing anything else for that matter. I tell myself that I need to hold it together until the tournament and then I will have a few days of vacation. We also practically stopped doing school, but to be fair, we started in June and didn't have any breaks to speak of. I am just burnt out.

Girl, you need to schedule vacations. We didn't start until the beginning of July and we've had off a week for fall break and then for Thanksgiving and we'll take off a week for Christmas. It seems 7 wks straight is about my limit and I prefer 6! 

TodayĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s workout was karate class. I ate pretty well but didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t drink quite enough water.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure how tomorrow will go. DH has the day off work and we may go out for dinner. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m also not sure when IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll fit in exercise. Maybe a walk after lunch.

Good job on the water!

Yesterday I ate pretty well, although I could have eaten a horse by lunchtime since my breakfast was a little lackluster and didn't have much staying power.  At least I didn't go crazy and stuck with the huge salad with sliced steak and avocado that I had planned. 

Workout-wise I jogged for about 15 or 20 mins, then did a short strength and martial arts routine.  Not as intense as I should have, probably, but yikes I was so tired.  At least I did my pushups!  I actually have an alarm set on my phone that periodically yells at me to do my pushups until I finally do them and shut it off, hahaha.

Hopefully I will get some exercise in this morning, before my MA class tonight, and hopefully I will drink more water and less coffee!

Kudos on the exercise and good food!

• Like 4

Girl, you need to schedule vacations. We didn't start until the beginning of July and we've had off a week for fall break and then for Thanksgiving and we'll take off a week for Christmas. It seems 7 wks straight is about my limit and I prefer 6!

I did that when I was purely homeschooling, but this time there was an overlap between AOPS online classes and DD's community college classes, so I figured that if we are doing something anyway, might as well do more. She has her final tomorrow, but DS class starts on Monday. I did make sure that he did everything ahead of time, so we can have some time completely off.

I did it!  It was sooo good.  I swear something is different, and lately I look forward to going to the gym. 

:leaving:

Yay! I find that if I start working out at certain intensity 3-5 times a week, I get addicted to it. Skip a week or two, and it's a drag again for some time.

I didn't do anything yet today, but I wanted to share my happiness of the day. A few weeks ago when I was trying to set up a routine for extra work out at home, I tried doing pushups. After about three of them my elbow started clicking, after 5 it started hurting. Actually, that happened to both of them. I tried to do knee pushups, same thing. So I tried to adjust my form. It was better, but not quite pain free, so I kept playing with it for a few days, then just decided to go ahead with other exercises. Anyway, today I tried it again, and while the new form (which actually is the correct form as it turns out) is more difficult, I did 10 pushups pain and click free! And now that I think of it, my wrist didn't hurt either. So, double yay :)

On the flip side, I feel I am absolutely not ready for the competition this weekend. When I registered for it,  I for some reason thought that I would improve more.

• Like 4

I started out today doing so well: I rowed 10,000 meters, ate really well, was active, etc. Then I got some bad news around 6:00, tried to deal with the situation (poorly), and ended up eating more than 1 handful of gummi bears. Tomorrow is another day, but dang, I was doing so well for the overwhelming majority of the day.

• Like 4

PinkTulip, I'm sorry about your bad news.  Your gummis remind me of how, in old British mysteries, the person who's had a shock is always given very sweet tea.  I know when I'm stressed I crave carbs.  I hope today will be better for you!

OlgaLA, I would love to do pushups with no pain or clicking.  How'd you tweak your form?  I'm trying to keep my elbows in and wrists under shoulders but it still huuuuurts. 

• Like 3

I can't remember if I exercised on Tuesday. I'm thinking a big no because I worked until quite late and then was busy at home. Yesterday, I did play tennis but it was easy tennis and I don't consider that exercise at all. My eating wasn't too bad yesterday.

Today is a new day and I must press forward. I will try to be intentional and mindful today.

• Like 5

I can't remember if I exercised on Tuesday. I'm thinking a big no because I worked until quite late and then was busy at home. Yesterday, I did play tennis but it was easy tennis and I don't consider that exercise at all. My eating wasn't too bad yesterday.

Today is a new day and I must press forward. I will try to be intentional and mindful today.

Even "easy" tennis is exercise. Think of all the body parts used and the skills needed: hand-eye coordination, arm strength, leg strength, core strength, whole-body coordination and timing, agility, balance, etc. It's a LOT all packed into one activity.  Of course, intense tennis is going to be a more intense physical work-out, but "easy" tennis can be an amazing mental work-out if you are intentional about proper footwork, technique, stroke selection, ball placement, etc.  And in the winter, I think any and all tennis is a huge bonus!  :hurray:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

OlgaLA, I would love to do pushups with no pain or clicking.  How'd you tweak your form?  I'm trying to keep my elbows in and wrists under shoulders but it still huuuuurts. 

I did push the elbows in. It was an extra effort to keep them there. And the arm moves in a different plane. I really don't know how to explain that, but it felt different. Also, it didn't hurt too bad to start with, I just didn't want to hurt it more. Two other things I did was doing other strength training exercises with dumbbells, which might have helped with holding the joint in the right position, and taking glucosamine. which definitely helped with the wrist pain.

I started out today doing so well: I rowed 10,000 meters, ate really well, was active, etc. Then I got some bad news around 6:00, tried to deal with the situation (poorly), and ended up eating more than 1 handful of gummi bears. Tomorrow is another day, but dang, I was doing so well for the overwhelming majority of the day.

It happens, just concentrate on doing great job most of the day!

Easy tennis is still tennis, and definitely exercise!

Went to my last fencing class yesterday, and did relatively well. Now the competition and then vacation. Will probably not see the club till the end of December. I'll try to concentrate on strength and cardio during this time, we'll see if it works :)

• Like 4

My legs ached all darn day.  Grumble...

Today is my day off from the gym. 

Think of the muscle you are building... and 

Bonuses: 

When you tear up your muscles with strength training the muscles send out  a hormone that calls out the "clean up crew" to come get rid of the torn up stuff and do repair. 

The bonus is that the clean up crew is not just for the specific muscle but is body wide. So if you have some cells somewhere that are starting to go rogue, the clean up crew will be on it. 

The other bonus is the clean-up crew works in the brain as well. It's one reason they believe strength training has been shown to impact memory,, working memory, and executive function. 

Cool huh? 

• Like 4

Yesterday with a little bit of a rest day for me.  I had martial arts class in the morning, but it was a fairly moderate class.  I was pretty sore from strength training/jogging and it was a rare cold & rainy day here, so I mostly took care of housework / my work-from-home job instead of trying to get in any more serious exercise.  Eating was just fair as well (PMS ugh).

Today my goals are to get in a good bodyweight session here in the house since it's still raining (normally I exercise outside), stick to my eating plan even though I'm kind of burned out on food prep, and GET SOME SLEEP.  I feel like that one should be my only goal!

Good stuff: I measured myself yesterday and have lost another 1/2 inch.  *does a dance*  Also, I have earned 2 out of 3 stripes needed to qualify me for next week's MA belt test.  I'm recording this here so where I get discouraged later I can remember how good it feels to get results...

• Like 4

I did push the elbows in. It was an extra effort to keep them there. And the arm moves in a different plane. I really don't know how to explain that, but it felt different. Also, it didn't hurt too bad to start with, I just didn't want to hurt it more. Two other things I did was doing other strength training exercises with dumbbells, which might have helped with holding the joint in the right position, and taking glucosamine. which definitely helped with the wrist pain.

Sounds like the things I'm trying.  Whenever I take a break from pushups and use other exercises, it definitely helps.  When I go back to it, eventually the tendons get too tight or something and start clicking over the joint.  Ow.

• Like 2

Kudos Olga on the push-ups!

(hugs)

I'm not feeling well (just hormone & other crap I think), revised goals is to keep my head above water and hope to feel better soon.

• Like 3

Yesterday was a better day, thankfully, and I was able to deal with some of my stuff in a much more productive way. My eating was on point, and although I didn't formally exercise, I did hit 10,000 steps, so I'll take it.

Today I am going to row and really be conscious about my eating. Weekends are often when things start to go off the rails.

• Like 3

Yesterday was day 2 this week at the gym and I got a strength workout in but no cardio. 

I was supposed to meet a friend there today but she cancelled and it's snowing and wet-cold outside, and that is just not my kind of walking or running weather. 

So... I am sitting around trying to figure out what I can do to get at least some cardio in. If a kid were home, I'd ask them to set up the Wii-Fit. There are a couple games on there I like to play, but I haven't done that in months and don't remember how! I need my "IT" guys home!  So I guess it will be dance videos. I'm typing this so I will do it. Otherwise, I'll sit on my bum. 

ETA: I danced for about 45 min. at a moderate intensity. 

Will still need to do my flexibility, but given the circumstances, I am quite glad I was able to motivate myself to do the dancing. I am thankful for this group because it's easier to type it out than to do it, but once I've typed it out, I feel much higher motivation to get it done!

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 5

I've met my minimum goals for strength-training and cardio this week, so unless it snows enough for outdoor sports, I think that rather than do a full strength-training/cardio workout I will just make this a day to focus on cleaning and Christmas prep, but with exercise breaks every hour. 

• Like 4

I've been doing well this week, but today is hard. 

We took our 19 year old cat in and put him to sleep this morning. He was my first baby, and he was my cat; he tolerated the kids and DH, but he loved me. 

All it makes me want to do is stuff my face with chocolate; DH is in charge of lunch, so it's frozen pizza. I'll get back to tackling the diet tomorrow I guess.

• Like 1

We took our 19 year old cat in and put him to sleep this morning. He was my first baby, and he was my cat; he tolerated the kids and DH, but he loved me. 

All it makes me want to do is stuff my face with chocolate; DH is in charge of lunch, so it's frozen pizza. I'll get back to tackling the diet tomorrow I guess.

:grouphug:  So sorry you had to say good-bye to your furry first baby. It is very hard. Be gentle and forgiving with yourself. Hugs.

• Like 1

:grouphug:

• Like 1

This week was okay. I got in two sessions of weight lifting and 1 of running. Running is tricky in the winter because if i want to go twice I need to get up very early on Thursday. This Thursday I didn't sleep well the night before and had lost my belt that holds my phone. Getting out of bed and running around an indoor track without music or an audiobook sounded awful. So I slept in and that may have been the better choice.

My goal for eating is to only eat treats one day a week. This week I had book club and had some treats there. I also have an event on Sunday with treats, but Sunday is a new week, right? St. Nicholas came this week and gave me Rolos, but I saved them in a bag and hid them to eat another week. Then I told my husband where they were and now they're halfway gone and in a new hiding place. 

I think next week I will try to push it to 3 lifting sessions and 2 running. We'll see how it goes!

And BeckyJo, I'm sorry about your cat and hope you take it easy.

• Like 4

Tennis was fun tonight. My ladies partner and I rocked our match. Then I played mixed doubles with my dh and I totally tanked. I made so many simple errors. I'm thinking it's related to the fact that I've not done more than walk around the house or lay in bed all week. I'm just thrilled I could hold it together for the first match this evening.   It's frustrating to be sick. 

• Like 3

Fencing was fun yesterday, but not fun at all today. Started competition feeling off, a bit dizzy and shaky. Fenced terribly, but finished it. Still felt bad, stopped by the medical booth. Turned out my blood pressure was through the roof. Spending the evening in emergency room :(

• Like 1

Fencing was fun yesterday, but not fun at all today. Started competition feeling off, a bit dizzy and shaky. Fenced terribly, but finished it. Still felt bad, stopped by the medical booth. Turned out my blood pressure was through the roof. Spending the evening in emergency room :(

Olga I'm so sorry to hear this! I'm glad you sought help and hope everything will get sorted out.

• Like 1

Yikes! So sorry! ER is bad enough. ER away from home? 

However, I am glad that they caught it. Take care.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I checked out the one class I was interested in at my gym--the Latin dance----and good golly. It was as a remembered. Who would think that Latin dance could be boring?  But yeah. 

So I am resigned to the treadmill. But that is boring, too. There is nothing to look at out the window but the trunks of some pine trees.  :001_rolleyes:  Even if I play games with intervals, etc. it will be torture. 

I need music. I am a tech Neanderthal. Ds installed Spotify on my phone but I don't know how to use it!  Not even sure that is the best thing to use anyway. 

What do you do for music while exercising? 

• Like 3

So, after 5 hours in ER I was discharged with diagnosis dizziness. According to the doctor, they can tell the reason for it in less than half the cases. The blood pressure dropped enough while I waited that they didn't feel comfortable giving meds, but it was still ER high when I came in. U bought the monitor, and today it's fine. If I didn't go to the med booth, I would have just slept it off. I don't even know what to think about it. Several days of stress?

• Like 1