Menu

help . . . talk me down - UPDATE: in first post

gardenmom5

my grandmother used to lay guilt trips that sent postcards - so, I can still be prone to them.

so - please help.

1sil dropped by.  fine, no problem.  we get along fine. 

shortly after arriving, she said how 2sil told her she could come to her thanksgiving (14 adults, 8 children), but not her kids. she was fishing for an invitation, and even commented when none was forthcoming.  2sil is one reason I don't host thanksgiving anymore - but on this I fully agree with her.   I'd be happy to host 1sil, not her kids. actually - I'd be happy to host three of her four children.   he would be the only who also doesn't have anywhere to go for thanksgiving.   

If it was only her (or even any of the other kids) - I'd add another place, no problem.   her son .. . no, just, I don't want to *have* to "handle it".

I'm feeling guilty because I won't invite him, and it's making me anxious.  please help, talk me down.

eta: spelling

UPDATE:

wow, just . . . .wow.   1sil's son "B", just sent an email to dh and 2sil's asking if they could stop by after dinner for dessert to visit with everyone. :ohmy:    ANY remaining guilt I was struggling with about not inviting them to dinner . . . just flew out the window.

dh and I agreed they could come by friday afternoon/evening for dessert.  there is even some precedent for this - as there have been a couple times when 1sil's kids did come by for pie on friday.  

my girls won't be there, as they both live elsewhere. 2dd isn't even coming from texas.  

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

oh my, I could have written this except it's my aunt and her only son.  I love my aunt.  We all love my aunt.  Everyone who knows my aunt loves her....  but her son...shivers...

You do not have to do it...and you shouldn't feel guilty.   (says the lady who guilt's herself into invited unwanted cousin every stinking time..)

hugs... and don't feel guilty.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

oh my, I could have written this except it's my aunt and her only son.  I love my aunt.  We all love my aunt.  Everyone who knows my aunt loves her....  but her son...shivers...

You do not have to do it...and you shouldn't feel guilty.   (says the lady who guilt's herself into invited unwanted cousin every stinking time..)

hugs... and don't feel guilty.  :grouphug:

I'm sorry if you invited your cousin.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

thank you everyone.  it's helped.  talking to dh about why this bothered me so much helped.  working through that she was engaging in trying to make me "feel guilty for not inviting her and her obnoxious son" in an attempt to manipulate me and "make me do what she wants" (which she frequently, and resentfully, accuses her mother of doing) - was helpful. 

being able to dissect the behavior - and "see the manipulation" through each step along the way, was helpful.

now, I'm just mad that she tried to make me "feel bad" becasue no one wants to spend thanksgiving with her son.  his ex-wife dumped him for a reason.

• Like 2

she lives in a condo her children have provided for her. only two children live in the area, and her one married local child, is doing something else.  so, it's just her and divorced son.  they will probably do something themselves.

if I wasn't so fed up with his behavior,   (and after years of hosting dh's family) - it wouldn't be an issue.

I'm sorry if you invited your cousin.  :grouphug:

This year I didn't... but I also didn't invite my aunt  :crying:   It's really the best way to deal with the situation.   However, her son now has (another) live-in girlfriend.  She has her own kids and I'm assuming they're planning their own Thanksgiving.   The nice thing is that GF is very kind to our aunt.  

• Like 1

Why doesn't she cook Thanksgiving for her own family? Then her son would be guaranteed a place at that table.

I was wondering this too. Her kids are adults or close to it--maybe it's time for her to move to being the hostess for her own family?

ETA: Sorry--didn't see your other post until after I wrote.

Edited by Jaybee