Menu

What kind of car do I want?

PinkyandtheBrains.

I am in the market for a car. For now I am not interested in cost. I want to know what’s out there. My current cars are 1997 and 2000 vehicles, it’s been a while.

In my ideal world :

Primary wants:

Automatic

Decent gas mileage

Able to handle four seasons of weather well

Excellent safety ratings

Large enough to haul a double bass, but not large

Very adjustable seating at least in drivers seat

Secondary Wants:

Heated seats

Heated steering

Remote start

Blue tooth

Able to play music from device through car

Sirius XM

Leather seats

Spouse likes sunroofs

Re: the Double Bass Requirement....

When DD23 went to buy her car, she took along 4 saxophones, including her bari all in their cases to the dealer.  She and her boyfriend loaded all four into every car before she test drove it.  If the saxophones didn't fit - it was a deal-breaker.  She ended up with a Ford Focus because it held all four saxophones easily with room for passengers. 

I think the Focus is a tad too short for the double bass, but I know they fit into an older Subaru Outback fairly easily, but you lose part of the back seat.   That means there are probably plenty of cars for you to choose from out there it you look for ones with a split back seat where one side folds down flat.

My advice is to take that bass to the car dealer and practice before buying!

• Like 5

Re: the Double Bass Requirement....

When DD23 went to buy her car, she took along 4 saxophones, including her bari all in their cases to the dealer.  She and her boyfriend loaded all four into every car before she test drove it.  If the saxophones didn't fit - it was a deal-breaker.  She ended up with a Ford Focus because it held all four saxophones easily with room for passengers. 

I think the Focus is a tad too short for the double bass, but I know they fit into an older Subaru Outback fairly easily, but you lose part of the back seat.   That means there are probably plenty of cars for you to choose from out there it you look for ones with a split back seat where one side folds down flat.

My advice is to take that bass to the car dealer and practice before buying!

We currently don't have a bass. Long story as to why, but we will have one again after we get a car. I wonder if we can borrow a friends...

Consider the Prius V. It's bigger than the regular Prius. More of a wagon than a hatchback. EXCELLENT gas mileage. I bought a 2016 (regular, smaller) Prius back in January. I love it. I barely even have to factor gasoline into my monthly budget now--it's such an insignificant cost. But that Prius V is really nice and roomy. Tons of cargo space. I really, really, wanted the V, but I just couldn't afford it. But yeah, I think the Prius V checks off all your boxes--unless you are heck bent on AWD or something for snow. Then I'd suggest a Subaru Outback.  :)

ETA: Since you seem like the kind of person who keeps a car for a long time, you should consider reliability ratings. That's one of the main reasons I went with a Prius. It has exceptional reliability ratings on Consumer Reports. 

Edited by stephensgirls
  • Like 1

Subaru Outback.  Meets all the requirements. I love mine and it is older (06) but new ones have  more of the wanted features. Mine has heated seats, sunroof, leather seats and did have remote start (we got it taken out because don't need it here and too many times it was accidentally started. Since my is 06, none of the music things apply.  But newer versions do have those abilities, I believe,

• Like 2