Menu

Recommendations for someone pulling kids out

Can you help me think of websites and books that would be helpful to someone that plans to pull her kids out at semester?  They are K, 1, 3. She is starting from scratch as far as learning about homeschooling. I would personally love resources that talk about rich learning environments, classical, Charlotte Mason, that type of schooling rather than school at home type learning.  But there are so many websites and blogs and I would love some concise information that she could then explore in more depth.

Thanks

Probably her fastest place will be just to go to the shelf of books on homeschooling at the library and look through them. When she's done, she'll have a sense. Obviously connect her to the big catalogs (Timberdoodle, Sonlight, VP, etc.).

Personally, if that were my friend, I'd suggest she pull out the K5er NOW, get her feet wet there, and then she'll have that groove and experience to build on. Then if the K5er goes well, she could pull out the 1st grader at semester and pull out the 3rd grader at the end of the year. I know that's not what she's thinking. I'm just saying it would be something to consider. You'd get a routine with one, find your stride, then add the next, until you work up to the child who is most likely to be the least congenial. And maybe that gets the 3rd grader jealous so they're happy to come home. :D

• Like 1

Personally, if that were my friend, I'd suggest she pull out the K5er NOW, get her feet wet there, and then she'll have that groove and experience to build on. Then if the K5er goes well, she could pull out the 1st grader at semester and pull out the 3rd grader at the end of the year. I know that's not what she's thinking. I'm just saying it would be something to consider. You'd get a routine with one, find your stride, then add the next, until you work up to the child who is most likely to be the least congenial. And maybe that gets the 3rd grader jealous so they're happy to come home. :D

Interesting. I'd also recommend starting with just one kid, but I would start with the oldest (unless there was bullying or other problems with a specific one). I'd move from the hardest (effort/time) to the easiest in terms of time necessary per day.

Interesting. I'd also recommend starting with just one kid, but I would start with the oldest (unless there was bullying or other problems with a specific one). I'd move from the hardest (effort/time) to the easiest in terms of time necessary per day.

Personally, I would pull anyone getting sight words at school first because the guessing habits take longer to undo the longer you have been guessing.

• Like 2

Personally, for me when I pulled my oldest out, the most helpful resource was TWTM book. It gave me the confidence I needed.

Yeah, me too.  I just got a copy of TWTM from the library, pulled everyone out and got started.  SWB's podcasts were a huge help, too.

*shrug*    :001_unsure:  At the time, I had a 1st grader, Kindergartener, preschooler and a newborn.  Ah, those were the days.   :tongue_smilie:

I always tell new homeschoolers to not be surprised if the first year feels like a complete wash...and the second year is massive curriculum-hopping.  That was our experience.  By the end of the second year, I realized that I didn't have to follow "curriculum" or someone else's plans....we could do whatever we wanted.

Personally, I would pull anyone getting sight words at school first because the guessing habits take longer to undo the longer you have been guessing.

There were two reasons I pulled my kids out of public school and this was the #1 reason.  The entire class was memorizing those little booklets, yet my son did not know his letter sounds.   :confused:  It was disturbing.  lol

• Like 1

There were two reasons I pulled my kids out of public school and this was the #1 reason. The entire class was memorizing those little booklets, yet my son did not know his letter sounds. :confused: It was disturbing. lol

It is sad. I always warn my remedial group classes that their younger siblings may pass them up, and it is not their fault, but that it takes longer the longer you have been reading with sight words. it still hurts when it happens, but they deal with it better when they are warned of the possibility in advance. The 3rd grader in this case is probably not going to be much worse off with a delay of a few months, but the younger two, it could make a difference for, the less time they are exposed to the sight words the easier it will be to teach them.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. The books mentioned have been favorites of mine as well, though I haven't read the math one.  I will give her the link to the Teaching From Rest book club videos, too. Thanks for reminding me about that book. 

• Like 1