Menu

Starting over, language arts sequence

I get to start over and homeschool another child from the beginning which is really exciting.  If you got to start over from scratch and could buy whatever resources you wanted, what language arts sequence would you follow?  The main limitations are that I want to stay as secular as possible, but I don't mind bible passages that are treated the same as passages from other books or fables etc....and I prefer offline work overall...the fewer lessons requiring a computer the better.  I am leaning towards Logic of English Foundations then Essentials then maybe Write Shop and Analytical Grammar then the grammar recommended in TWTM to use after Analytical Grammar, I can't remember the name right now and I have no idea what to do after Write Shop if I use it????  Or maybe I could do something totally different???   Maybe FLL and WWE and WWS...maybe CAP W&R...I really don't know so I'm curious what others would do if they could start over with language arts from day 1.  

Really it's just for fun, since I never stick with plans I make way in advance anyway. I just didn't expect I'd get to homeschool again and I'll be starting from kindergarten so I'm having a lot of fun imagining what I'll try this time around. I'm curious what others would use.

I did this because my kids are 10 years apart and I get your excitement. 😠My first dc was rather gifted with LA and learned easily. My next dc has SLDs out the wazoo and needs all custom. So there is no one answer, only what makes it easy to facilitate the child.

I would encourage you to put your money into games and tech. Games build language and tech so he can get it out. But that's my kid. Maybe you'll have a kid who thrives on curriculum. 😀

Edited by OhElizabeth

With a neurotypical child I'd do exactly the same thing I'm doing right now:

Starting with reading and writing separately, going at own pace while developing the skills in other ways: puzzles, math, tweezers, painting, playground play..

Then moving to copywork, and then dictation added in with Dictation Day By Day.  Add in GrammarLand for an introduction to the parts of speech and physical representations with Montessori symbols.

Continue with ELTL until probably the last level, adding in WWS1 if necessary.

Possibly doing Excellence In Literature in high school while waiting for dual enrollment.

• Like 3

It's so hard because hindsight is 20/20. With one of my boys, I might tweak what I did, but my basic approach worked fine. For the other one, starting a more intensive O-G program sooner would have been a good thing. I'm aware of more options now and that would influence me, but mostly I think you have to teach the child in front of you.

• Like 1

With a neurotypical child I'd do exactly the same thing I'm doing right now:

Starting with reading and writing separately, going at own pace while developing the skills in other ways: puzzles, math, tweezers, painting, playground play..

Then moving to copywork, and then dictation added in with Dictation Day By Day. Add in GrammarLand for an introduction to the parts of speech and physical representations with Montessori symbols.

Continue with ELTL until probably the last level, adding in WWS1 if necessary.

Possibly doing Excellence In Literature in high school while waiting for dual enrollment.

I have to say I wish I had emphasized copy work and dictation earlier with my older son. He wasn't homeschooled until middle of 6th grade and I didn't learn the value of copy work and dictation for awhile after that. I'm definitely excited to start with those skills from the beginning this time around.

I started over recently. We did AAS, WWE, and FLL, happily with some condensing. Then couldn't find writing I liked until IEW SWI- A and SICC-A. Just started WWS. Grammar was all over the place, too. Now we are just going with our Latin, as ALL was a bust. We might revisit IEW for SICC=C at some point.

• Like 1

I'll get to start one from the beginning again in a few years. I'll likely use some of the same stuff... Like Singapore Essential Math K when she wants to "do school" at age 4. :P I have thought about maybe doing the reading program that goes along with ELTL, but I don't know yet. If she is an early reader like 2 of her brothers, I might not even need a reading program. If she struggles at all like her autistic brother did, I really liked R&S Phonics and Reading for him. So for that, I'll really have to wait until she's closer to school age so I can see what she needs in particular. She's not yet 3. I have some time.

With every child, I've used different things, often multiple things in the same year. :lol: I am not a stick-to-one-curriculum-for-12-years kind of person. Not at all. Each year, I look at the child and what they need and decide what I feel like using that would meet that need. :)

And goodness, I haven't even thought about what my middle two kids will use next year in 4th and 6th grades. I do have 9th grade mostly worked out! Starting high school for the first time got me excited, so I planned a wee bit ahead. Might tweak some based on where he is at the end of 8th, but I think the current plan is workable. :)

• Like 1

I'll get to start one from the beginning again in a few years. I'll likely use some of the same stuff... Like Singapore Essential Math K when she wants to "do school" at age 4. :p I have thought about maybe doing the reading program that goes along with ELTL, but I don't know yet. If she is an early reader like 2 of her brothers, I might not even need a reading program. If she struggles at all like her autistic brother did, I really liked R&S Phonics and Reading for him. So for that, I'll really have to wait until she's closer to school age so I can see what she needs in particular. She's not yet 3. I have some time.

With every child, I've used different things, often multiple things in the same year. :lol: I am not a stick-to-one-curriculum-for-12-years kind of person. Not at all. Each year, I look at the child and what they need and decide what I feel like using that would meet that need. :)

And goodness, I haven't even thought about what my middle two kids will use next year in 4th and 6th grades. I do have 9th grade mostly worked out! Starting high school for the first time got me excited, so I planned a wee bit ahead. Might tweak some based on where he is at the end of 8th, but I think the current plan is workable. :)

I never stick to one thing either as it seems like what works best keeps changing.  I'm hoping to try some new things with the new student that I never had a chance to try before though.  I think the idea of new books or programs when I thought I wouldn't get to do it again is a lot of fun for me LOL.  

Spalding until the child is reading well and has decent penmanship. Then Writing Strands, beginning with level 3 (not before the child is 8yo), then one level each year, . When the dc is 9 or 10, Easy Grammar. Reading good trade books.

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 1

Yes I think it was Stewart English I was thinking of, thanks!  That's so funny that he had you fooled LOL.  I'm so excited to see what this new kiddo ends up like academically.  I'm not rushing him of course; I don't believe in that since he needs as much time to play in the dirt and move rocks around our yard as possible, but I'm still excited to see what school is like for him.  He's so clever already but seems to be quite stubborn so who knows.  

I love FLL for their first English program, but I combine it with daily copywork (starting with letter review and then Bible verses).  Once finished with FLL 1/2  I enjoy Rod and Staff English/ The Good and the Beautiful Language Arts as my base programs.  My 4th born is my new 1st grader, and I am enjoying watching her reading taking off, and I plan to begin FLL with her at the end of this month.  I think some things are just fun to switch up though, so I always do a few little things different with each child.

• Like 1