Menu

What tricks/tips/small products make your life happier/easier

Ottakee

I know someone who did this with the TV remote. He attached it to the side table

I have my embroidery scissors attached to one of those ski-pass/id badge retractsble holder thingies, the other end attached to my end table. So easy to find.

The other trick I learned with stitchery is to get two of those rare-earth magnets and put them back to back on the stitchery fabric. I just have to fling the needle in its general direction and it scoops it up and I never lose needles.

Just thought of two more:

Custom fit weather tech floor mats in the van!!! Pull out and spray off every few months! Catches puke too! Amazing for a clean(ER) car.

DH has a clock that projects the time onto the ceiling. I hated it at first. Now I love to pop open one eye to see how much longer I have before my 4 year old comes in!

• Like 2

I love these threads! I always learn so much like I did from this thread.  Please link similar threads here!

Using a Handy Caddy under the Keurig which was hard to open where we put it (and still want it). I learned about it here. See link above.

Cascade Complete Katy posted about in that link above. Like she said, I don't want to think about the chemicals, but I enjoy clean dishes.

Tide and/or Kirkland laundry detergent pods. Yes, yes, I did live under a rock. These will go to college w/ ds. How easy to throw one in your laundry basket. Sorry, dd, who just graduated from college. I knew not.

Agreeing w/ all the votes for Amazon Prime which I has been helpful getting things to college kids and spoils me.

An Amazon Wishlist for printer info (see above re: college kids).  One list per printer and including the printer, toner cartridges, drums, etc. so I don't need to look those up or wait to hear what model it is. Thought of this myself! 

Touch lamps on our nightstands. Only Dh and I have them, but I should have thought of this much sooner than I did. No fumbling to find the switch and knocking over other items on my nightstand. Lights. Yay.

I love my clothesline for drying but also for the freedom it represents. I understand that HOA's exist to protect property values, but "property value" is a relative term. 

I use coconut oil like the dad from My Big Fat Greek Wedding used Windex. Seriously. 

The app Keep. Love this! No more paper lists. I can send it DH when he's at the store. I am sure there are newer, shinier, better apps like this, but for now Keep makes life easier. 

I reserve the right to add to this. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 1

Email shopping list.  Because for some reason this works for DH, and extensive prior experimentation has proven beyond all doubt that nothing else does.  

Saving for big bills in a separate checking account--things like property taxes, insurance, car repairs (we have very old cars), and gifts that don't happen every month but do happen every year need to be saved for.

Fitbit--Flex 2 with the bangle, because then I don't get the contact hives from the plastic band but I get step counts every day, and reminders to move every hour if needed.  Also, the fitbit scale.

Stocking a larder.  I have always liked having 'overflow' stuff, but DH wasn't sold on it until recently.  It's nice to never run out of essentials.  

Alhambra water dispenser at my office.  I was nuts not to have this for so long.  Icy cold and steamy hot good tasting water at my fingertips at all times.  WEP.

Attic fan.  This takes the hot air out of our attic space once it's cooled off outside at night.  Cheaper than AC and not as dusty as a whole house fan but it really takes the edge off even in the hottest weather.  This only works because it reliably cools off at night here.

• Like 1

Not a fun one, but one learned here nonetheless. Handing a sick kid a bowl instead of dealing with a trash can, or worse yet, trying to have them run to the toilet when a queasy tummy hits. All the summer camps have taken their toll with a couple of viruses. But having them carry a small bowl around takes a lot of the stress off. Particularly if you don't deal well with throw up and live in perpetual fear of puke. Even works for the car. Line it with one of the Puppy Pads mentioned upthread and it's even better. Comes in handy for throwing up OR for holding abundance of used Kleenex. Just buy a designated color in case you're squeamish like me and want these bowls to never be mixed with your other household bowls. :) 

Gross, but helpful tip.  :ack2:

Not a fun one, but one learned here nonetheless. Handing a sick kid a bowl instead of dealing with a trash can, or worse yet, trying to have them run to the toilet when a queasy tummy hits. All the summer camps have taken their toll with a couple of viruses. But having them carry a small bowl around takes a lot of the stress off. Particularly if you don't deal well with throw up and live in perpetual fear of puke. Even works for the car. Line it with one of the Puppy Pads mentioned upthread and it's even better. Comes in handy for throwing up OR for holding abundance of used Kleenex. Just buy a designated color in case you're squeamish like me and want these bowls to never be mixed with your other household bowls. :)

Gross, but helpful tip. :ack2:

Ours doubles as the popcorn bowl. :lol: Edited by Miss Peregrine
  • Like 1

My emergency bucket is a life saver. It is an icecream pail with a lid on it. You line the bucket with 2-3 layers of plastic shopping bags and then out some paper towels or napkins in the bottom. Add a 1/2 roll of toilet paper as well (just remove TP before using the bucket).

Then when you travel and someone gets car sick it makes a great puke pail. It doubles as an emergency potty. If you use it just tie up and bags and snap on the lid until the next stop where you throw the bags away. Then line it with fresh plastic bags and you are ready to go.

If things get really messy just throw the entire bucket away.

Works great as a puke pail in the house too.

• Like 2

My emergency bucket is a life saver. It is an icecream pail with a lid on it. You line the bucket with 2-3 layers of plastic shopping bags and then out some paper towels or napkins in the bottom. Add a 1/2 roll of toilet paper as well (just remove TP before using the bucket).

Then when you travel and someone gets car sick it makes a great puke pail. It doubles as an emergency potty. If you use it just tie up and bags and snap on the lid until the next stop where you throw the bags away. Then line it with fresh plastic bags and you are ready to go.

If things get really messy just throw the entire bucket away.

Works great as a puke pail in the house too.

Oh that's a great idea!!! I need to go buy a bucket of blue bunny this weekend! A lid would be so nice.

A plastic crate in the back of my CRV to keep small items from rolling around. 

Spiral notebooks - I used these when I worked to keep quick notes from phone conversations; summaries were entered into the computer log (this was a very long time ago). This year it has been invaluable in keeping track of phone calls and to-do lists as I worked through my parents estate. I also stapled business cards to it. I started a new one last year when I took over their finances. Now, it is almost full, but I'm also almost done! 

Reminders App - This has helped me keep track of errands, phone calls, packing lists, reading lists and so much more. I like that I can set a due date/time and my phone reminds me. 

Coupons - I have saved hundreds of dollars shopping sales and using coupons. My total amount saved for 2016 exceeded $900. I had a good stock of household basics because I stocked up when I could combine sales with coupons. For the past several months, this stock has saved an immeasurable amount of time and reduced stress in ways I could not have imagined. While circumstances dictated that I cut back on my bargain hunting due to time constraints, I had enough of a stock of needed items that I didn't have to run out to the store for little things and we didn't run out of needed items. My stock in now depleted and as my time constraints are easing, I am beginning to build it back up. Items that I keep on hand: paper towel, toilet paper, paper napkins, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes, dental floss, mouthwash, laundry detergent, tampons, pads, dish soap, hand soap, disposable razors, glass cleaner, contact lens chemicals, ziplock bags, foil, kitchen garbage bags, large garbage bags, allergy medicine, reflux medicine, ibuprofen, aspirin. 

• Like 2

I make a whole loaf or more of bread into sandwiches and keep them in the freezer and pull them out when I need to make a lunch for somebody. It makes it so much easier than making a mess on the counter for one sandwich. And basically I just add an apple or banana and carrots and lunch is good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

So fun! I have picked up some great ideas and gadgets (I had no idea sleep headphones were a thing, my husband might love those!).

La Croix makes me so, so happy. All day, every day. I have had a Sodastream in the past, but I was an original adopter and then Department of Transportation changed the rules and they could no longer ship the big canisters. 

Cold brew coffee

Telling my phone to remind me of something. I use that nearly everyday-from setting a timer to remind me to switch the laundry to the reminder that popped up this morning that reminded me to dole out Advil prior to the ortho appointment. 

I also love having my phone tell me how to spell a word. I have major spelling insecurities, although really I am fine. If I am writing something and I am unsure or it doesn't look right, I just ask my phone.

Being in the habit of walking every morning. It is just what I do. I never have to think am I going to walk (or run), I just do it. Sometimes I have to adjust my timing if I have an early appointment, but I get up and get outside every morning, first thing. 

Library Elf makes keeping track of what is on our multiple library cards much easier. My library does send a reminder, but Library Elf lets me schedule when I want the reminders and keeps reminding me until I have returned the appropriate item. It is also faster at telling me when a hold has arrived.

Mrs. Myers makes me happy when I clean.

I love my buckwheat hull pillow, even though I was sure I would hate it when it was first recommended. 

Amazon Prime is worth every single penny. I  :wub: Amazon Prime.

Hmm, I think that is all I have right now. I will keep thinking. 

Tell me about the buckwheat hull pillow.  I am in the market for a new pillow - we replaced all of ours recently, but I discovered in the process that I hate polyfill pillows.  Cannot do down for ethical reasons.  Not a huge fan of those memory foam ones that sort of stick in one position (plus I hate a hot pillow).

Gross, but helpful tip. :ack2:

Kind of in a segue with the other recent thread about "Do You Throw Things Out The Window": my sister was perpetually carsick and learned to throw up out the window when we were on one of our yearly car trips.

This might fall into the TMI category but I sort of think of it along the lines of a life skill.

Kind of in a segue with the other recent thread about "Do You Throw Things Out The Window": my sister was perpetually carsick and learned to throw up out the window when we were on one of our yearly car trips.

This might fall into the TMI category but I sort of think of it along the lines of a life skill.

OMGosh. Ds 9 did that today. He gets carsick on certain routes, not usually the one we took today. He was already hanging his head out the window and he had no time for anything else. Although I probably wouldn't encourage it all the time, I was thankful I didn't have to smell it today.

A laundry schedule and separate laundry bins in almost every room have tamed Mount Washmore for us.  We don't have to sort anything before washing; it's just a matter of looking on the schedule each morning and putting the contents of the appropriate bin into the washing machine.