What's with the ads?

Photo

Just Rage. Please send prayers/good thoughts for VIC homeschoolers...

16 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 LMD

LMD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2894 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:19 AM

Without writing an long rant, the department of education here in vic, aus, has absolutely no regard for homeschoolers.

"Parents have accused the Victorian Education Department of "whitewashing" sexual abuse after it deleted crucial information from their submissions to proposed new rules."

http://www.theage.co...518-gw806d.html

So people made written submissions about the proposed new regulations, the department stuffed up and published people's private contact information. The submissions were removed, the privacy issues fixed, submissions republished - with key parts conveniently deleted!

Oh, and the department will not listen to anything the 550+ submissions said, they are going to table the regulations as is and we are supposed to trust that their intention isn't to be heavy handed... here's a report from the last meeting they had with homeschoolers

https://home-ed.vic....meeting-12-may/

#2 Calming Tea

Calming Tea

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5437 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

This is extremely ans grossly a misuse of information! And also To protect their own system - this is so highly wrong!!!!

Praying for you guys.
  • LMD likes this

#3 mama25angels

mama25angels

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3985 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:04 AM

Praying for you all
  • LMD likes this

#4 Rach

Rach

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3319 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

So sorry! Saying a prayer.
  • LMD likes this

#5 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30462 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

Ugh!!!!  Dang that is so wrong!!!!   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• LMD likes this

#6 kbutton

kbutton

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

That's horrible!

• LMD likes this

#7 LMD

LMD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2894 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

thank you.

I slept on it and still woke up angry.

We have a member of parliament moving a motion in our support on Wed 24th. There will be a bunch of homeschoolers in the public gallery. We most likely don't have the numbers to stop this.

The home school community has been remarkably articulate and far too trusting in this whole process.

We have numerous problems with the regulations, but the two biggest ones are - in a nutshell - not being allowed to immediately remove your child from school, first you have to submit a year long learning plan and wait 28 days for approval (or not). Secondly, the regulations around this learning plan are deliberately vague and give all power to the whim of an assessor in the department. No recourse to challenge a decision. To this concern, the department asks us to trust their intentions.

here's a news story about the first privacy breach...
"Inquiry ordered over Victorian privacy breach involving vulnerable students"

http://mobile.abc.ne...754?pfmredir=sm

Edited by LMD, 19 May 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#8 Sadie

Sadie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21072 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

Sorry I have not kept up with what's happening in VIC. It's incredibly frustrating to be part of the third legal form of education, and be treated like...idiots? criminals? fools?

I am normally a rabid unionist, but the Teachers Union has a role to play in this - a rather large one. They are very anti-homeschool. It's unfortunate, as I know plenty of teachers who are quite comfortable with homeschooling.

I never feel much optimism in these issues. You are right in that the VIC community is likely to get steamrollered. 

• LMD likes this

#9 LMD

LMD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2894 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

yep Sadie, exactly. The irony is that ex-teachers are over represented amongst homeschooling parents.

The same old fear lines are being used, the all powerful and nebulous 'risk' covers a multitude of regulatory sins.
The newly appointed chair of the department is fresh from the board of dcs (where she left under inquiry), so yeah, we're all potential-child abusers too.
  • Sadie likes this

#10 LMD

LMD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2894 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

you would think that actually obstructing the legal process of tabling regulations would cause them to pause. But no, just last week they reiterated that they will be tabling them as is and insinuated that we're all overreacting!
  • Sadie likes this

#11 LMD

LMD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2894 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:43 PM

there is a change.org petition if anyone feels like signing it.

I doubt that it will do anything but it feels good to give a big middle finger to the gov. I'm totally mature.

https://www.change.o...medium=copylink

#12 Sadie

Sadie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21072 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

there is a change.org petition if anyone feels like signing it.

I doubt that it will do anything but it feels good to give a big middle finger to the gov. I'm totally mature.

https://www.change.o...medium=copylink

Signed and shared.

I don't know about VIC, but the other group in cahoots with the Teachers Union here is the Greens, also anti-homeschooling. Wouldn't be surprised to see Green hands all over this either...

• Rosie_0801 and LMD like this

#13 LMD

LMD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2894 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

thank you Sadie!

I totally agree with you. There were a lot of very surprised (and naive imo) greens-voting-homeschoolers. The greens have made it clear that they think we're all right wing fundamentalists. They don't seem to care about the left-wing, inner-city hippies they're alienating!

There are a lot of corrupt, sticky fingers here and I have less than zero faith in government departments' 'intentions'.
Censoring submissions is a step into crazy. Haven't they ever read 1984?!
  • Sadie likes this

#14 Sadie

Sadie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21072 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

thank you Sadie!

I totally agree with you. There were a lot of very surprised (and naive imo) greens-voting-homeschoolers. The greens have made it clear that they think we're all right wing fundamentalists. They don't seem to care about the left-wing, inner-city hippies they're alienating!

There are a lot of corrupt, sticky fingers here and I have less than zero faith in government departments' 'intentions'.
Censoring submissions is a step into crazy. Haven't they ever read 1984?!

I have had a lot of trouble even getting a straight answer from them on their policy re home education. And believe me, I've tried! 

Censoring submissions doesn't surprise me. 

• LMD likes this

#15 LMD

LMD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2894 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

people here have been trying hard too, most couldn't even get a meeting with their greens rep. They all forget that they represent us, not rule over us.
  • Sadie likes this

#16 Carol in Cal.

Carol in Cal.

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15409 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:49 AM

Job security for the teachers.  Corrupts everything here, too.

• LMD likes this

#17 Ausmumof3

Ausmumof3

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4294 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:11 AM

Wow! I've been avoiding reading about what's going on over there because I don't need any more angst in my life but that's really bad.
  • LMD likes this