Menu

Can I hear stories, outcomes, and plans for those who homeschool for homeschool?

Ack! I am still thinking of pulling my kid out of his school and would love to hear stories on how it is going and plans and any outcomes. He is doing well academically but the school is very demanding academically and uses most of his free time and then throw frequent episodes of colds, bronchitis, and pneumonia on top of that. 

It is intimidating the thought of homeschooling high school so I would love to hear any stories.

Edited by NoPlaceLikeHome

We pulled my now-10th grade DS out of his Christian school at the semester break last year (9th grade.) He had been homeschooled 2nd-6th grades, in Christian school for 7th & 8th and half of 9th. The Christian high school wasn't a good fit for him and our family for so many reasons and he asked to be homeschooled again. It has been awesome! Totally the right decision. For second semester last year, he just did the second half of the classes he had in school, though not with the same curriculum. I wanted him to have a full year of all that he had already started...Algebra 1, World History, Physical Science, etc.

• Like 1

Ack! I am still thinking of pulling my kid out of his school and would love to hear stories on how it is going and plans and any outcomes. He is doing well academically but the school is very demanding academically and uses most of his free time and then throw frequent episodes of colds, bronchitis, and pneumonia on top of that.

It is intimidating the thought of homeschooling high school so I would love to hear any stories.

After 4 years of homeschooling, my dd went back to public school. I'd love to have her back but she is happy. We have the opposite problem. I think the academics are too light and she has too much time on her hands (we just moved here and still trying to make friends). She is doing lots of volunteering though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Did you homeschool prior to high school?

Yes, we homeschooled for 4th grade and cyber schooled for K-2. I have been researching it for highschool. I guess I am intimidated by all that is entailed for homeschooling high school  for the college admission process. I have an idea of curricula we could use and extra curriculars but would still like to hear stories:)

After 4 years of homeschooling, my dd went back to public school. I'd love to have her back but she is happy. We have the opposite problem. I think the academics are too light and she has too much time on her hands (we just moved here and still trying to make friends). She is doing lots of volunteering though.

His school is the opposite problem with it being an AP test prep factory and he has been there over 4 years. Lots of good teachers and kids but the lack of free time is really bothersome to me. He has done well but was stressed end of last year and the year before. I hate to see him lose his childhood free time as a result of this school and the fact that the only time for exercise is when we walk to school for 35 minutes makes me nuts especially in light of multiple respiratory illness that past 2 school years.

What do you want to know? I have one graduated who is attending a highly selective uni (admission rate 8%) and have on senior who is currently applying to not as selective colleges. I used no correspondence school and no online classes. Most courses I did at home and designed myself; kids took some uni classes (DD took 5 semesters of French, 3 physics, 2 English, DS 3 English courses so far).

His school is the opposite problem with it being an AP test prep factory and he has been there over 4 years. Lots of good teachers and kids but the lack of free time is really bothersome to me. He has done well but was stressed end of last year and the year before. I hate to see him lose his childhood free time as a result of this school and the fact that the only time for exercise is when we walk to school for 35 minutes makes me nuts especially in light of multiple respiratory illness that past 2 school years.

I agree with you! Doesn't sound like the kind of life we want our kids to have.

• Like 1

This is definitely something homeschooling can solve. Even my academically very driven DD had time to ride her horse, to volunteer as a tutor, and for free pursuits, and DS is following a rigorous athletic training schedule and holds a part time job.

• Like 3

Sure. I should have clarified that:) Anyone doing high school at home is going to be a help to me:)

We did a partial year of high school at home last year. If your child has college aspirations, look up what colleges you are all interested in and what their admission requirements are. If your child knows what major they want, than look up those specific requirements. Also look up what the requirements are to graduate from high school are in your state. I put these side by side in a spreadsheet and then mapped out what subjects she would take each semester to achieve those requirements. We would choose the actual curriculum as we went but the subjects were figured out and their sequence. There's a book: Homeschooling and Headed to College that I learned this and other stuff from.

This spreadsheet is still useful to me now that my dd is in public school as it's our guiding plan when we work with the school guidance counselor to select classes.

There is lots out there for curriculum and home-created curriculum. Just as overwhelming in choice as the younger years. ;-) From distance learning with highly academic schools like Stanford online high school, to less academic choices like K-12 and others, to charter schools that do in class instruction for a few days a week and home study for the rest of the week, to creating your own eclectic mix of purchased curriculum (what we did), to creating your own curriculum following the passion of the child (we did that for science for one semester). I know kids have gone on to college using any of those approaches.

Each child is different. Some are interested in outsourced classes either locally or online. Some prefer to self-study. For some it depends on the subject. Your and your child's school life is better when you customize to the personality and interests of the child. As the student matures, your role becomes less about instruction and more about monitoring and coaching. Are they progressing? Are they on schedule? Are they learning?

You can create your own transcripts and there is plenty of information on the Internet on how. Or pay an umbrella/cover school to help you through it as well as serve as advisors on developing a 4-year plan and choosing curriculum.

I never intended to homeschool high school...too scary! But once I began educating myself and after putting together her first year of records, looking back we were pretty awesome ;-) My younger one will likely homeschool through high school and I am looming forward to it!

• Like 1

I homeschooled all the way through, so I can't speak to pulling a student, but my oldest is in his second year at college, and my youngest is a senior who will be heading to college in the fall. I know it all seems intimidating, but I just wanted to say, you really can do this and do it well. (It sounds like for his physical and mental health, it would be a good choice). This board is an amazing resource. Let us know how we can help!

• Like 1

My ds was homeschooled until third. Then I had to send him back to school. Pulled him out this year in 10th for many reasons, one of which is that he was not challenged in his private school. It was the best decision ever. Because we currently live overseas, he is registered with an accredited homeschool for record keeping purposes but we have the freedom to choose curricula- as long as they meet certain criteria. I also pulled out my third and sixth grade daughters because they had absolutely no free time and the education wasn't good. They're also really enjoying it. So am I. It was hard making the decision at first but I am so happy I did. The difference in quality of education, sense of responsibility, moral values, and the ability to lead a well-balanced life is great. Perhaps if he does take some online classes at first, it won't be as overwhelming and won't be as drastic a change for him and you. There have been great online recommendations on this forum. Wishing you the best.

• Like 2

Mine was homeschooled from grade 5 until the beginning of 10th. He returned to school for 6 months and I noticed a huge decline in his interest in learning. This was disheartening as I put so much into his learning at home. But he begged to come home again and his interest in learning has returned. 

• Like 3

The part that scares me is the college counseling part and college application part. The academics not so much since I have an idea that I would use a mix of Thinkwell, PA Homeschoolers,  maybe Kolbe and maybe WTM Academy as well as some Great Courses. For math Saxon and AOPS mix maybe-he has been using Saxon since Algebra 1 at his current school and is currently in the Advanced Mathematics book.

Does anyone use professional college counselors? I am so afraid of screwing up the whole college thing for him. Or any other ideas?: I do read the boards a lot too:)

If you pulled a kid out partway through school year freshman year would you include that in transcript? I am guessing yes. And what if those grades were not his usual A's but perhaps some A's, B's, and C's. Not that big of a deal is it? He would also have completion of Algebra 1 and 2 and the first half of Pre-Calc, Economics, and World History with a 4 on AP exam on his transcript from middle school from this same school with all A's. 

The part that scares me is the college counseling part and college application part. The academics not so much since I have an idea that I would use a mix of Thinkwell, PA Homeschoolers,  maybe Kolbe and maybe WTM Academy as well as some Great Courses. For math Saxon and AOPS mix maybe-he has been using Saxon since Algebra 1 at his current school and is currently in the Advanced Mathematics book.

Does anyone use professional college counselors? I am so afraid of screwing up the whole college thing for him. Or any other ideas?: I do read the boards a lot too:)

If you pulled a kid out partway through school year freshman year would you include that in transcript? I am guessing yes. And what if those grades were not his usual A's but perhaps some A's, B's, and C's. Not that big of a deal is it? He would also have completion of Algebra 1 and 2 and the first half of Pre-Calc, Economics, and World History with a 4 on AP exam on his transcript from middle school from this same school with all A's. 

I was scared of the college application process, too, especially since I did not grow up in this country and had no idea what an SAT was or how everything worked. This board taught me everything I needed to know.

It really is not that difficult, unless your kid shoots for an extremely selective school.

If you pull a kid out of school, you would need the high school to send the transcript for that portion, since , I believe, college apps require transcripts from all high schools attended.

• Like 1

What aspect of college counseling are you concerned about?

Making a selection for choice of college, financial aid, scholarships, transcripts, etc. It just seems like a whole lot of work for me:( I am not opposed to that but I know that I am woefully ignorant when it comes to college counseling.

I guess I really should not be making such a fuss especially since we live in DC metro area and actually would want to consider colleges where commuting is possible but also don't want to rule out big name schools since kiddo is pretty bright. We are definitely not bent on very selective schools but don't want to rule them out since kiddo took Algebra 1 in 5th grade at his school and is very bright in math, science, and language arts. But OTOH we also know he is not the of of his class since the kids he goes to school with are pretty amazing.

I just don't want to sell his opportunities short. Yet, I do realize if he continues at this school that he will most likely be burned out and not be able to explore his interests which I also think stunts his opportunities and robs him of his childhood.

Making a selection for choice of college, financial aid, scholarships, transcripts, etc. It just seems like a whole lot of work for me:(

Oh yes, a whole lot of work it is. The transcript is really easy though.

Choice of college depends on so many factors: student's prospective major, financial situation, location preferences. But keeping the kid in school would not absolve you of doing this research because you cannot rely on a school guidance counselor to select appropriate schools for every student. Even a ps student would have to do that himself.

Financial aid is often automatic. Best aid is from the schools. Best way to get aid is by stellar test scores. 

• Like 1

Just chiming in - my daughter has been in PS the whole time and we are knee deep in the college application process. It is exhausting, and she has done the majority of it - the school counselor has had to do very little besides upload the transcript and include the school report (which is just a less than one page document giving school statistics). My daughter has the rest to do herself.

Just chiming in - my daughter has been in PS the whole time and we are knee deep in the college application process. It is exhausting, and she has done the majority of it - the school counselor has had to do very little besides upload the transcript and include the school report (which is just a less than one page document giving school statistics). My daughter has the rest to do herself.

The one attractive thing about his current school besides the crushing amount of work, is that the high school is small and the college counselor is dynamic and they actually have a college counseling class that meets daily I think senior year that walks them through applications, essays, etc. The before that they meet at least weekly and so on. But I do think his health and happiness are worth more than this school.

I want to encourage you - the college application process is challenging but doable. I recommend that you make a list of a few representative schools - a public university, a liberal arts college, the best school you can imagine for your child, etc. Take a look at the admission requirements and think about what you would need to do to prepare your child - AP classes, extracurriculars, essay contests for scholarships, whatever. Yes, it will be a lot of work. But it may be the best use of your time over the next few years.

My children have had time for things like part-time jobs, art classes, debate, soccer. They have also had time to hang out with their friends, as well as time to just stare at the ceiling or watch some mindless tv or waste time online or write or draw or play Minecraft or - basically, enough free time that they never felt overwhelmed with life.

I've been homeschooling for 20 years and have graduated three, who all lived/are living at home and attended/are attending local schools. One went to a  LA college with a nice scholarship (at first, based on her SAT scores and then, later, extra $$ based on her excellent grades) and then got a Masters at a public university. The second just got her BA from the same public uni and received a nice scholarship for her 3rd and 4th years, based on her excellent grades. The third struggles academically and was not ready for college so she is taking a class for the high school equivalency test at the community college - and she is the top student in her class!

I have had to plan different curricula and jump through different hoops for each one. I hated every minute of the application/decision process for each one, but I loved the actual school planning/teaching/facilitating. It has been worth it. My older girls received an excellent education at home and were well prepared for college. We all agree that they were at the right schools and are happily working in their chosen fields. Number three is looking at art school and I think she will be very ready for it next September.

My youngest is a junior and we are just starting to look at colleges. Yes, I am dreading the applications and paperwork and scholarship stuff etc....but I truly believe that it is what my son needs me to do. So I am sucking it up  -  and so very glad that I will never have to do it again!

• Like 2

I also want to encourage. I am currently working with my 5th homeschooled sr. My kids run the spectrum of goals and abilities. Our oldest is a chemE. Our 2nd is disabled. Our third went the Allied Health route and is an OTA. Our fourth is attending Alabama on full scholarship and will graduate with his master's in physics simultaneously with his bachelor's in math and physics. (He took his first alg course in 5th grade, too. He graduated from high school with 3 post introductory cal physics 1&2 courses and 3 post cal 1&2 courses.)

My current sr is looking for large scholarships.

The biggest role as guidance counselor is creating a transcript, course description, school profile, and writing a counselor letter of recommendation. As far as researching schools and knowing what it takes for admissions, College Confidential forums are a great source of information, but don't let them skew your view of normal and avg.

• Like 3