Menu

Would you say something??

Moxie

Dd's dance teacher told the class of 20 pre-teens to go to the local dance shop, buy a specific item, bring it to dance and let the teacher see if it fits, return the item to the store and then buy it online because it is cheaper. I find that highly unethical and I will not be doing it. Should I say something to the teacher?

• Like 2

I wouldn't say anything. I would  keep the one from the local store and just give a talk to dd about why that's not an idea you support following. 

Wow, y'all are having all sorts of fun in the dance ethics department this year between the competition and now your instructor. Sorry- that stinks! 

It's just weird too. I mean, a good dance store employs people whose entire job is to help fit people. They're fit experts. All the dance stores we've ever been in - that's their main selling point for themselves at this point, what with discountdance and all.

• Like 1

Dd's dance teacher obviously thinks you have all that extra time to run around town like that! Why doesn't SHE buy several sizes at the local dance shop, let the girls try on, then return them herself? (not that I support this method.)

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't say anything. I'd buy the item wherever I wanted, and have a talk with dd about it.

Edited by MiMi 4under3

Yes, I would speak up in support of your local business & point out her method is unethical. It also, ultimately, hurts your local community to do business in such an unethical way (& may hurt her business down the road as well).

The teacher is a "local business" herself, isn't she? She should understand the concept of customer service & loyalty.

In addition to speaking up, I would send the teacher a link to information such as this:

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/trends-stats/the-buy-local-boost/

Also agree w/ a previous poster that the local store may give a discount to the students from your studio if a certain number of items are bought there, etc....

• Like 1

I would say something. She should know that you do not approve. This is going to take money from the store's pockets. I would also consider telling the store what is up. If the teacher is not the owner of the studio, I would consider talking to the owner.

I like the idea of giving the store a heads up.