Menu

Progamming: Scratch(MIT)? Then ...?

epi

DS10 was on the AoPS website and noticed they had some Python programming classes. (He's taking AoPS math classes) I know nothing about Python. I have only done programming in school courses many years ago using mainly Pascal, so I don't know these newer programming languages from more recent decades. Also I hadn't really thought about programming as a homeschool topic, until DS10 mentioned this Python class. He wasn't asking to take these classes (or any class) specifically. It was more a conversation starter about how he could learn about this topic.

Anyway, I thought it was a topic you could start on by "just playing around with it", and I'd heard of Scratch scratch.mit.edu so he made an account and has been playing around with it. I haven't really looked at what he's done yet, as in are the programs he makes just lists of instructions, or are there loops and if-thens etc, but I like the idea of just learning the general principles of programming, rather than any specific language (especially since I have no idea what programming languages are even used these days).

So Scratch seems like a good starting point, right? But any suggestions for how to proceed with other ways to learn about computing, in a homeschool environment, for a very mathy kid, with mathy parents who understand general theoretical computing and programming principles, but lack modern practical computing knowledge?

• Like 1

My dd used the book Adventures in Raspberry Pi for a little while, when she wanted to do something more than mess around with Scratch. It has projects for the device that use both Scratch and Python programming. It was a nice bridge.

https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Raspberry-Carrie-Anne-Philbin-ebook/dp/B00SEBB5LK/ref=pd_sim_351_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=61b3cpRDXYL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_OU01_AC_UL160_SR128%2C160_&refRID=5TF1GWZC33NERFJS6CHE

• Like 2

At his age, he is old enough to start on Python programming and Javascript if he is interested. There are beginner books available for both and he can play around with them until he is ready for taking an online or B&M class.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2

I just let him do whatever he wants that way. He went from Scratch to python, CSS, Java, C++ and HTML (he is telling me right now...I don't know anything about it).

DD9 did scratch for a little while, but for next year she asked if she could learn to code for Minecraft (Java). So we are purchasing some self paced classes for building Minecraft mods and then a Minecraft server. After that, whatever she's interested in.

This is great! Thanks for mentioning it. :)

DD9 did scratch for a little while, but for next year she asked if she could learn to code for Minecraft (Java). So we are purchasing some self paced classes for building Minecraft mods and then a Minecraft server. After that, whatever she's interested in.

Link?

• Like 1

A series we have loved here is Homeschool Programming.  Homeschool Buyer's Co-op runs frequent deals on that.  One kid did Java and then Android.  I plan to get the web design course for the younger kid. 

Every time I mention this stuff to my husband he suggests Python.  I know nothing about programming myself (he works in software QA and does some programming but that's not his main thing).  Python gets mentioned in a lot of places as a good first programming course.

My older kid has also spent a lot of time with Lua.  That might be of interest as well.  Here's a site to get started:

https://www.lua.org/about.html

My eldest, 8y in 2 weeks, has started Python a few weeks ago here https://www.techrocket.com/code/python-courses

For summer we got a book Python for Kids: A Playful Introduction to Programming

Prior this he spent a half year on Raspberry Pi and Scratch using a book Adventures in Raspberry Pi. Both books are quite easy, 

Minecraft is not popular with my kid for some reason and they don't want to do anything with it at all

Edited by rushhush08

Are the classes Youth Digital?

Funda Funda has Python classes too http://fundafunda.com/comp_courses  There are summer sessions. My son is waiting for more people to join the Gamestar Mechanic class so it will run. He has done all her scratch classes. This year he played with CodeCombat to learn Java more

Edited by summerreading
  • Like 2