Menu

My oldest used Sonlight's Book of Time (Timeline) when she was in Logic Stage & restarting her history studies from the beginning. I had picked it up really cheap in a box of never-been-used curriculum. My next two will be restarting history next year & I want to have them each keep a book.

Should I get them each another one? Is there something just as good / better for a better price? What's out there that you like?

I would at least look at or consider the Book of Centuries from Simply Charlotte Mason https://simplycharlottemason.com/store/product-category/product-history/(they have a newer one and an older one that is a free download)  and the Timeframe from Everyday-Education:  http://everyday-education.com/product/timeframe-the-twaddle-free-timeline-for-high-school-and-beyond/

(Caveat - these recommendations are coming from one who has never successfully completed a timeline, lol.  :D )

This is my favorite, but I have yet to use it. I'll probably buy one for myself at the conference this year.

Oooh. This looks nice. If you buy the hardcopy, they include the CD-ROM with the product pages on it? That would make it very economical for me.

My odd used a Sonlight one that I came across at a used sale that was new too.  It didn't have the timeline pieces, so we filled it out the WTM way.  For my next dd  I bought a blank timeline book for $10 from Miller pads and paper.  I just checked their website, and its one of their featured products on the main page.

My odd used a Sonlight one that I came across at a used sale that was new too.  It didn't have the timeline pieces, so we filled it out the WTM way.  For my next dd  I bought a blank timeline book for $10 from Miller pads and paper.  I just checked their website, and its one of their featured products on the main page.

I just took a look at the Miller one.  I don't see any images of the cover, but the book looks pretty sturdy and of decent quality.  The lines look pretty small space-wise.  Were they big enough to write in?  What does the cover look like?

Thanks!

"filled it out the WTM way" ?  could you explain what that involved?

Timeframe looks interesting. I haven't seen that one before. Is there a way to record people living at the same time? It says so on the website, but looking at the sample, I don't see how it would work.

Look at the sample again. Each coloured bar on there is a person. On the page, for a century, there are 35 or 36 lines. So there is room for at least 35 people if their lives were long enough in the century that there was no room for any overlap. You can have more people if some of the years don't overlap.

So you might have John Doe who lived from 1805-1842... and Jane Smith who lived ftom 1879-1943... they could be on the same line.

So you might have reasonably up to 40 people or so in that century. Plus the event lines.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Timeframe looks interesting. I haven't seen that one before. Is there a way to record people living at the same time? It says so on the website, but looking at the sample, I don't see how it would work.

Look at the sample again. Each coloured bar on there is a person. On the page, for a century, there are 35 or 36 lines. So there is room for at least 35 people if their lives were long enough in the century that there was no room for any overlap. You can have more people if some of the years don't overlap.

So you might have John Doe who lived from 1805-1842... and Jane Smith who lived ftom 1879-1943... they could be on the same line.

So you might have reasonably up to 40 people or so in that century. Plus the event lines.

I just took a look at the Miller one.  I don't see any images of the cover, but the book looks pretty sturdy and of decent quality.  The lines look pretty small space-wise.  Were they big enough to write in?  What does the cover look like?

Thanks!

Ours is pretty good quality.  It will last through 4 years of writing in it and throwing it around the living room with the other books during the day. :)

The cover is basically just cardstock.  My dd loves to decorate and personalize, so she painted it.  The lines in it are pretty standard sized, about the same as notebook paper.  ETA the pages are a thick paper too, not as thick as the cardstock cover, but a thinner cardstock. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

Thanks scoutingmom; I see that now. I have not been able to find any reviews or blog posts about this timeline.

I like the lifeline concept but think my son would prefer images. I may end up making my own hybrid.

No problem... I've been looking at this one too and may buy. I've been doing timelines with the kids using googled images etc... the kids give me a list.... but now that there are 3 students I'm finding it harder to do my part... and I'll have 4 students next year. We also had problems when the printer was out of ink etc.

My oldest 1 or 2 kids should be moving to a CM book of Centuries (we do CM) but I'm still tryinb to wrap my head around a century chart, and the 2 oldest I can't imagine drawing artifacts.... my 3rd would love it when she is a touch older...

I love where this thread has gone. Thanks to everyone for their ideas, links, comments and further questions.

I think I'm going to go with the Knowledge Quest one and then make a second from the CD ROM images. I like that it already has the numbers on the pages already. I also like that the price is right (CBD & Rainbow have it in print w/CD ROM for under $20.).

Many thank yous!

If you have a favorite & haven't shared it ... please do. I won't get around to ordering until I have some more stuff saved up (if I go through Rainbow) or a free shipping code (through CBD).

• Like 1