Menu

Why can I never upload a photo?

J-rap

I always need to Export my photos, and change them to .jpg format before they will upload.  What operating system (Mac or PC) are you using, and where are your pictures stored?  For my Mac, with pictures in iPhoto, I open the photo, then click "File" and Export.  I get a window that lets me choose .jpg format, and adjust the size and quality of the photo.  Size Medium works for most uploads.  

If you have a PC, I can't help you with particulars, but perhaps a Save As command would work?

• Like 3

Not sure what is going on here, but I don't think it is the Physical Size of the photo.  I believe it is the Quality of the photo, which results in the size of the file, in KB or MB. There is a way to reduce that Quality, after resizing a photo, but I  believe that will vary, from Photo Editor to Photo Editor.  Reducing the file quality to VGA, I think 640 x 480 should get the file size, in KB to be quite low and qualify for uploading to most web sites.

• Like 1

For photos I want to share, I have hubby upload them to Photobucket (since the pics are always on his computer) and then I can copy and paste them directly into a post.  You want to size them on PB and they don't have to be super small.

To copy and paste I need to be on that photo's page, not the general page.

• Like 2

I always need to Export my photos, and change them to .jpg format before they will upload. What operating system (Mac or PC) are you using, and where are your pictures stored? For my Mac, with pictures in iPhoto, I open the photo, then click "File" and Export. I get a window that lets me choose .jpg format, and adjust the size and quality of the photo. Size Medium works for most uploads.

If you have a PC, I can't help you with particulars, but perhaps a Save As command would work?

Thanks!

Dude, I have this problem ALL.THE.TIME.

Not sure if you have to be a member of this forum for X days to get permission to upload normal size photos, but mine caps out at 450 bytes. BYTES. That's insane! That's .45 kb. That's so tiny. All mine are jpegs. I end up putting them on photobucket. But I see other members attach normal size photos here sometimes. What are they doing differently? There's a picture of ice cream and bacon on another thread. It looks to be a normal photo, good quality.

I think I successfully uploaded a photo here once? And that was after tinkering with it multiple times and it was probably small when I was done. But since then I've been unsuccessful.

.45 kb is truly unreasonable.

• Like 2

Mine usually start as a jpeg, and then I go under Tools and then "Adjust Size."  I adjust it so that it fits the requirements (can't remember what they are at the moment, but it's very small! Although, I don't think it's as small as your requirements, heartlikealion!  That must be a mistake!).  By then the photo is so tiny, you can't even make anything out on it!  

So something in Shutterfly or Photobucket reduces the quality?

In any case, I'll try the suggestions you all gave.  I have a Mac.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Mine usually start as a jpeg, and then I go under Tools and then "Adjust Size."  I adjust it so that it fits the requirements (can't remember what they are at the moment, but it's very small! Although, I don't think it's as small as your requirements, heartlikealion!  That must be a mistake!).  By then the photo is so tiny, you can't even make anything out on it!  

So something in Shutterfly or Photobucket reduces the quality?

In any case, I'll try the suggestions you all gave.  I have a Mac.  Thanks!

The reason people use other websites is so they can bypass the uploading directly to the forum. You are uploading to the website and then simply linking. But to me that is more work sometimes because I don't necessarily want every image from my PC moved to my photobucket.

What does everyone else see on their reply feature??

"You can upload up to X bytes of files"

• Like 1

The reason people use other websites is so they can bypass the uploading directly to the forum. You are uploading to the website and then simply linking. But to me that is more work sometimes because I don't necessarily want every image from my PC moved to my photobucket.

What does everyone else see on their reply feature??

"You can upload up to X bytes of files"

Mind currently says I can upload up to 300 KB, BUT that is only because I went through all my old posts recently and deleted all the pictures that I had uploaded in the past.  The upload limit is a total for everything you currently have uploaded, not just for one post or one thread.

Try clicking (in the reply window) on My Media which is up by the smiley face.  Look under attachments and see what is there.  Unfortunately, I don't think you can delete the old attachments from My Media.  To do that you have to find them in the old threads and delete them there.

Wendy

Mind currently says I can upload up to 300 KB, BUT that is only because I went through all my old posts recently and deleted all the pictures that I had uploaded in the past.  The upload limit is a total for everything you currently have uploaded, not just for one post or one thread.

Try clicking (in the reply window) on My Media which is up by the smiley face.  Look under attachments and see what is there.  Unfortunately, I don't think you can delete the old attachments from My Media.  To do that you have to find them in the old threads and delete them there.

Wendy

Thank you!!

Yes, I have a few images there. But I have no idea what threads they are in. Sigh.