Menu

SAT scores are in

Dmmetler

I actually found out when I got an e-mail from the award folks at Johns Hopkins, because the SAT folks put her in as a 7th grader, but she's registered in 6th with JHU. I hadn't bothered to take what I needed to call in and get her scores.

She did extremely well on the reading and writing, so-so on the math. I think she got bogged down a bit in trying to solve problems and work them out, rather than working quickly, so I'm not too surprised. Her scores easily qualify her for classes and summer programs-for reading/humanities, she's qualified through high school :).

So, we're pretty happy.

• Like 21

She got a 6 on the essay, which seems pretty good to me-that seems to be what is considered a "solid" essay according to CB's rubrics. It's kind of too bad that the writing section generally doesn't "count"-because her writing score was quite good overall.

I expect we'll do the ACT as our usual yearly test this Spring, but I'm kind of glad we went ahead and did the SAT, just because she is a vocabulary nerd-and she had a chance to really show it on the SAT.  I'm guessing she'll do better on the math there, even though it's harder, just because it's a shorter test (and she won't have had the essay first).

No idea when we'll actually get the printed score report.

So, did she get what she hoped for?  IMHO, it isn't all that important right now, but it's interesting from the perspective of self-awareness and growth.  I know she was hoping for a particular cut.

Our older son did very well at math in 7th (made SET), but fell quite a bit shy on verbal (even with a huge vocabulary - comprehension pulled him down).  He was happy to just make the cut on one side.  We'll probably have the younger one take it in 5th or 6th.  It depends mainly on when he'll be mature enough to take the disappointment of not being perfect.  :)

• Like 1

Not quite-she missed math by enough to pull her composite down, and they don't count writing. But she's well over what she needs to qualify to take classes as a non-degree high school student locally at several schools, so she feels pretty good about that.

In some ways, she seems relieved to have an excuse to not apply. I think she may have been questioning whether she wanted to make the change, and is glad to have an excuse to try classes locally first. And she has time since they go by age grade. The friend she has attending started at 7th, so that's kind of been her goal-and she has another year based on age.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 3

I'm curious how they will adjust the admissions process for the new SAT...  I have hear JHU is not going to accept new applicants for SET this year.  Don't know if it's true, but it would make sense, since they no longer know how to scale.  I'm guessing the other program would be in a similar situation.

Btw, our older one missed the cut (for what you are looking at) by 10 points.  We probably wouldn't have tried, anyway.

• Like 3

I'm curious how they will adjust the admissions process for the new SAT... I have hear JHU is not going to accept new applicants for SET this year. Don't know if it's true, but it would make sense, since they no longer know how to scale. I'm guessing the other program would be in a similar situation.

Btw, our older one missed the cut (for what you are looking at) by 10 points. We probably wouldn't have tried, anyway.

I wonder why CTY SET doesn't accept ACT. Harder to differentiate at the SET level? Edited by madteaparty

I have hear JHU is not going to accept new applicants for SET this year.

I asked CTY for fun a few months ago and they say they don't have the guidelines for the new SAT yet even for the courses eligibility (not just for SET). So they are only looking at the SAT scores up to the Jan 2016 test date.

My oldest just turned 11 so we can wait and see what the new guidelines for SET are. He already qualified for all courses until 12th grade based on ACT.

• Like 1

I wonder why CTY SET doesn't accept ACT. Harder to differentiate at the SET level?

Nature of the tests, I was told. The ACT shows preparation, but the old SAT required more advanced thought processes. Btw, SET is different from CTY. CTY does accept ACT, as does TIP. SET is a lifetime study conducted by researchers.

Nature of the tests, I was told. The ACT shows preparation, but the old SAT required more advanced thought processes. Btw, SET is different from CTY. CTY does accept ACT, as does TIP. SET is a lifetime study conducted by researchers.

I know. It was a philosophical question. We are lucky to keep qualifying for CTY :)

It's got to really be frustrating for them, since the test keeps changing and testing different things! The SAT I took in the 1980's really doesn't have much in common with the one my DD took in November, and it sounds like the January version will be even more different, and even more focused on testing recall of facts instead of reasoning skills. Even the November one felt more like I remember the ACT being than the SAT.

• Like 1