Menu

CLE vs. FLL/WWE: ___ is not for you if....

dauphin

Seriously asking for feedback about why one program or the other is/is not a good fit. Kind of like Sonlight's list, "26 reasons Why ____ might not be for you. If ______.....

I am drawn more to CLE for a rising 2nd grader who has been in a Montessori school. She's quick to pick things up so I suspect the kind of repetition/time spent on a subject like in FLL will bore her. CLE, I suspect, may have a healthier level of review, but In a more spiral fashion? But this is also the kid that I'm considering Beast Academy for. I think I might be most drawn to CLE for the ease of use while also covering all the bases (especially over the years...I hate feeling like I might have forgotten something....)

I started with FLL for my kiddos but moved to CLE for the following reasons:

-- I didn't like the scripted format of FLL.

-- I wanted (NEEDED) to encourage more independence and CLE makes that possible. I have four kids (two preschoolers) and need to find areas where kids can work independently while I am busy with their siblings. 

I've been very happy with CLE so far; it's quite thorough when it comes to grammar, spelling and penmanship. I do supplement writing with WWE for my 2nd grader and Writing and Rhetoric for my 4th grader. 

• Like 1

OP, you mentioned how you're considering CLE for the same child you're considering Beast for, and I just wanted to chime in and say I use that combo. It feels very strange to have one subject be such incremental, spiral review while the other is so focused on creative problem-solving, but the pair is working really well for my eight-year-old.

He was not thrilled with CLE at first, but two months later, he picks it up and gets it done first thing in the morning with no complaints or grumbling. I'm loving having all my cursive, grammar, usage, and spelling in one place without requiring much teaching time. (Although I do go over it with him after he's finished and discuss any new concepts that were introduced.) Feeling like all the bases are getting covered is making me very happy, too.

For writing, I'm making up my own following the WWE model, as CLE feels a little too light in writing for what I want right now. (This seems to pick up in later years, so I may stop adding writing at some point.) I do copywork one day, the same copywork as dictation the next day, and then one or two days on writing a paragraph, and it's feeling like a good balance. 

• Like 4

Maybe I just have a concern about too much scripting...I like incremental for my own peace of mind, and I think this DD would like CLE for its independence - the get-r-done aspect! But she also I think is hungry for conceptual as well, and enjoys solving puzzles so conceptual math like BA seems right up her alley. 

Wondering if the old FLL (level 1&2 in one book and combined (?) with what became WWE?). Because I would also like to eventually do TC. 

I haven't used CLE, but I have used FLL 1-4 for several kids over a range of ages.  I've also used WWE and some WWS.

I don't read the script verbatim.  :)  And I never thought that having a script meant I was tied down to it with a 2nd Assistant Director glaring at me.  But I have found it helpful as a way to keep me on the right track.  And after you've done it for 1 kid, it becomes second nature.  I really like the way the parts of speech definitions are presented.  My youngest kid hasn't even gone through a  FLL book, but she's heard the definitions so many times...she knows them, I think.  :)

FLL is meant to be done together.  WWE is meant to be done together.

If a teacher needs kiddos to have independence, I don't think FLL and WWE fit the bill.

If a teacher doesn't enjoy repeating definitions, maybe FLL and WWE aren't the best fit, unless the teacher can just blithely disregard it (which is totally possible).

I personally like repeating the definitions in FLL and the spelling rule cards is AAS and the letter formation sequences in HWoT.  I think it's made me a better teacher as I work with my range of kids because I now use consistent, accurate definitions.   I was also that lady that LIKED reading the same FIAR book every day for a week.  I like memorizing poems and then reviewing them--that's part of FLL.  I personally like the conversational tone of FLL.  

I've only used FLL.  It's thorough and retention was excellent.  It was open and go and always got done.  Both of my kids liked it.  It was not flashy (I hate flashy).  The cons would be if you don't like scripted or a ton of repetition.  This can be addressed by being careful with placement.  I would not start with FLL1 with a 2nd grader.  You still might need to decide between 2 and 3. 

CLE LA may not be for you if:

You want integrated literature

You want to teach writing/penmanship/spelling/usage and miscellaneous LA skills (dictionary, homophones, etc.) as a separate subject

You prefer teacher intensive programs

You object to Christian-based example sentences

You don't want a rigorous program

You don't want to teach diagramming

You prefer chunk based mastery presentation as opposed to incremental teaching with spiral review

I've never used FLL, this is our third year using CLE over multiple grade levels. We've used 1st through 6th, except for 3rd.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say... we started CLE Language Arts about a month ago and I am AH-mazed at the results thus far!! I'm so glad I gave it a chance. One of the best curriculum buys ever. I'm saving so much time and my son is plowing through the workbooks. I love that it's 95% independent work he can do on his own. He really enjoys it too.

We also do FLL - why not do both? FLL takes hardly any time. You can always skip some of the lessons. I really enjoy FLL but I wouldn't compare it to CLE, they are so different.

• Like 1

They seem sort of redundant but maybe I need to look at both next to each other again. My other thought was to do the older combined FLL/WWE but my thought was that it might be overkill on grammar definitions among other things especially considering that we are planning on doing CC....

They seem sort of redundant but maybe I need to look at both next to each other again. My other thought was to do the older combined FLL/WWE but my thought was that it might be overkill on grammar definitions among other things especially considering that we are planning on doing CC....

We are in a CC community and use FLL. I sub the CC definitions into the FLL lessons. Works well for us.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have used both!  I did FLL 1/2 and FLL 3.  It was good--not too much writing for the writing phobic.  Clear explanations.  Fun poetry memorization included (and review built right in). Great for an auditory learner.  It can get repetitive and I never used the scripting.  The children who used it tolerated it.  They prefer CLE.  I needed something that didn't hinge on me teaching every single thing.  The memorized definitions from FLL have  helped in CLE--especially the list of helping verbs that are memorized with clapping.  You need to add handwriting, spelling and composition to FLL.  You can (but you don't really need to) supplement CLE with an extra writing program--like Writing with Ease.  

• Like 1

I like the looks of the CLE LA books I saw on their website. Could someone tell me how many lessons? Do they have a typical 36 week lesson format? Something different?

Which grade? Grade 1 is designed to cover around 75% of a school year, so the light units are shorter. Other grades are designed to take 170 days, 17/LU generally.

• Like 2