Menu

Help my dd find a career

My dd14 has always had a strong interest in art. She is quite good. My dh and I like to be practical when it comes to career/college choices. Dd has begun to realize that fashiondesign or costume design are highly competitive for not much money usually. Can u help us come up with other careers that might use her artistic side? I'm a big fan of occ outlook handbook. Just checked and graphic design has slow growth for only $44000/ year. Looking for something else so when course selection starts in February at public high school she will be picking classes that might help her decide on a career path. TIA

If she wants to stay in the art field practicality may not be the best approach. How far you go in an art career can often depend more on talent and luck than education.

That said, I am currently headed back to school to get a degree in graphic design for the practicality of it. It probably won't lead to a dazzling or extremely well paid career, but it will open doors to a stable job with benefits, something that I cannot have freelancing.

At this point, in high school, she should probably just go with something she enjoys. It will be very likely that she'll want to change paths later anyway.

A friend of mine was a double major of Art and Education (both her parents were teachers) she actually ended up doing art therapy in a children's ward.

My sil was a interior design major and ended up in industrial design.

here's a link that has a nice graphic separating some of the choices into similar groups Art Careers

Unless a child is super-focused, 14 may be too early for career specific classes.  Cover the academic core well, and her options will be wide open for college majors.  Include art-related electives to keep her school day interesting and motivating to her.  Within art, drawing is the foundational skill you need to demonstrate in a college portfolio to pursue an art-related major.  Even if she picks a different area of art for her major (fashion, sculpture, etc.), the portfolio is primarily evaluated for evidence of drawing skill.

Right. And you never know -- she may decide to major in/work in something boring and practical that pays the bills and keep art as a fun hobby. As long as you cover the core academic classes, any major will be open to her. She does not have to decide now. 

If she wants to do graphic design a good trick is to be in the marketing department of a company in a growth industry. So if, for example, pharmaceuticals are going to grow, these companies will need lots of design and layout people for studies, brochures, web sites, financial reports, logos, folders, signage, booklets, packaging, etc.

My friend majored in graphic design. She started out working in that field and developing her own business on the side. She evenyually had a strong enough side business to quit graphic design. Her business was painting furniture and wall murals for individuals. She has since quit doing that and developed a business creating videos for advertising and personal use. Her dh majored in painting. Ironically, he works in graphic design now. She and her have owned a home in a very high COL area for 15 years. They have enough disposable income to travel.

Sales and marketing may be a major that's a good compliment to a very creative artistic person. However, no matter what the outlook, I would not encourage marketing for anyone who is not super confident and extroverted. Success in that field is highly dependent on personality.

• 3 weeks later...

I was talking with a co-worker yesterday who mentioned that her uncle was an artist.  He loved to draw/paint but the money wasn't enough to support his family.  So he was a window painter for a large, well known department store.  While it wasn't exactly what he wanted to do, he enjoyed it and it paid the bills.  Then he supplemented his income with his art work.  

Since my boys have left home for college, I've been wondering if it's necessarily the best thing to turn something we love into a major source of income.  Some hobbies we love are very difficult to do that with.  I think some hobbies should be just that...hobbies.  At 14, your daughter has many years ahead of her.  I think exposure to many fields and courses is probably best at that age rather than trying to make an enjoyable hobby a career - even though it may eventually turn out to be that.  I know several men who are upper level executives but enjoy woodworking.  They can even sell their pieces.  It gives them a break from their career and allows their minds/bodies to do something completely different once in a while.