Menu

A bit of a brag and a message from my dd:)

Kerileanne99

This summer whilst on holiday my dd4 watched a YouTube clip of President Obama delivering the Gettysburg Address as part of a project and documentary by Ken Burns. She was very excited and decided that she was inspired to memorize the Address herself. She learned the first line, and I expected that to be the end of it.

However, she kept asking periodically so I printed it for her and she kept working on it. A bought her a little Abraham Lincoln puppet, and we read lots of books to place everything in historical context.

She did it, we recorded it, and submitted it to the project:) I am so proud of her...a bit because it is long, but mostly because SHE was inspired to do it and stuck with it. A couple of the sentences were challenging to get, and she would get frustrated. I am so proud that she persevered, this kid that gets so incredibly frustrated when her body and mind won't quite work together!

The message she sends is that this endeavor and our subsequent reading rabbit trails have made her very passionate about human rights and she hopes that today especially (anniversary of the Gettysburg Addresss) that everyone will take a moment to:

"Think about how they treat other people and what they can do to help, no matter what. Skin color just means some people have more melanin and won't get a sunburn as easily. That's a good thing, right?"

My mommy's in a wheelchair but she is still just a mommy. Everybody is different, but our DNA is mostly the same."

Sometimes it is hard not to giggle at her simplifications until I realize that for her it IS that simple:)

Anyway, here is a link to the Learn the Address website and her video:

http://www.learntheaddress.org/videos/date/

Very, very well done Alexandria! So proud of you. Yes, it is that simple. Young people like you are much wiser than some grown ups give you credit for! People are very much the same under our various skins. We all love, laugh, cry, and do crazy things. And all of us have it in us to be kind and helpful and extend a smile (even if it is shy) out to the world. Thank you for reminding me of this!

Very, very well done Alexandria! So proud of you. Yes, it is that simple. Young people like you are much wiser than some grown ups give you credit for! People are very much the same under our various skins. We all love, laugh, cry, and do crazy things. And all of us have it in us to be kind and helpful and extend a smile (even if it is shy) out to the world. Thank you for reminding me of this!

Aw:)

So kind. This really cheered her up. She is ill today and was quite upset that she had to stay home from everything. She said " see mommy, it works! Everyone just needs to speak up!"

You guys are awesome. I am so grateful I have a place to go to where people understand when a child decides to stretch themselves...no matter how seemingly big or small that stretch seems to the world, it should always be cause to celebrate and be proud.

Tonight she asked me to print out MLK's I have a Dream Speech! Yikes.

DD#1 prides herself on being a good memorizer. She was SO IMPRESSED by your Alexandria! 

So am I. Keep up the good work, momma! You are raising an impressive young lady, both for her dedication and her empathy. That reflects well on the job you are doing.