Menu

Mathnasium Trimathon -Oct 18-19

Dmmetler

It's a nice little contest, and since it's free, there's really no downside to trying it.

Thank you. I am going to enroll my DS into it as he is a contest loving kid too.

Do they call and try to sell you deals for mathnasium memberships later (since they ask for phone numbers etc?)? Or do they leave you alone after the testing?

We've done it about 3 year snow. No sales calls, but she does attend Mathnasium so probably no need. Two years ago,a boy in our center won the national level for his age. The award that year was around 1200 bucks and a game system, which they presented to him locally aT the club. It was pretty cool.....and of course serves as motivation ever since to enter the competition :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yaaay DD placed 1st in her grade level!

Congratulations!

DD placed 2nd in her grade level. She said she ran out of time on the mental math section. She also said she didn't care what place she got as long as she received a metal. Mission accomplished! We look forward to participating next year and our director said that DS can participate even though he won't be in 2nd grade. He is SO excited. 

Thank you for the heads up. DS participated and placed second in his grade level. There were 15 kids. We are happy to have the experience and hope to do it next year. I heard from the kids there that the test was almost similar to the practice tests. DS says that the mental math section was a lot easier than the practice test.

The center we went to was very good - they taught the kids how to do every section - with warmup problems and a lot of practice before each section. They did not allow us inside, so this is what I heard from the kids there.

Slightly off-topic, but can anyone comment on weekly Mathnasium (a class?) for afterschooling a bright but not challenged PS first grader?  I have a friend considering this and I don't know much about it.

No personal experience, but that sounds like a pricey way to go about it. A high school student who enjoys math could probably be hired to do fun/challenging math for a more reasonable price.

My kids did not go there but I once had a job interview at one center. From what I saw I didn't think it was a center for kids who needed advanced math. Most of the kids in there were just getting help to do their homework. But Mathnasium centers are franchises so a lot depends on the franchise owner. So your friend could talk to the owner and see what can they offer for her child. I didn't get the job because they wanted me to work 4 consecutive hours while I was available only for 2.

I suspect you could work something out with someone who tutors there. I actually discussed this with the franchise owner a couple of years back when there was actually a local trimathlon, and the owner basically said that she'd LOVE to tutor DD during the day when she doesn't have any regular groups, at her level, just because it would be fun to work with a kid who enjoys math that much. We never pursued it because it's a pretty long drive, and I saw no need to outsource math (and if I did, there are online class options that would probably be a better fit).

Slightly off-topic, but can anyone comment on weekly Mathnasium (a class?) for afterschooling a bright but not challenged PS first grader?  I have a friend considering this and I don't know much about it.

I actually work at my local Mathnasium. We have a few kids working ahead of grade level, but those kids are mostly there due to parents, not because they love math. However, the majority of kids are really struggling or just doing ok in grade level math. For struggling kids, it is a fabulous place and I've seen much improvement in the kids who come regularly, but I would say it's not the best option for an advanced kid. 

*Disclaimer that Mathnasium is a franchise and so every location will be different.