Menu

Why am I so horrible at taking medicine and vitamins?

DawnM

I can carry them in my purse, I can set my iPhone (I forget to do this too!), I can have them readily available, but I HATE taking them.

Today I opened my cupboard and saw my Vitamin D.  I KNOW I am very deficient in Vitamin D.  I know it would help some with my moods (thinking of the menopause and marriage thread) to take it.  

How can I do this without my mental resistance????

Dawn

I have to set my medicine right in front of me. I recently started thyroid tabs and they're right on my desk. my vitamins sit on the kitchen counter. I have developed a bit of a routine. Thyroid in the morning, another vitamin at lunch, the last in the evening. it puts a mental check in my brain and it's easier than writing it down now. Because if I write it down then I'll forget to mark it off. Maybe I should write it down when I take it. lol. 

I've been really bad about taking pills before, I feel a stronger urge to create routine with a prescription - not sure why though. 

I can carry them in my purse, I can set my iPhone (I forget to do this too!), I can have them readily available, but I HATE taking them.

Today I opened my cupboard and saw my Vitamin D.  I KNOW I am very deficient in Vitamin D.  I know it would help some with my moods (thinking of the menopause and marriage thread) to take it.  

Dawn

:bigear:   I've been working on mental resistance for about a year now - with only a little bit of progress.  I hate taking anything.  I hate doing anything that's not a "natural" fix.  Lately my body has been a bit more encouraging via pain, but I don't recommend that as ideal - and I still find myself mentally getting very frustrated, which even to me, is a bit unexplainable as I can't actually give a reason for it.  It should be a no brainer, but it isn't.

So yeah,  :bigear: or at least  :lurk5: .

Dawn

:iagree:

I have the same problem.  It's just not part of my routine.  I have so many other things in my head that I don't have time to get to that remembering a vitamin keeps dropping way down the list.  Keeping it next to my cereal (or breakfast food of choice) might help.  I like the idea of rewarding myself for choosing good habits - think it would be okay to have it with a glass of wine?  Just Kidding.

I like the idea of rewarding myself for choosing good habits - think it would be okay to have it with a glass of wine?  Just Kidding.

For me, to be a significant enough reward, that glass of wine would need to be a Mojito on a gorgeous beach.

The idea is appealing now that I think about it.  My bank account might be a little bit of an issue.  There's always something, no?

Once a week, I put my meds and vitamins in a pill holder that has the days of the week on top. It sits by my toothbrush so I remember to take them at bedtime. That being said, I noticed this morning that I somehow skipped that step last night. So, not a perfect system.

What worked for me was group my habits together. My first act in the morning is to put my contacts in. My prescriptions are right next to my contact case. At night, the last thing I do is take out my contacts, so my vitamins are also next to my contact case. 

There's the secondary issue, which is that often when I'm dealing with my contacts *life* is happening. Baby crying, kids calling out for breakfast, running through the list of things I need to do for the day...and that's when I make sure to say to myself "it only takes 10 seconds to take this vitamin." It's no time at all, and there's little reason to avoid doing it.

I agree with the others. It has to be part of your routine. You have to do it enough that it is second nature. It helps me to have one of those days of the week pill boxes. It stays on my kitchen counter where I see it in the morning (when I take my vitamins) and as a visual reminder during the rest of the day.

Chewables and gummies help me. I like the Nature Made chewable D, but it's for kids and only 400 mg. Our natural foods store gave away a peppermint flavored chewable that was either 1000 or 2000 mg--those were okay too. My calcium and multivitamins are horse pills, so I just got gummy versions of those. I don't mind the gummies.